super noob bike question:)

GoldenMotor.com

mase1981

Jun 29, 2009
frisco
pllllease dont be mad at me:)
i've read and i've read.... LOL...
ok, my deal is this...
never new motorized bikes are an actual thing, better than the electric crap:)
i was thinking on a good cheap solution to get to work and home...
my work from home is like 15 miles.... not far....
i do it by car in 7 minutes....
now the wife got a new job on the opisite direction....
she needs the car.
and so i thought what will be good and cheap for me to get to work and come back and i found this idea...
and so i bought a 2 stroke 80CC engine kit which is on the way,,,,
now i need the bike and here where im scared...
some say dont touch walmart bikes some say its good.
i want to buy a mountain bike with front suspension.
walmart has it at 200$
but im afraid it wont be good.
what do u guys say?
what should i MAKE SURE the bike has in order to work with the engine kit and not break after 2 days or not fit with the kit?
i understood only front suspension and no rear break disk is recommended.
and V frame.
what else?
will walmart 200$ bike will be ok for this?
THANK YOU:)

reg454

Jan 11, 2009
michigan
I am going to get the schwinn link at walmart, if you know how to maintain bikes and tune the gears then you will be ok. The only thing that I will have to get is a front bracket to mount the motor, sick bike parts has them (because the down tube is big).

As long as you take your time putting the kit together you will be fine their might be a little fine tuning to do like chain tension, adjusting the carb.

If you can setup the rear chain from the motor without the tensioner that will be great, you might have to remove a link or two. Their are also half links that you can get.

It would be a good idea to pick up some extra master links for your chain like 3 of them in case you need them. My stock one broke the day I put my bike together the replacement one not yet and I have over 200 miles on it.

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
the walmart bike will be just fine. if you are traveling that far you might want to carry a emergency pack or cellphone with you.
emergency pack: small adjustable wrench,plastic ties,rubber tire patches and glue or tire flat sealant in a can or bottle,flashlight,spare chain master links,etc.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Mase,
A standard 26" 'V' frame bike will be the best choise for your first endeavor into motorizing a bicycle. The cruiser style frames such as the Schwinn Jaguar, Point Beach, etc, will require some fabrication in the front engine mount area. Most standard road/mountain bike frames will allow a 'bolt-in' installation of the Chinese 2 stroke engine kits. If you purchase a new bicycle you won't have to worry too much about the bearings, brakes and such as you would on an older used bike. Take your time during the installation, follow the instructions, if provided, and if not there are several sources here for quality installation manuals and on line help from some knowledgable bike builders. There is a wealth of information here on this forum to get you started. Since you have already ordered your engine kit this is reduntant but for future parts try to stick to reputable suppliers. Many are advertisers on this forum and will assist you along with many of the members here. Good luck, keep us posted on your progress.

Finfan

Aug 29, 2008
Tucson, AZ USA
The only real concern would be that the frame has enough clearance for the engine to mount in. Otherwise you can work around just about anything else. Just don't expect it to go as easy as the instructions say it will. There are ALWAYS mods and work arounds that need to be made.

mase1981

Jun 29, 2009
frisco
hi:)
thank you all for the great answers:)
so...
from what i understand, a 200 walmart mountain 26'' bike will do....
just to make sure the frame is not "fat" and it is V shape and im good? right....
i bought the kit from bikeberry. com site...
i have downloaded an installation guide, but i would love if you can point out a link to a guide some of u giys used that can be good for a first timer installation guy like me:)

reg454, u wrote : "you will be fine their might be a little fine tuning to do like chain tension, adjusting the carb" whats adjusting the carbs:)?
can one of you that already did it can direct me to a link of a bike in like walmart, target etc kind of places to a specific bike that i can buy and install the motor on? thank you so much for all your help!!!!:)

mase1981

Jun 29, 2009
frisco
hows these bike?
the store i bought the engine from recommended these
26'' Micargi M60 Men's Hard Tail Mountain Bike BikeBerry.com
they sell it for 129+29 shipment

or are any of these will work 2?:
Walmart.com: Schwinn Aluminum Comp 26" Men's Mountain Bike: Bikes, Scooters & Skates
Walmart.com: Kawasaki 26" Men's Mountain Bike: Bikes, Scooters & Skates
Is it ok to get a bike with aluminum body? Or is it recommended to get a hard still body for an engine bike?
Does it matter if its 18 or 21 shifts?

