Centrifugal clutch question

GoldenMotor.com

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Ive had a look online for a centrifugal clutch, but all o have seen are clutches with sprockets, but i need one with a pulley. Can u get them with a pulley? If not can i remove the sprocket and install a pulley?

Also can you put the clutch on either the primary or secondary drives?

As i only have around 45mm between the two pulleys on the jackshaft, so if the clutch is wider then that i may have to put the clutch on the secondary. Is that ok? I mean does the clutch engage by powering the shaft or also by powering the pulley/sprocket, depending where in the drivetrain it fits best?

I have a Villiers 98cc motor with a belt pulley threaded on the crankshaft so the clutch has to go elsewhere

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
If you place the clutch on the secondary drive, I'm thinking the clutch will be activated at a higher rpm than it was designed to. The secondary drive shaft is revolving at a lower rpm than the crankshaft.:-||

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
So im better off keeping it on the primary drive? That means i need to put it on the rear primary, if it can fit in the 45mm gap i have on the jackshaft.

Hope this isnt a stupid question, but i just want to be sure. Will the clutch still work the same, by the motor powering the clutch's pulley will it engage the shaft? In other words its working the opposite way then if i put it on the engines crankshaft. Will it still work the same?

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
you would have to spin the shaft, spinning the drum wont engage the shoes.
Damn! I was hoping that wasnt the case.

In that case my clutch can only go in one place, and thats the front pulley in the secondary drive.... but now my RPM's are going to be off for the clutch???? Will i definitely need lighter springs for the clutch?