Illegal(?) in Quebec

GoldenMotor.com

fff

Dec 3, 2011
Quebec
Found this page on the SAAQ website with a picture of the bikes we are building: Power-Assisted Cycle | Road Safety | SAAQ

It says they're prohibited, but does not cite a law, it simply says they're not authorized by the Canadian Highway Safety Code.

Does anyone know if there's a specific part of the Highway Safety Code that prohibits these bikes, or a Quebec law?

I've seen a few of these bikes on the roads here in downtown Montreal so I am very tempted to put together my own, but their explicit mention on the SAAQ website worries me.

Have there been any individuals slapped with hefty fines here in Quebec? I haven't found anything in the english media but I usually miss out on a lot of stuff that only happens in french in this province.

vachon644

Nov 27, 2011
Quebec city, QC, Canada
Hi, I'm in Quebec City and I've ridden my MAB downtown a lot this summer. As of now I went by the police 9 times and haven't had problems yet. I must admit though that I clutched in and used the killswitch almost every time. That being said, I believe that MAB would be considered legal if under 50cc if they were not homemade. Every homemade vehicle must go through an inspection procedure and that is why they're illegal.

vachon644

Nov 27, 2011
Quebec city, QC, Canada
However, moped that are not homemade (think of peugots, hondas, etc) are legal on the road without registration. They're illegal because they're homemade. I think one could have it registered as an artisanal vehicle given the bike had proper headlight, rear brake lights, properly distanced flashers, horn, proper brakes, etc. In the end you're better off having a scooter, as I do; the registrations and insurances aren't so expensive plus you can have a very high quality 2-stroke engine (50cc) with a ton of aftermarket parts available (mine goes about 85kph which is enough in the city).

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
You can't register them even if you add all the safety equipment. Ottawa said that the bike frames are to weak after testing them and will only allow mopeds and scooters that have been made by a maker that they have okayed.Then they are able to place a vin plate on them that makes them legal.

If you have an old frame with the vin number and an ownership you would be able to have it licenced but you may need a provincial inspection first depending on where you live.

Steve.

Reactions: Tom from Rubicon

C4CCS Guy

Mar 27, 2021
A few yrs ago, I was thinking of putting the gas motor on my trailer which would push my bike. There is no law against gas motor on a trailer.

Reactions: fasteddy

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
You can't have a gas motor on a bicycle or a trailer powering a bicycle if you use it on a public road anywhere in Canada. Electric power only and no more that 500w and 32km top speed. No gas powered generators running to charge the battery as you use it. You must be stopped to charge the battery.

The laws are very tough and the fines can be expensive.

Steve.

Reactions: Tom from Rubicon