My Schwinn... electric now, gas soon

GoldenMotor.com

midnight340

Jan 21, 2012
Lawrence, KS
It's a great electric ride, but there is a limit to miles with the batteries.... It's possible I might just start a whole new bike for the gas motor, but I have too many projects already. I get time I might put up a photo of my 72V custom frame chopper/? thing.

midnight340

Jan 21, 2012
Lawrence, KS
With this motor (Chrystalyte's fastest) and running on 48 volts, it tops out at 35mph. Still easily has plenty of torque to pull right out from a stop. So I never pedal unless I'm trying to save batteries.
Riding really hard, I can probably drain the batts in 5-6 miles (full acceleration stop and go), but normal is more like 10-12. Slight pedal assist on take off, moderate speeds, 15 or 20 miles ...estimated... I never ride it easy. :)

Fugi93

Dec 30, 2011
illinois
With this motor (Chrystalyte's fastest) and running on 48 volts, it tops out at 35mph. Still easily has plenty of torque to pull right out from a stop. So I never pedal unless I'm trying to save batteries.
Riding really hard, I can probably drain the batts in 5-6 miles (full acceleration stop and go), but normal is more like 10-12. Slight pedal assist on take off, moderate speeds, 15 or 20 miles ...estimated... I never ride it easy. :)
That sounds like a carbon copy testimony that I would've gave.:) I could only do about 27 mph on my 36 volt system though. Buying batteries just got old and more expensive each year for some reason. What amount of AH's and weight are you hauling around on her?

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Keep the hub motor on the front when you add the gas motor. There is room for an engine and batteries in that frame. Use the electric only for acceleration.

midnight340

Jan 21, 2012
Lawrence, KS
Been a while since I thought about it.... 20 AH seem right? I did think about keeping both electric and gas.... always wanted to build my own hybrid :)

But this is another part of my thinking about gas... with the sensible and cheap sealed lead acid batteries the power system is about 80 lbs I think. Lithium doesn't really save much weight if you have enough batt. to live up to what this motor draws.
Gas would be lighter. But I don't know if I'd be happy without the electrics torque on take off. I haven't had a gas motor on a bike before, so no way to compare.

haste

Aug 2, 2009
af
Gas will be slower off the line. Up at 30 miles though the gas motor will own, ESP if expansion chamber and ect. Plus you can ride 20+ miles...

I have a rear geared hub motor that will net me 30 mph fast, but I don't wanna throw 400 in batteries... So I'm going gas again.

midnight340

Jan 21, 2012
Lawrence, KS
The electric drive components on the Schwinn run about $1200 new. (got mine for around $900) Can sell my kit for a few hundred.

I am trying to figure out how much I'd spend on a gas set up. I know it would vary a lot, but if I do it I want quality stuff that will last, AND I want power. Anyone here on the board with a GX160 Honda? That's what I was thinking about...

Last edited:

Fugi93

Dec 30, 2011
illinois
Been a while since I thought about it.... 20 AH seem right? I did think about keeping both electric and gas.... always wanted to build my own hybrid :)

But this is another part of my thinking about gas... with the sensible and cheap sealed lead acid batteries the power system is about 80 lbs I think. Lithium doesn't really save much weight if you have enough batt. to live up to what this motor draws.
Gas would be lighter. But I don't know if I'd be happy without the electrics torque on take off. I haven't had a gas motor on a bike before, so no way to compare.
How many watts was the motor rated for? Should be able to come up with a comparable HP gas motor that way. Mine was a front hub 650 watt (which is just shy of 1 HP) with a 60 amp controller. I believe my 49cc 4 stroke would easily outrun it from start to finish. Trimming 15 lbs off the bike also helps.

midnight340

Jan 21, 2012
Lawrence, KS
This is a 48 volt / 40 amp system = 1920 watts. So I would need a fair amount of motor to match the power. And a lot more to match the torque, I'm thinking.

Fugi93

Dec 30, 2011
illinois
This is a 48 volt / 40 amp system = 1920 watts. So I would need a fair amount of motor to match the power. And a lot more to match the torque, I'm thinking.
Is that what the controller is rated at, or the motor itself? I know I said my controller was rated at 60 amps (@ 36 volts), but the motor could never use that much, unless it was under locked rotor conditions or had a short or something.

I don't know your batteries AH rating or how many you have, but say you have 4 12v batteries rated at 15AH in series, that is only 720 watts in your gas tank. So I think that you are using a lot less power than you may think.

If I was to guess, I think you got a 1000 watt motor from the way it sounds.