Florida Poll: Maximum Speed Limit

GoldenMotor.com

What Should The Maximum Speed Limit Be In Florida

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Yggdrasil

Sep 4, 2011
Greater Bangor Area
I feel like there should be no limit other than what you engineer. If a person builds a 50mph machine that's stable, has signals and whatnot, there is no reason the effort put into that build should be rewarded with fines/jail/ect.

Yggdrasil

Sep 4, 2011
Greater Bangor Area
However i can see the downside to higher speeds with halfhazard machines... I guess without equipment to deal with traffic 35-40 is more than reasonable... bikes not mopeds and all that.

James912

Apr 12, 2011
Florida
Any speed over 20 will make the state change the law for these motorized bicycles to be required to have a DL, register and have a license plate, insurance. etc. Anybody voting on a speed over 20 is nuts. Your not gonna get a law saying u can go over 20 without having to have a DL. Thats totally impossible. Remember they are considered bikes, therefore a bike shouldn't go over 20 in a bike lane...66cc is considered a motorcycle. Those u will never get allowed to be ridden in the bike lane without a DL, registration, motorcycle indorsement.

decoherence

Aug 23, 2010
sebring,fl
i put 35mph. i am trying to get mine as a legal moped.
35mph is a good speed for neighbourhood traffic to prevent a situation where you are being passed on 2 lane roads.
i think w/o drivers licence 20mph is a good speed.
especially if riding in a bike lane.

Fulltimer

Aug 13, 2010
Saint Augustine, FL
i put 35mph. i am trying to get mine as a legal moped.
35mph is a good speed for neighbourhood traffic to prevent a situation where you are being passed on 2 lane roads.
i think w/o drivers licence 20mph is a good speed.
especially if riding in a bike lane.
I think that is pretty good logic. Can you imagine how much politicians could mess that up by over complicating it!

Terry

SANGESF

Feb 23, 2009
Lake Worth
I put 25...
Most of the "Lycra crowd" can reach that speed with their pedal bikes, so motored should have the same limit.

Arnett Motor Bikes

Apr 23, 2011
Fort Walton Beach, Fl
i am pretty sure that is what's going on. the office of Rep Matt Gaetz told me that the bill is being constructed now and the changes are going to the house to be approved and then sent to Gov Scott for signature in to law. What I did on my end is I sent an email to Gov Scott's office requesting the bill be passed into law to allow for the gas powered bicycles. What I ask of everyone on here from Florida is to do the same thing. The more people that write him showing interest in having the gas powered bicycles might help our cause. Here is the link to contact him.
Florida Governor Rick Scott - Email the Governor
This is how we lobby to make this happen, by contacting the law makers directly and voicing our concern. Let's make this happen. It will take everyone on here less time to write and send this email then it would to get your kids into bed at night. Also find your local district rep and email them. here is the list of reps in the state.
Florida House of Representatives - Representatives
if you know where their office is located, take time to go over and talk with them on the issue. These are the things I have been doing for the last couple of months and it seems to be working. The time couldn't be more right for all of us to contact them, when they are constructing the bill. Remeber one thing!! There are only 120 Reps in the state of Florida and there is almost 19 million people that live and work in Florida. We out number them so our voice will be louder in numbers if we act now. With the day and age of computers this will be the fastest way to get our voice heard by the law makers. I do hope you all join me in the pursuit.