Velocars and other interesting vehicles.

GoldenMotor.com

moto-klasika

Jan 12, 2013
Bern (more) and Belgrade (less)
Hello Anne,
Found these photos of interesting transmission for motorised bicycles (on your web-site?). It seems that both chain and friction drive use Sturmey Archer hub-gearbox? Is there inside free-wheel, too?
Should shown friction drive be efficient?
Ciao,
Zoran

Attachments

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Hauraki District, New Zealand
Hello Anne,
Found these photos of interesting transmission for motorised bicycles (on your web-site?). It seems that both chain and friction drive use Sturmey Archer hub-gearbox? Is there inside free-wheel, too?
Should shown friction drive be efficient?
Ciao,
Zoran

That's one of Cannonball's bikes Zoran. He developed a method for using a Sturmey Archer hub as a friction drive gearbox. Silverbear has built up a similar bike using the same transmission which works very well.
Doing something the same is on my own 'to-do' list :)

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
I can understand inlet over exhaust engines evolving from atmospheric valve engines, where only the exhaust valve was mechanically operated, but did anyone go exhaust over inlet to shed exhaust heat better?

moto-klasika

Jan 12, 2013
Bern (more) and Belgrade (less)
Originally Posted by fasteddy
Here's one. Might be an easy build.
Steve

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/a...n-jpg.3036830/

-----------------------------------
That is very nice too :)
Now I'm certain I saw some other pictures of that wee motorcar somewhere else........ goes to look.....
Today we visited nice dealership for bicycles and electric bicycles – they had so-called "
open-door"! Excellent machines of all types, but anything good on electric power is more expensive then our 5-year old and less then 50,000 km Citroen C-1! There was one interesting bicycle with strong wheels and fat tyres, with disk-brakes for around 800$$$, without electric-motor. I asked how-much would cost if I ordered just 4 wheels with brakes - for new quadricycle. Answer: almost the same as 2 complete bikes!
--- ---
After a long time, I started to work on my HPV-quadricycle again. In spite that it was always in garage (until 2 years ago) or under cover – there are a lot of rusty places everywhere!

In a two days I managed to fix steering (I hope so), then brakes and speed-changing on one side. Just to fix another side - and finally test it and drive it home!
Ciao,
Zoran

Attachments

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Ludwig,

Thank you for the update on the Morgan. I was a little surprised at the tiller steering but the whole car had a nice look to it.

I'm still looking for some inspiration for a small car after I finally get the tri car done. This one has a nice feel and look about it.

Steve.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Zoran,

Thank you for the name and additional photos of the Tweenie Dunhill. It would make an interesting first build.

When I saw it it brought to mind that I had seen an interesting horse drawn buggy seat that was available in black or grey while looking for front springs for the velocar build.

The buggy seat springs they recommended on the cycle kart site started the search and there is a company here in Canada that sells them. While searching the site I saw they offered seats for buggies and wagons made of fiberglass with a nice polished gel coat finish with wood nailing strips installed for the upholstery to be nailed to.

They were just under and just over a meter in length at 36" and 40" and the largest at 46". The price was $270 to $300 Canadian. Not inexpensive but the bonus is that roof bows and stays were available for a top as well as mounting hardware. Some thing I would consider.

Steve.

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Hauraki District, New Zealand
The Tweenie Dunhill runabout is a very appealing little motorcar/cyclecar and I love that so much of its construction is wood. In many ways this makes it a simpler proposition to build than the Spacke in my opinion.

I have a Model T axle hung up in the garage and I'm sure that if it was cut down to length it would be just fine for a Tweenie-like replica.

Zoran, - I'm sorry to read than your quadricycle has gone rusty. I hope it's not too bad and won't be difficult to repair.