Gas Bikes OK in OK...Except of Turnpikes

GoldenMotor.com

BikeBillboards

Feb 3, 2009
Tulsa, OK
1) Gas bikes are the legal equivalent of bicycles. 47 O.S. § 12-701

2) Bicyclists and gas bikers are drivers of vehicles that operate in traffic on public roadways. 47 O.S. § 11-1202

3) Motorists must allow three feet when passing gas bikes. 47 O.S. § 11-1208

4) Lane-splitting prohibited. 47 O.S. § 11-1103

5) Government may not arbitrarily prohibit gas bikes from any roadway. 47 O.S. § 11-313

6) Gas bikes prohibited on turnpikes. 47 O.S. § 11-1401

As of 1 April 2009, there are no insurance, training, or registration requirements for bicyclists or gas bikers. But, there is a grassroots effort to include three bike-related questions on the drivers' exam, to test for knowledge of ODM § 11-2. Contact Karen Gentry: [email protected]

In the 2009 52nd Oklahoma State Legislative Session, HB1795 would allow bicyclists, motorcyclists, and gas bikers to blow red lights, under legally allowable conditions. If passed, the law will be effective 1 November 2009.

Last edited:

mabman

Oct 4, 2008
In the wind
Hey thanks for that bit of info. I was wondering were the rift was. I don't think alot about chinese motors either but I still post here? I am more of a made in the USA, or it should be type of guy. .flg. But if someone wants to run one of the HT's more power to em'.

just4lics

Aug 28, 2010
Norman,OK
From what I have researched you might need a motorcycle endorsment on your lic.Yet, it looks like they could look at it both ways,as a bicycle or as a motorized cycle.If they look at it as a bicycle you would not need a licence or anything .If that is the case great. It all depends on Barney Fife,if he wants to be a dick or not.First and formost they are in the revenue building business for their respective cities.Not to protect you.A person could go years without a second glance from l.e.o. ,or get tickited the first time you ride.Most cops are cool ,but it's that 5% you got to worry about.

fundreamer1

Dec 6, 2010
Oklahoma
From what I have researched you might need a motorcycle endorsment on your lic.Yet, it looks like they could look at it both ways,as a bicycle or as a motorized cycle.If they look at it as a bicycle you would not need a licence or anything .If that is the case great. It all depends on Barney Fife,if he wants to be a dick or not.First and formost they are in the revenue building business for their respective cities.Not to protect you.A person could go years without a second glance from l.e.o. ,or get tickited the first time you ride.Most cops are cool ,but it's that 5% you got to worry about.
I have been checking out the laws in Oklahoma about the motorized bicycles and as long as you have 50cc or less then you don't need a license or registration for the bike, I don't know about if you have more cc's than stated in the laws I have found. The good thing about it is that if you have the 80cc motor, you can tell them whatever you want, they aren't going to take your engine apart to see if you have the 50cc or bigger.