Tampa FL news story: Legal Limbo?

GoldenMotor.com

happyvalley

Jul 24, 2008
upper Pioneer Valley
Motorized bikes in legal limbo despite popularity.

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

According to Tampa police, riding a motorized bike on a public road or even a bike lane could land the driver in jail. Police said it's a safety issue. "If it's got an engine, they're not supposed to be driving it on the public roadway," Officer Kristina Duran said.
Because of the gas motor, the two-wheeled bikes are considered motor vehicles. Yet, riders can't get a license plate or register motorized bikes.
"They're not able to register these as a motored vehicle without a tag so now you're operating an unregistered motorized vehicle," Duran said.
Since the motorized bikes are considered motor vehicles, riders can't hop in a bike lane either. Instead Tampa police say, motorized bike riders must stay on private property.
Motorized bicycles in legal limbo despite popularity

Fulltimer

Aug 13, 2010
Saint Augustine, FL
I wish Tampa was pro bicycle !

It's all year long riding here. :)

Watch out for the giant RVs though !

Their rear ends sway in and out of the bike lanes !
That is because they don't know how to drive them. I had a 38' motorhome with a Jeep Liberty behind it with never a problem. But when your on a bike it is ALWAYS good to keep an eye on them.

Terry

motorbiker

Mar 22, 2008
Tampa Bay Florida
That is because they don't know how to drive them. I had a 38' motorhome with a Jeep Liberty behind it with never a problem. But when your on a bike it is ALWAYS good to keep an eye on them.

Terry
Hey for sure ! :)

A lot of dealers around and people are test driving them a lot.

A regular DL is all that is needed !

They won't even bother to put on a tag.

So when I see one coming I get off the road and wait for the giant swaying RV with no tag with an 80 something year old driver to pass ! :)

Get that motorized bike off the road ! ! ! It's not safe ! ! !

tbolt76

Jul 26, 2009
deltona fl
I think we should all start an online petition to legalize motorized bicycles all of them who agrees?

Last edited:

Arnett Motor Bikes

Apr 23, 2011
Fort Walton Beach, Fl
I'm sorry but they are not motorized bicycles in the state of Florida, they are Mopeds.
before you reply negatively, read closely to the state statues I have posted here.

322.03 Drivers must be licensed; penalties.—
(1) Except as otherwise authorized in this chapter, a person may not drive any motor vehicle upon a highway in this state unless such person has a valid driver’s license issued under this chapter
316.003 Definitions.—The following words and phrases, when used in this chapter, shall have the meanings respectively ascribed to them in this section, except where the context otherwise requires:
(21) MOTOR VEHICLE.—Any self-propelled vehicle not operated upon rails or guideway, but not including any bicycle, motorized scooter, electric personal assistive mobility device, or moped.
(77) MOPED.—Any vehicle with pedals to permit propulsion by human power, having a seat or saddle for the use of the rider and designed to travel on not more than three wheels; with a motor rated not in excess of 2 brake horsepower and not capable of propelling the vehicle at a speed greater than 30 miles per hour on level ground; and with a power-drive system that functions directly or automatically without clutching or shifting gears by the operator after the drive system is engaged. If an internal combustion engine is used, the displacement may not exceed 50 cubic centimeters.
320.01 Definitions, general.—As used in the Florida Statutes, except as otherwise provided, the term:
(1) “Motor vehicle” means:
(a) An automobile, motorcycle, truck, trailer, semitrailer, truck tractor and semitrailer combination, or any other vehicle operated on the roads of this state, used to transport persons or property, and propelled by power other than muscular power, but the term does not include traction engines, road rollers, such vehicles as run only upon a track, bicycles, or mopeds.
(28) “Moped” means any vehicle with pedals to permit propulsion by human power, having a seat or saddle for the use of the rider and designed to travel on not more than three wheels, with a motor rated not in excess of 2 brake horsepower and not capable of propelling the vehicle at a speed greater than 30 miles per hour on level ground, and with a power-drive system that functions directly or automatically without clutching or shifting gears by the operator after the drive system is engaged. If an internal combustion engine is used, the displacement may not exceed 50 cubic centimeters.
REMEBER THESE THINGS and one more thing that I have that I can email you, if you ask. I have a letter from the state attorney's office of Florida which states you do not need to have a driver's license to operate a 49cc MOPED. Hope this helps out.

tbolt76

Jul 26, 2009
deltona fl
Reply negative my a** you have just givin me a solid defense in court (they are only nailing me for no registration but it said bicycle not a car or truck) if these bike are legal tha pigs in florida must be mistaken The judge will probably think this whole thing is ridiculous and just dimiss it all. Arnett Motor Bikes
Motorized Bicycle Newbie I owe you a cold one buddy!

SANGESF

Feb 23, 2009
Lake Worth
Hey Arnet...

Why don't you show them the satutes from the DRIVERS LICENSE SECTION INSTEAD OF THE REGISTRARION SECTION that you've posted here.

In the mean time, show us this "proof" you have for the states attorney about this so called "legality if gas powered bikes"?
You keep saying you have this "proof" but NONE of us have actually seen it..

