Drum brake question

GoldenMotor.com

mojomoto

Apr 2, 2010
Minnesota
Im building a BMX/motorcycle. Top speed will be around 55. I would like better brakes than what was on the bike, at least in the front. Anybody have any experience with Sturmey-Archer drum brakes. I have 18 inch wheels and they are normally used on road bikes so..... they SHOULD work even better on small wheels...... I wish i could post a pic here you guys would get a kick out of it.

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Sturmeys are great brakes. I was running a 190 mm on the front of My Panther and it was great.

F_Rod81

Dealer
Jan 1, 2011
Denver, CO
Drum breaks work good but they have a spongie feeling if you ask me. If your looking for better breaking then you'll want to run disc up front, if you can pull it off then in the rear as well.

mojomoto

Apr 2, 2010
Minnesota
Mistake- brainfart...20" wheels not 18"!
I bought a Sturmey Archer 90mm drum for the front (giving it a try. Might work good on smaller wheels.), some new 2" wide triple wall rims and 2.25 wide tires.

Thinking of 12 gauge ss spokes. Or? 11? 10?

Have to remake a rear hub for 36 spokes and the rear sprocket mount and axle since I wont be running a 50cc motor (test motor) and will need a stronger chain. Keeping the rear caliper brake until i find something better. I hardly ever use my rear brake on my motorcycles except at parking lot speeds. (sprocket brake? sprotor.)

Keep the ideas going. Thanks guys.

kevyleven007

Sep 25, 2008
texas
s/a drum brakes are perfect.works about as good as a shimano coaster brake maybe a little better.not to be confused with those cruddy rear wheel scooter brakes some people put on bike wheels.Of course a good set of v brakes will work as good as anything and a lot easier to maintain and less expensive.A rear caliper brake will work as good as the pads/rim combo will let it.

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2011
Tyler Texas
I'm going to use Puch moped hubs with their drum brakes on my Worksman BTR build. I got a set of NOS really cheap.

They're strong, and have good bearings, and they were designed to stop more weight at a motorized speed. Plus the brake pads are a good size, and easy to find.

The drum brake/hubs will go better with the old school look of the planned build too.

mojomoto

Apr 2, 2010
Minnesota
I'm going to use Puch moped hubs with their drum brakes on my Worksman BTR build. I got a set of NOS really cheap.

They're strong, and have good bearings, and they were designed to stop more weight at a motorized speed. Plus the brake pads are a good size, and easy to find.

The drum brake/hubs will go better with the old school look of the planned build too.
Excellent idea. I looked all over for a spoked moped brake hub supplier...... I had no luck. I think the Archer hub will work. I can always change it if it doesnt.

Mrfixxit

Sep 5, 2011
Fremont, ca
I have 90mm sturmey archer in the front and rear.....stops my 4stroke schwinn very fast while retaining old school look.....rear hub also has internal 3 speed......

Last edited:

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
Welcome to the forum, Mrfixxit!

I have a Sturmey 70mm set on my bike, genny hub on front and 3-speed in rear. It took some time for my brakes to "bed in", but they stop fairly well now.
Wish I had bought the 90mm set instead, but I would have needed new spokes, too.

I think the 90mm will work fine for the OP.

Jan 13, 2011
WEST MIFFLIN PA
I seen nice hubs at 1977mopeds for arond 33-40 bucks, if it worked i'd go that route (no rag joint or sprocket adaptor;)

So who has used a rear moped hub and sprocket without difficulty.
- how does it fit the chainstays?
- how is chain allighnment?
- What to do about spoke length (26" wheel)?
- What type chain do the moped use/same as china girl?

Ie-mailed them re- these questions

I forgot to ask chain size ....doh!!

mojomoto

Apr 2, 2010
Minnesota
What gauge are the spokes on that wheel?
There are no spokes. Pressed half rim. Two sides. A left and right that unbolt from each other to change the tire.

Pit bikes have motorcycle sized spokes because fat drunk people seem to gravitate to them and beat on them. They are unbelievably strong.

Im neither fat nor drunk...