Anyone use chain adjusters?

GoldenMotor.com

Greybeard

Feb 8, 2011
Sequim WA
I'm building a '53 Panther and it has the front loading dropouts. My concern is that engine torque will be trying to pull the axle forward and therefore out of the dropout. I've seen a site that seemed to have hundreds of ready mades but can't seem to find it right now. Are any of you use anything to retain the wheel in the dropouts besides lots of torque on the axle nuts?

Thanks
Mike

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
I torque the nuts down tight. Is is recommended that one use washers between the nuts and drop outs to prevent the dropout axle slot from spreading under the added stress.

I have pondered a threaded axle adjuster similar to a motorcycle set up, but nothing more. Just pondering. It would be easy enough to add to the drop outs though.

headtrama

Jul 8, 2010
california
With the China two strokes I don't think you have anything to worry about . I have a few thousnd miles on my bikes without any trouble . Just make sure you keep them tight and check them from time to time .

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i don't think they make any for front loading drop outs (which are technically just "drop outs," since the wheel "drops out" when you loosen it. rear facing ones like on bmx bikes are called "fork ends," but are more commonly called "track drop outs" so people don't get confused.)

use some good washers inbetween the nuts and the frame and you shouldn't have a problem. they also make a serrated washer that'll grip better.

waistofhumanspace

Jan 8, 2011
michigan
I had plenty of problems with chain tentioners when I was using a rag joint sprocket from the kit, (junk) I switched to a high speed hub with band brake =(sprocket hooked to the hub) I havent had a problem since!