If you have it, SHOW IT!

tbolt76

Jul 26, 2009
deltona fl
Thats why theres a high crime rate! These geriactric rich ***** kiss a**es have to ban everything they dont like or if it inconviences them or if young people love it enough! I already sold my bike so florida can take their anti mb laws and shove them up their satanic a** i am furious beyond words that some jackass in a suit makes desicions for me and tell me whats safe or unsafe for me to ride Screw you mr politican. all of them can go rot in **** and i hope thse pathetic cops rot in **** for all eternity! oh and mr judge just give me my fine and go screw yourself!!

decoherence

Aug 23, 2010
sebring,fl
Florida Other Types of Motorcycles - FL Scooter & Moped Info - DMV Guide
Mopeds

State legislators define a moped as a vehicle fitting all of the following criteria:

Pedals that allow you to propel the vehicle

A seat for the rider

Three or fewer wheels

Motor of two-brake horsepower or less

Maximum speed of 30 mph on level ground

Automatic power-drive system

Displacement of 50 cc or less (for those with an internal combustion engine)

Mopeds need to be registered at a county tax collector office. The registration fee is $34.50, and you must renew your registration every year.

You'll receive a motorcycle plate for your moped. If you're under 21 and the registration is in your name, your plate will have a distinctive design and color.

Moped drivers need to have at least a Class E driver's license, and be 16 or older to drive a moped on a public road. A motorcycle endorsement isn't required.

You will not be allowed to ride your moped on bike or foot paths. All passengers under 16 must wear a helmet.

Moped drivers aren't required to carry Personal Injury Protection insurance.

Be aware that moped drivers have the same rights and responsibilities as other motorists. And, yes, moped drivers can receive traffic tickets, too.

Fulltimer

Aug 13, 2010
Saint Augustine, FL
Thats why theres a high crime rate! These geriactric rich ***** kiss a**es have to ban everything they dont like or if it inconviences them or if young people love it enough! I already sold my bike so florida can take their anti mb laws and shove them up their satanic a** i am furious beyond words that some jackass in a suit makes desicions for me and tell me whats safe or unsafe for me to ride Screw you mr politican. all of them can go rot in **** and i hope thse pathetic cops rot in **** for all eternity! oh and mr judge just give me my fine and go screw yourself!!
I understand that your angry but you should have cooled off before posting the above message. The name slinging isn't called for in my opinion.

Terry

SANGESF

Feb 23, 2009
Lake Worth
I've already posted in another thread, a signed, official document on letterhead from the DMV CLEARLY stating that has powered bikes will NOT be registered, can NOT be registered legally, and are NOT ALLOWED on public roads..

I don't understand why everyone is discussing conjecture and theory, when it's been plainly shown they are illegal to use on public roads.
Whether you have a license or not.

Here it is AGAIN for all to see..

If anyone can produce a document to the contrary, I would appreciate it very much..
Unless a document that states you may use a gas powered bike on public roads, that's all I got.

tbolt76

Jul 26, 2009
deltona fl
If anyone can provide solid evidence that mbs are legal I plan to not only use it for my case but I will use it to file a lawsuit aganst the volusia county sherrifs office If i win th suit ill use that money to get my mb back!

