2 Stroke vs 4 Stroke

GoldenMotor.com

CaliRebel

Apr 4, 2011
Santa Barbara, CA
I see the design of the 2 stroke engine kits as being close to the perfect design for a bicycle motor. I'm immensely grateful to the Soviet engineers that put the time into considering so many aspects of the engine and bicycles. I realize the cheap knock offs from China suffer from quality irregularities that weaken the case for these motors, but the decades of use have proven that the design is rock solid.

As it stands I've never seen a 4 stroke engine kit that has any real advantages over the Russian design. The 4 stroke kits I've seen are bigger, heavier, and awkwardly wide. The only reason I could see someone being swayed to buy a 4-stroke is if they needed something as reliable as possible, which is difficult to counter with a China 2 stroke. I would love to see a new generation of professional engineers tackle the motorized bicycle the way they did 60 years ago.

Does anyone think a well engineered 4 stroke engine kit could be made smaller, lighter, and narrower to compete with the China 2 stroke, or does the simplicity of 2 strokes give the design a permanent advantage at the size we're looking at?

The Ducati Cucciolo seems impressive, but I can't really judge its strengths/weaknesses well.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Two strokes in general will always have a size/power/weight advantage, it's inherent in the design - but, the biggest "issue" with the four strokes is that to my knowledge they're simply not readily available as a "kit" engine, or designed specifically for fitting in frame.

There's a huge diversity in engines ofc, but most of the four strokes you see for bikes are utility or lawn care engines, there's also the commonly available moped/pit bike motor. They're all fine ofc, but as they're all retrofits there's some problems. Utility engines aren't engineered to be lightweight, small or performance oriented, lawn care motors seem best suited for rack mounting & the pit bike motors are all horizontal in the displacement we're after... but the only reason those are "wide" is their intrinsic gear boxes w/clutches.

Basically the problem isn't about the two stroke's advantages, but the lack of a vertical 50cc four stroke engineered specifically for bicycles like the Chinese in frame two stroke.

In fact, a quality 49cc four stroke such as these: http://motorbicycling.com/f37/alternate-4-stroke-engine-list-19630.html have at least equal to or greater power output than the 66cc Chinese two strokes despite being a smaller displacement, solely due to the primitive design of the Chinese two stroke - which negates much of the two stroke's normal power to weight advantage. To get that you'd need to match or exceed manufacturing & design quality, which means using a Morini or it's equivalent, which clearly illustrates a two stroke's true potential.

The Chinese in frame two stroke kits really only have three things going for them, their sheer simplicity, the fact they're specifically designed to power a bicycle and their ludicrously low cost - combined, those advantages are hard to beat... BUT were there a vertical 50cc four stroke designed for in frame mounting I suspect there'd be far more folks using four strokes due to their overall reliability and efficiency (both of which could be negated were they as cheaply manufactured as the Chinese two strokers ofc).

So... while I believe strongly that "a well engineered 4 stroke engine kit could be made smaller, lighter, and narrower to compete with the China 2 stroke" - much depends on what is meant by "compete". Compete in price, simplicity and/or weight? No way in heck - how do you compete against a $80 motor with so few moving parts? Compete in actual output, efficiency & reliability? Absolutely, that's already been done.

TBH I believe the two vs four stroke debate boils down to "apples and oranges" - there's no real way to directly compare the advantages/disadvantages as it's about the rider's priorities far more than the engines themselves, the Chinese in frame kit being the most popular choice simply due to it's relative ease of installation and extremely low price. Aside from that I believe it's all about the right tool for the job & what that "job" might be is completely personal preference ;)

Last edited:

CaliRebel

Apr 4, 2011
Santa Barbara, CA
Basically I was asking if you were starting from scratch is a 4 stroke engine workable in the same space confines of a bicycle as the China 2 strokes, without adding some dramatic cost to the kits. I realize improvising the mounts is the major reason why 4 stroke engines all seem so awkward on a bicycle. Russian engineers clearly put the time into the the project that it required to get a good simple product. Doing that again with a 4 stroke seems like a matter of investors, which would probably bring a higher quality of manufacturing with it.

