My 48cc khs

GoldenMotor.com

steampunk

Mar 10, 2011
lakewood co
Hey guys,

So this is my second official mb build..one other project still stuttering on...the first bike got stolen so this is its replacement

Power Plant: F50 from dax...thanx duane!
Frame: KHS Montana Descent..all chromoly butted tubing me likey
Wheels Ritchey/shimano old schools...good bearigs though and a threading freewheel setup
Fork: crrently the stock fork for the bike chromoly
Seat Walmart special but its a comfy double spring
Tires Bell streamliner...15 bucks a peice fast and quiet...i give em a thumbs up
Soon to come...different bars maybe a different seat and some sort of front suspension

She aint pretty yet...but ive gt some ideas for this one .wee.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
That seat does look pretty comfy. This one on my new bike is like dental floss for your as2!$5

steampunk

Mar 10, 2011
lakewood co
so some more work done...rode it down the street like a block and came back on motor power...good to go...just raining today....take it out tomorrow and start the break in dnut

Last edited:

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
If your using the gray/green "rubber" fuel line get rid of it as soon as possible. The stuff is brittle and can snap, spilling fuel all over your motor and having a fireball between your legs will ruin your day.

Less that $6 for hose and filter from a motorcycle shop.

steampunk

Mar 10, 2011
lakewood co
i am most definetly not using that crap lol....but thanks :) im using the clear stuff you get for your weedwacker etc.....got about 20 miles on it so far...lovin the new motor...put v brakes on it this morning....gonna try to get like 50 miles in today

steampunk

Mar 10, 2011
lakewood co
got my 50 in today...motor is getting stronger! dance1 i just hope im not breaking it in to fast...running the wal mart super tech stuff in 16:1 but have found my self wot more then a few times but peddle up all the hills....alot here in the western denver metro.... no excessive smoke or anything and it feels like it wants to leaner but im gonna be on the safe side and run the rest of my heavy mix through...abouta quart and a half then switch to 24:1...sound about right? ive always delt with car motors and harley motors so im thinking in reg motor fashion...

been temping the motor frequently...generally been from 175-195...but spiked after a hill at 219...hasnt been hotter then that so far unless i missed it....oh and thats around the plug by ir temp sensor..usually accurate to 3 degrees +/- havent pulled the plug but with the 16:1 im not going to get an accurate reading anyways......running a ngk bpr6hs cuz well ngk plugs just work.......anyone that has broken in a few wanna chime in?

nothing has broken or anything ... just reg couple bolts vibrated loose had to relax a stiff link in the drive chain....nothing major...just want to make sure im going the right direction lol

so here is the bike that got ripped too...the first official build...

Last edited:

matthurd

Dec 13, 2010
manchester NH
for me a 32:1 ratio was used for break in, then after 2 gallons through i went to about 40:1 (roughly 3oz of oil) and it started being a much smoother queiter ride.

imo 16/24:1 is way to much oil, even for break in.

just my opinion.

also from what ive read here (and experienced) a hard break in is your best bet. i run it WOT most of the time, just gotta have it mounted real solid, and even cruising at WOT it's a smooth ride.

worked great for my bike.

Egor

Jan 30, 2008
Hurricane Utah
looks like a good engine kit. Large fins on that kit will keep the engine from heat soaking, should make more power longer. Good looking build, have fun.

steampunk

Mar 10, 2011
lakewood co
so i like to use pod shifters for my clutch...also handy to run your brakes reg..... but i found that the shifter i was using wasnt throwing enough cable....if you cut the head off the arm on the actuater linkage...rod with a flat spot...and drill a hole about a 1/4 inch below the edge of the head (not all the way through copy the seating hole in the head....then use a dremel cutting wheel to extend the slot down a little more for cable clearance...you can make any pod shifter work for your clutch a bit better...i also pulled the linkage in a little more so ide stop snagging my pant leg on it...

what i cut off

also shaved the cover for the chain etc

steampunk

Mar 10, 2011
lakewood co
so i got tired of all the noise in my clutch as well as it not fully grabbing even though its newr....so i pulled the clutch disk and noticed that not thw whole disk got dimpled and it wasnt exactly flat...to be expected...so i took my milling file and went to work.....the clutch is more responsive and makes less noise now

after flat hand milling redimpleling and cutting reliefs for any debris that may end up in the friction area

oh and i have the round puck clutch but did something simular on another bike with a rubber puck clutch...not as complete though and had positive results

this type of clutch (pic was taken showing uneven wear trademarks of a stock un modified clutch plate slippage)

Last edited:

steampunk

Mar 10, 2011
lakewood co
boredom and rain combined do some odd stuff......

ratacruisatracker!

build continued in the cruiser section.......

Last edited:

steampunk

Mar 10, 2011
lakewood co
the big chop was fun but i got the khs put back together and some new goodies too...41 tooth sprocket and this mongo pipe...just gotta work on the jetting

steampunk

Mar 10, 2011
lakewood co
the new pipe...and a goped race muffler i had laying around

pipes bigger then the motor loli wont be able to take full advantage till next week when i get the new carb

Last edited:

steampunk

Mar 10, 2011
lakewood co
ive got a question for some of the 2stroke performance guys...especially flybytaco if you see this...if increasing the jetting dosent help the bog at 25mph...5300rpm will adding a longer header pipe work?...i have experience with rc nitro motors and they sorta kinda not really work the same...a longer header moves the band farther out in the rpm range.....or is it just inherent wiht the pipe and i need to gear way down? i see a few different things..just wondering what you guys think?

the type of flange and such that the pipe has looks like it would easily except a longer header pipe addon it definetly has more power through the range i have right now though...good things so far

misc other important info...im running a ngk bpr7hs right now...i put the stock 4 in it to see if a hotter plug would help or not...it was worse...moving the eclip down one didnt help...made it flatter on the bottom and top out in the same place relatively.....its 30% humidity and at 6k elevation when i collected this data...im a car guy lol...im sure im just missing something

Last edited:

steampunk

Mar 10, 2011
lakewood co
i shaved the little bit of skirt that was showing last night on the intake side...omg ...even with my stock nt carb this bike has sooo much more power now...