I know this is a frequent question..

GoldenMotor.com

joemama127

Apr 9, 2009
Texas
Yes, it's another "what bike" thread..but it's my first at least. I sold my bike years ago so I will be starting from scratch...I've never had luck buying used bikes so I would like to stick to new. Does anyone know if the Forge Vero LS 19" Comfort bike from Target would be a good choice? I don't want a beater but I don't want to put an engine on a $1k bike either. Thanks..

joemama127

Apr 9, 2009
Texas
Looks like the engine should fit...it will take a little finess to get it to work.
Thanks for the reply! I expect quite a bit of "finesse" (cursing and hammers) on my first try, but is there anything in particular about this bike/type of frame that will cause issues?

Last edited:

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
if youre going to pay $230 at target for a bike to put a engine on,atleast get a 26" bike.
that bike looks like a $80 walmart ripoff.
i have a 26" roadmaster sport bike walmart and its still too small,i would go with a 26" old school cruiser($99-180) or go with the 26" tallest skinniest mountain bike or road bike frame you can find.

if you get that 19" bike youre not going to have room for muffler and air intake with filter.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I second the tall bike frame. You need the space to fit the engine in. I found that you can bet the motor in a 24" sissy bike, if you rig a bar to old the fuel tank. It is better to go with the big bike.

You can get one with big tubes they make adapters for those.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Howdy JoeM. (great nic, cracked me up) Thats a good lookin' bike. (Link2bike) 27" wheels, springer seat and adjustable handle bars, Very cool.

All-aluminum lightweight 19" easy-mount frame with adjustable agronomic handlebar for laid-back comfort fits most riders 5'8" to 6'1"
Shimano 21-speed front and rear derailleur with grip shifters, Shimano cassette and KMC chain
Tektro alloy linear brakes, RST Suspension Fork and SR crank wheel
Kenda 700C tires with alloy light rims with 14G stainless spokes
Gel comfort saddle with suspension seat post for ultimate comfort
Men's 21 Speed Comfort Bike
27" Wheel Size Fits Most Adults
Linear Brakes
700C Kenda Tires, Alloy Rims, KMC Chain, SRAM Drivetrain, GEL Comfort Saddle
Made of Aluminum; Easy to Handle Lightweight Frame
Adjustable Handlebars

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I think walmart and target measure their bikes differently. 19" frame (not wheel size) will easily accommodate a chinagirl. I will measure tomorrow, but think you only need 14" of seat post on a V frame to fit the motor. Spookytooth uses even smaller frames.

Last edited:

joemama127

Apr 9, 2009
Texas
I think walmart and target measure their bikes differently. 19" frame (not wheel size) will easily accommodate a chinagirl. I will measure tomorrow, but think you only need 14" of seat post on a V frame to fit the motor. Spookytooth uses even smaller frames.
Yeah, that's what I was confused about...I believe the specs list 27" wheels. Of course, Target sells these by web only so I can't look at one in person.

edit- thanks Dan for providing the link...I guess I need more posts before I can do it myself?

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
You could put an 80cc 4 stroke in there and have room to spare. Plenty of clearance.

the adjustable handle bars are awesome.

Last edited:

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
o sorry, i thought it was a 19" bike(wheel size).i didnt know it was 27" wheel size
that makes a diffrence.but for that price: no disc brakes,no fenders,no rear rack or baskets,plus its aluminum. i could get a simular comfort bike at walmart for $115.
and its not like youre going to peddal it or carry it around after you put a engine on it.
when you put a engine on a bike its like a motorcycle,a steel frame is nice,good street tires,good seat,storage, and most inportant good brakes.

Last edited:

joemama127

Apr 9, 2009
Texas
o sorry, i thought it was a 19" bike(wheel size).i didnt know it was 27" wheel size
that makes a diffrence.but for that price: no disc brakes,no fenders,no rear rack or baskets,plus its aluminum. i could get a simular comfort bike at walmart for $115.
and its not like youre going to peddal it or carry it around after you put a engine on it.
when you put a engine on a bike its like a motorcycle,a steel frame is nice,good street tires,good seat,storage, and most inportant good brakes.
I haven't bought anything yet and I'm not dead set on any particular model....do you have a Wally World model number to recommend? My only requirements are no single speed cruisers (I plan to pedal more than motor for fitness reasons...not torture), and no hardcore mountain bikes since I'll rarely leave paved streets.

joemama127

Apr 9, 2009
Texas
they do have multi-speed crusiers,i recomend street tires.
i will look at the models and put them here sometime.
Thanks, that would be great. I'm not looking to drop $3k on a bike and join the Tour de France or X-games....but I also don't want a piece of crap that will fall apart within a year.:-||

joemama127

Apr 9, 2009
Texas
Walmart.com: 26" Men's Schwinn Point Beach Cruiser Bike: Bikes, Scooters & Skates
26" Men's Schwinn Point Beach Cruiser Bike 7-speed $180

Walmart.com: Schwinn Men's 26'' Delmar Cruiser: Bikes, Scooters & Skates
Schwinn Men's 26'' Delmar Cruiser 1-speed $130
(this is the bike i will buy sometime)
Thanks, I thought cruisers were all one speed with rear coaster brakes. I'm not crazy about how cruisers look but I think it would look pretty good with an engine/gas tank. Does Wally World carry these in-store at all?

grouchyolfart

May 31, 2008
Wahiawa, Hawai'i
Gosh, I like looking at your bike, Dan. Cause that's the same bike I'll be doing my first build on. :D...and now you got me thinking about a 4 stroke even though I'm still waiting on my 2 stroke kit from Dax. Meanwhile, there's a UH student who's moving back to the mainland and wants to sell his motorized bike for $200. Almost brand new cruiser and very little mileage on the motor. The bike's not running and the motor needs some minor tweaking to get it started. He's still off island so I still have some time to think about it. Geez, that'll put me at 2 ebikes and 2 gas bikes. Plenty for everyone in my family to play with? laff Me thinks his asking price is fair, but I'll probably make an offer and see where it goes from there. He really doesn't want to hassle with packing the thing. I gotta go do some creative financing. ;)