Maxxis 26 x2.5

GoldenMotor.com

rgvkid

Sep 21, 2008
Los Angeles,CA
Im Starting a Build soon and i want to get my rear tire setup first and work from there. Im thinking of the Maxxis Hookworm 26x 2.5. I like the Fat/wide tire for the rear. Was wondering what is the best spot to find a decent price on theses tires? Also, What rim size would fit best? I currently have some beach cruiser wheels but i think the rim is to skinny.

Any tips or links would be appreciated

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
most beach cruisers have 26x2.125 tires. the 2.5 hookworm will fit no problem.

they're great tires. price-wise, you could google-shop for them, and piston bikes in simi valley should have them in stock.

with a wide tire like that, you'll probably have to work out the chain alignment so they don't rub.

FileStyle

May 27, 2008
Decatur,IL
26 x 2.3 are about as wide as you really want to go! I buy from biketiresdirect.com
26 x 2.2 maxxis holy roller is my choice.

rgvkid

Sep 21, 2008
Los Angeles,CA
Well I found a place in OC that has them for $33.

But it looks like I might just pick up a Walmart Cruiser. They are selling a Huffy Nel Lusso Vintage style cruiser that comes with 12 gauge spokes on a 2.5 inch rim. On my project, im going to build my own frame and have a Disk Brake on the Jack shaft so Im not too concerned about the cheap Chinese Coaster brake on the Huffy aside from using good grease on the bearings.

For $129 I can use the 26x 2.5 wheels, 26 x 2.5 fat tires(Temporary), Sprokets, Hubs, Bars, New Seat, Basket(For GFs cruiser) and hack the rest or sell the frame. I couldn't even buy all these parts for $129. Unfortunately, I couldn't find any Used Huffy Nel Lussos on CL. Maybe I can Find one with a Scratch and try to get a Mark down.