expensive cure for cheap china coil

GoldenMotor.com

flybytaco

Metal Molding Madman
Oct 17, 2009
seekonk MASS
As many of you know the coils or as some call cdi's love to die out. I came up with a cure but it's not cheap and you need plenty of clearance between the head and frame. Its a coil out of an 06 yamaha R6 new they retail for 100 bucks I just happen to have 4 hanging around from my mc mechanic days and they actually work. Heres a pic

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
Don't know if anyone's posted this before but there is 48-50v AC coming off the blue wire at idle. Well at least that's what my mag puts out.

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
Dammit, now I gotta re-check it. I'm almost positive I had it on the 700v scale. lol

phlangfert

Oct 9, 2010
greeneville tn usa
he may be right i checked mine cause i think my coil is fried n mine is putting out 78v just turning the eng over vey fast ?????????? but the mag looks clean n new not burned?? i bought this bike used in not runing cond was told the coil may be bad so i started checking things n noticed the mag was putting out alot of ac voltage i been thinkin of converting it to a 12 v system since its putting that much ac voltage out by using a 12v reg/rectifier n using a reguler motorcycle coil n maybe a igniter unit also whats your thoughts on this

phlangfert

Oct 9, 2010
greeneville tn usa
update to my last post i have figured out why the high voltage reading well on my mag any way the soldered groung thats on the mag looked normal but i discovered that the wire was broke down inside the plastic coil housing thing dug this wire out which was a pain in the a#@ soldered it back n now i got fire on my coil again later todat im going to put the eng back on the bike n see how it runs n how long it runs i keep u guys updated

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
48- 50 volts????? Are you sure it wasn't 4.8- 5.0 volts? (It's only a 6V system!)
Norm,
Kev is right. Keep in mind that it is AC voltage and is dependent on engine rpm but I've taken readings with a Fluke digital and my good old Simpson 260 and confirmed what Kevlarr posted. I've actually seen it closer to 60 to 80 volts on the engines I've tested. The white wire will produce something in the range of 4 to 9 volts, again, AC and depending on rpm.
Tom

WildAlaskan

Sep 30, 2010
alaska
Great Magneto Mystery

have you seen the new mags there gonna start making aparently they finally figured out that there current mags such

i am just wandering why they dont make a magneto powerfull to produce a liable 12 volt charging system would it really be that hard to creat a more powerfull mag and cdi so we could create a 12 lighting system that charges off the motor

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
now I want to know the rotor construction and up-grade the magnetic power,is the whole rotor make the magnet or is there bar magnets inside the rotor

ivan H

Oct 8, 2011
australia
50vac at idle is normal. Lighting coil is 6vac at a few hundred milli amps, cdi coil is much more. The voltage is then rectified, the positive 1/2 of the sine wave charges the capacitor. When it starts to go negative it triggers the gate of the silicon controlled rectifier which allows the energy stored in the capacitor to discharge into the ignition coil, a few hundred volts discharges at revs. Capacitance discharge ignition

ivan H

Oct 8, 2011
australia
Actually, I've never checked with a meter but I would expect a fair bit more than 50vac at idle. Remember, it needs to generate "tens of thousands" of volts at the plug to get it to spark under compression

motor_bike_fanatic

Jul 26, 2011
Pennsylvania
There is a 12v lighting system that runs off the magneto, sold on ebay. the name of the store is wonderful creations, and they actually have many different options ranging from just a lighting coil and lights to a fully chargeable system. If I had the money, I would go with the fully chargeable system because it would be more stable. they have 6v and 12v systems, but dependiing on which setup you go with, it can cost up to almost 200 bucks. I currently just run a flashing LED tail light and a bullet light that I have converted to LED myself. Gotta think, if the lighting system depends on the engine running, then if your out at night and run out of gas or something goes wrong with the engine, you may lose your lighting. with LED lights, you get a long battery life, so you dont have to worry about losing lights unless your batteries die.