I assume better machining from a better factory would improve these engines quite a bit as is, but it's probably too difficult to judge what the market for a better quality kit would actually be. As it stands motorized bikes are still a tiny portion of the 2 wheeled vehicles on the road, but as it grow people will naturally want better options. Some people just aren't satisfied by something cheap and the China motors appeal certainly centers around their economical price. Even if they would pay more for quality manufacturing and precision engineering, I doubt you could get enough return to really justify your investment in a bottom up 4 stroke kit design. I think a grant from the Department of Energy would be about the only source of funding that might support the development.

I guess my second question is would an investment in a motorized bicycle engine be best directed toward better manufacturing of the existing 2 stroke design or better manufacturing of a new 4 stroke design? I lean toward a better version of the same, but mostly because I don't think the 4 stroke has enough real advantages to justify its design economically. I basically picture people buying a quality engine after their $80 China motor blows up, and they decide they want another and are willing to make a bigger investment. The success of quality aftermarket parts makes me think that people really do want to invest in their bikes.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Again I think it boils down to what the definition of "better" is as it pertains to the specific user - if by "better" it's simply a matter of higher quality and the most power in the smallest package (design), it already exists in the readily available two stroke Morini (as well as others ofc, like pocket bike motors), it's going to be hard to compete with such a well established brand that has a preexisting support structure with plenitude of repair, maintenance and aftermarket performance parts and still remain competitive in price.

If by "better" it's simply an improvement of the Chinese engine's manufacture to improve reliability, that's possible - but any improvement will result in a increased price, it would be critical to keep the price no more than say roughly half of what another, higher quality motor of a superior design as the primary selling point of such a primitive engine is of course - price.

Four strokes are simply different - there's no "better" between the two save what the end user decides. It has many "advantages" but they may not be what you personally consider "better" or worth the "disadvantages" as again, it's about preference.

If you're trying for the utmost in acceleration and speed performance - it'd be a quality two stroke.

If you're trying for the most economical build with the least investment of time and money - it'd be the Chinese two strokes.

If you're after quiet reliability and utmost efficiency - it'd be a four stroker.

I personally think if there were a readily available four stroke as ascetically appealing and easy to mount as the in frame two strokes for an even roughly equivalent price (meaning no more than twice the cost) it'd most likely be in great demand - it would also not need to be a completely "new" design as there's already proven examples. While I love the two strokes, they do have some disadvantages in today's market - specifically with those interested in efficiency and environmental concerns, like many bicyclists.

Last edited:

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
I started with 2-stroke chinagirl kits in '06, and I think they are great for what they are. Cheap, light, compact, easily rebuildable, lots of mods. They are fast, and lots of fun - when done right!

I did the 4-stroke conversion last year because I'm a long-range spontaneous type. Sure, most my riding is short-range under 20 stuff, but I got itchyfoot and might just undertake a 300 mile ride with a trailer on the whim. I'm not the typical sheep type justifying him/herself with a 4x4 SUV, but I am very likely to just take a big ride. I bet a lot of yous feel that voice callin :D And filling up my 1+ gal tank at the station takes under 1 minute pumpin.

CaliRebel

Apr 4, 2011
Santa Barbara, CA
By better I'm picturing myself in the shoes of a company planning to get into the market of motorized bicycle conversion kits. You like the low center frame mounting position for the engine placement, but you're not sure about going with a 2 stroke or 4 stroke. After having researched Morini Franco I'm increasingly confident it's sort of a non-issue because Morini is essentially doing what I'm thinking of. All the upgraded features plus the better manufacturing definitely make it the premiere engine around. The power to weight performance that they get out of a 50cc motor is astounding.

The classic reason why 2 stroke vehicle motors were banned centered around poor exhaust emissions, which isn't an issue with the right exhaust system. The CARB here will probably never be reasoned with, but the EPA will certify a 2 stroke with a proper exhaust so sales in the US wouldn't be that adversely affected for environmental reasons.

If I wanted to get into the business that badly I think I would contact the Morini shareholders with a proposition...