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2008
Northglenn,Colorado
My take is that old cruisers are teh win because the cruiser I have (MOOP2) I don't know what they did back in the days of real made in the USA bikes but I have bent many a wheel and this original bike with the original wheels still straight as an arrow.
Also on MOOP2 the frame is skinny. The front mount is mounted normally with no adapters and the rear mount is an extra mount with longer studs. I removed my studs and used longer bolts. Of course you won't just have an extra mount laying around just use a piece of wood with two holes to act as a spacer or stack up some washers it should work but I've never tried it.

Attachments

Last edited:

mase1981

Jun 29, 2009
frisco
thanx fore the reply man...
the thing is that i rather get a more "modern" bike lol
like the mountain bikes...:)
does any of u approve or know if the bikes i've provided from walmart will work?

mase1981

Jun 29, 2009
frisco
guys, another question...
if i got the 2stroke engine kit
without any additional shifting kit or whatever.
will i still be able to paddle regularly without using the engine and shift gears?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Mase,
Never having owned a Micargi I can only pass on to you that several members have had bad luck with cracking frames on this brand. Search the forum for 'Micargi' and you can read some of what has been written about them.
Aluminum frame bikes are fround on by some guys but unless you need to weld on it or plan to abuse it on rough roads at speed the aluminum bikes are okay. The Schwinn you are considering appears to have an oversized downtube which can cause some trouble with the front engine mount. Not insurmountable but challenging for a beginner.
Out of the three you're considering the Kawasaki might be the best choice. It looks to have a standard 'V' frame with sufficient room to install the engine. Don't limit yourself to these three bikes. There are hundreds to choose from so unless you're in a rush to build take your time, research and even test ride a few before making a decision.
Tom

Finfan

Aug 29, 2008
Tucson, AZ USA
You can pedal the bike with the clutch held down but you are still turning the gears inside the engine. It is possible but unless you are out for the exercise it is not joyful. Don't forget you also have and extra 20 pounds or so on that bike.

Comrade Alfonzo

Jul 15, 2009
Whidbey Island, WA
I am new and I need a 24"-26" FRAMED mountain bike and all the stores dont have any bigger than 21" looking under $140 any suggestions are appreciated, I live in a hilly area so if I need to pedal I need gears.

Comrade Alfonzo

Jul 15, 2009
Whidbey Island, WA
We checked there, those are 26" wheels but Gasbike says 24" or 26" FRAME, we will try a used place in Seattle, but it doesn't appear that anyone makes 24" or 26" frames. Also, is it completely necessary for a 24" frame if not, what is the smallest frame size available that will work for an 80cc:-||

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
if you find a bike with 24-26" wheels that is what gasbike is talking about, not the actually frame size.

from gasbike:
Bicycle Requirements:

This bicycle motor engine kit fits most Mens 24" and larger bicycles which includes mountain, cruiser, chopper and road bikes with a V-frame with at least a 8.5" height clearance for the engine. Larger frame size requires drilling into bike frame and use of the universal face plate.

Dimensions:

This 48cc bicycle motor engine kit is about 8.5" height 7" length 5" width and fits on most standard 24” – 26” or 25mm 29mm frame bicycle frame tubes. Larger frame size requires drilling into bike frame and use the universal face plate. This engine kit only adds about 20 lbs to your bike.

Attachments

Last edited:

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
dont get a bike with rear suspension or with a slanted top tube.
round tubes are easier to install engine on,over sized or oval tubes will be harder to install on. make sure the v-frame part has plenty of room.

dont use a roadmaster sport sx or a next avalon comfort bike.
front shocks are ok.

Last edited: