need a lil help w/ stock carb.

GoldenMotor.com

decoherence

Aug 23, 2010
sebring,fl
to preface. i never used the stock carb before. i used my cns carb. i had a bent axle & before i could get a chrome molly replacement i swapped out a lot of parts. spark plug, wire, billet intake & mounted the engine a little different & a harley sportster gas tank & petcock.
by the time i got it back together it wouldn't run & i got so frustrated that i didn't touch it for a couple of months.

so today i put the stock carb on & it didn't want to start but since i also swapped out the pedal chain from 20t to 22t i just kept pedalling & i could hear it want to start so i kept pedalling.
boom it starts. i give it any throttle it starts to die.
it does slowly pick up speed . i could get it to 17mph & when i stopped it idles fine. i just can't give it any throttle or it wants to die.
before i put the carb on i did check the clip inside. it was on the top notch. i didn't put it there.
while sitting here i'm thinking that maybe i should choke it a little. i don't know because i never needed to choke the cns & today is a warm day.
sorry if i'm rambling i haven't slept yet & going to bed as soon as i post this.

thanx

decoherence

Aug 23, 2010
sebring,fl
man it is hard sifting through all the replies. lol
ok so this is where i'm at.

so i started to take it for a ride to the local swap meet to show the guy that i bought my sportster tank from my bike.
it is less than 2 miles away. a block away my chain broke.
so i went to tractor supply got 41 chain. i love how the bike feels w/ the new chain.
btw everyone said the chain is $10. mine was $16 & i had to skip the chainbreaker since the cheap one is $35. had to do it by hand.

ok back to the intake.
the bike runs pretty good w/ the choke on. so from reading that means there is an intake leak. i have the billet intake. well the o-ring on it broke. so i tried tractor supply again but the closest fit they have was,
inside dia. 9/16 outside dia 3/4 thickness 3/32.
well it is ever so slightly thick.

anybody know what the proper size & where to get the proper o-ring for the maniac mechanic billet intake?

after that i will then try to tune the carb.

decoherence

Aug 23, 2010
sebring,fl
ok! running pretty good now.

for reference the o-ring that fit the maniac mechanic billet intake is 5/8.
the guy said it is a standard a/c o-ring.

moved the c-clip from the top to the middle. might move it up to 3/4.

thanx on all your suggestions. you guys rock.

oh wait. almost 100 page views in just short of a week & no responces.

so i guess i rock!

it sucks though that the carb i was prev using had a remote choke & i never needed it. now i have to use the choke w/ no remote.