Arnett Motor Bikes

Apr 23, 2011
Fort Walton Beach, Fl
Good day to everyone. As you may or not know I have been battling for a lack of terms with local law enforcement in my local area. Just when I have them on something they seem to pull rank on me and tell me that the bikes are motor vehicles. I have done a great deal of research into this matter, and yes I run a business building them. I do have an active interest for the sell, but more importantly for what they really are. An economical means of transportation for anyone needing to get to work, school, or to the store. I have been through the city police and have a letter from the Police captain stating as long as they do not go over 20mph you can ride them as a regular bike. I also "funny enough" have visited the Sheriff's dept (which I currently am in a shouting match with) many times in the year of 2010 and repeatedly told they are bikes and you do not need a license. Armed with this information I continued to build and inform my customers of proper riding and rules of the road concerning a motorized bicycle. It wasn't until here recently did I find out that there was a few deputies out to stop the riding of our motorized transportation. My customers would call me at different times during the month saying that they were pulled over and harassed. I was in shock as to why they were getting pulled over. So I did the right thing by contacting the sheriffs department and tried to get to the bottom of this. As I entered the office I was meet with a familiar eye. It had been the deputy I had been talking to all this time. I asked him briefly about the issue and he told me not to worry about it we were ok. So I went on my happy way and continued the business as usual. Wasn’t until I was pulled over about 2 months ago did I really get fired up about it. The deputy walked around the truck quickly and told me that I was operating a moped without a tag. I tried to explain to him that I was operating a motorized bicycle. Well he heard nothing of it. Sharing everything in the world with me, but not listening to a word I was trying to tell him. So I did what any intelligent person would do, I changed the subject to something else in hopes I could get away from him quick. It worked—I started in on the truck he was driving and that’s all it took to turn his attention. Well you might add was this it for me? Not in the least. I this time was going to go to sheriff Ashley himself, after all I knew the man and go to the same church. You might say why didn’t you go to him in the first place? Well the reason is, because of my military training you always try to solve the problem at the lowest level possible. And now that I had gotten pulled over and threatened with jail time and whatever else came to the man’s mind, it was time to go to the big dog with this. But I never got to see him on the matter I was referred twice down the line to a sgt Jones. This guy was in charge of traffic for the county. I thought maybe this is the level I need to get it straightened out. So I got a phone appointment with him. When we spoke he mentioned that they were motor vehicles and I asked why he was stating that. His answer was because they were self propelled. I thought for a second of how he was dead wrong, but he said he would contact the DMV and ask himself to make sure. At this point I thought well now we will get somewhere with the TL-10 referring them as motorized bicycles. This should be an open and shut case for the issue. At least I thought this until he said the DMV lawyer he knows was an “old fishing buddy”. Right there was the point I lost the hope. And sure enough four hours or so later I found out the same bull they were feeding everyone else. Another dead end…..ok but one good thing came out of the conversation with him, he said something about the law getting changed. I thought this is the way to do it. So I mounted a crusade to meet with my Rep. his name was Matt Gaetz. This guy was a younger guy and I thought maybe I can get him on my side and win this. Well I made the meeting and had about a week to prepare. I made up two folders containing anything from state statues to email traffic to other state statues for easy reference for the law to be changed. He was very impressed with the information I presented to him and demonstrated. You see I took him outside and showed hime a gas powered and an electric powered motorized bicycle. He had told me that there seemed to be no difference between the two other than the power of which it helps the rider. I thought this might be the right guy for the job, I had a good feeling from him that he was going to help. He had stated to me that he was going to get with the sheriffs dept and see what the deal was, and if he didn’t get anywhere he would go to his friend the transportation rep for the state of Florida. Wow right? This had to be it I thought, but alas no. he had sided with the sheriffs dept and backed away from me. You see I didn’t realize this, but he was put in office from one of the most wealthy auto dealers in the panhandle of Florida. What does this have anything to do with it you ask? Well the big Sheriff Ashley is married to the guy’s daughter. Got to love a small town!! So I went nowhere with the rep. I was very disappointed in the result there. So it brought me to another change of plans for the business, I started to sell online only and would not build or sell a bike to anyone around here unless they were fully aware of what the sheriffs dept’s stance was with the bikes. You know the people just didn’t care about it, they still wanted the bikes, so I built them and they ride them. So which brings me to one of the last parts of the story the letter. Little did I know that one of my customers was pulled over in bay county Florida on a bike that I built for her. She had it rough, she was 16 miles from home and the trooper would not let her move the bike. She had to call her father to come and get her and the bike from the side of the road. He was not a happy camper with the trooper because of the stress he was creating for everyone. Long story short > she got the ticket for operating a motor vehicle without a license. The end result was the district state attorney’s office did nothing to her. In fact they gave her a letter from their own office stating that a license was not required to operate a bicycle with a helper motor. I have a the pieces to the puzzle on this. Starting with a picture of the bike, the receipt for the purchase, the ticket issued, and the letter given to her so she can ride again. So you see I do have a lot of time invested in this issue for myself and everyone in the state to ride in peace.
Going now to the statues in Florida lets look at the 322.01. now when you read this you think well it must fall under the self propelled thing because it doesn’t saying anything about a moped, well your right it doesn’t state moped in the definition for a motor vehicle, but according to a phone conversation I had with the district state attorney. He stated” this is a simple answer, who ever wrote the law did not look at 316.003 or 320.01 when they created it. This is why the case will be thrown out every time, the other two laws state something different on the same issue the other one is referring too.” So for the record mopeds are not motor vehicles or bicycles with helper gas motors on them. Read 316.003 about a motor vehicle and moped and 320.01 on a motor vehicle and moped. The sheriffs dept forgets to mention the other two laws that state the exact opposite of what they are saying. Look closely at the definition of the moped, they are not self propelled they need human pedal power to permit propulsion it reads this clear as day and we need to push the issue ALL OF US IN FLORIDA. In closing I would like to state that I have posted the letter and the ticket given to her on the very bottom of my home page. Home If you would like a copy of the letter email me and you will have it shortly. Yes SANGF I will give it to you this time.
Hopefully I was able to give you some sort of an idea of what has happened to me in the last year or so.
Reference material used: Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : Online Sunshine http://www3.flhsmv.gov/DMV/Proc/TL/TL-10.PDF district state attorney’s office Stacy S Sharp/Florida Bar#0065066/850-872-4473

SANGESF

Feb 23, 2009
Lake Worth
That's all well and good, however.. I see nothing anywhere saying ANYTHING about a GAS motor anywhere in either of those documents.
The actual POLICE REPORT is what we need...
The report has ALL THE DETAILS..
The ticket is just that, a ticket and is not informative in the least.
The "no information" letter has NOTHING in it at all that has the word GAS.
I've seen nothing in either of those documents that shows Mrs. Paxton was riding a gas powered bicycle (on ticket it only states bicycle) nor was riding (and not pedaling) when encountered.
I've seen documents like this before and when you get to the rationale of the issue, you find out, it's not necessarily what you think...