NOOB wanting some help!!

GoldenMotor.com

Bryman31

May 6, 2010
Colorado
so im wanting to build my firts bike!!! or maybe even just purchase a pre-built one. anyway i see on sope photos different parts here other parts there yet i can never seem to find some of those parts for sale...so im asking help. first off im wanting the spookytooth stealth. what do you think of that for a first build? im also thinking of getting their hi performance carburetor. what do you think?

also im really wanting this exhaust but where do i get it? (its off of a member of this sites bike, but he isint accepting pm's)

Attachments

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Don't know about the Stealth, but Spooky Tooth has a good reputation. The exhaust looks like an SBP (Sick Bike Parts) expansion chamber exhaust with a custom pipe coming off the exhaust manifold, maybe the original kit one turned upside down and cut off at the muffler. Someone else can speak of the carb. I've only used kit ones. You can always start with just the bike and kit motor and change the exhaust and carb later. There are threads here with many posts on the SBP exhausts and the carbs as well. I'd suggest doing a search.
SB

Randog707

Oct 18, 2009
Fairfield,ca
I second Joe's advise,dont do a carb upgrade right way,I've heard too many disaster stories when upgrading to a hi pro carb.Instead I would just get a new billet air intake manifold from pirate cycles,and a new hi pro air filter aswell.I've done this to all my MB's and I very happy with the results,and looks.Randy

Attachments

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Bryman31,
I know you are new to this forum, but don't know if you are new to bikes, motors, wrenches or what. Some people come to this as "new" people, but who are auto mechanics, or raced motorcycles or like me knew very little besides how not to fall off a bicycle. So, putting a motor on a bike is a a different experience for different people depending on what they "bring to the table". Only you know what you are bringing to the table. The first order of business should be to get that bike together in good order, whatever you end up using. If it isn't safe to pedal it isn't going to improve with a motor. Focus on things like the engine mounts being solid, the drive chain being aligned with the rear sprocket. One of the best upgrades you can make (especially for a first time build) is the hub adapter and sprocket from Jim the Manic Mechanic at Creative Engineering. But even the kit rag joint drive sprocket can be made to work well enough. Get the bike running and get familiar with it. Ask questions and make the ride work as well as you can stock. Then start changing this and that as you go and can afford it. You'll know then when you change something if it is actually better or not. The kits work right out of the box. Go from there would be my advice. The next build you will know ahead of time what you want to change and why. Joe has built so many bikes he has probably lost count. He could probably do it with his eyes closed. I've done a half dozen or so and am still learning, but it was that first one which taught me the most...to get the basics in order. Have fun and stay safe.
SB

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Good advice Silverbear!

Definitely get the bike going before you start throwing money at it with aftermarket parts.

The sprocket adapter may be a good bet, but I hear the waiting list is incredibly long for shipping.

Billet intake? Try just matching the gaskets ect. first. Gain a little knowledge before you just start bolting on stuff without knowing what it does or why you are bolting it on.

A little knowledge gained goes a long way in the long run.

Bryman31

May 6, 2010
Colorado
thanks guys!!! maybe ill hold off on some stuff first. it does seem better to get it first and make sure i don't die on it going 5mph before i get it to 35mph hahaha. anyway im definatley getting that spookytooth stealth. i LOVE the look. as for hub adapter and sprocket......tell me more and some links would be very helpful too as i only know of like 3 sites so far to be looking....ive been reading here all night and ill definatley want reliability to be a major factor, where i live there are country roads that go on for fifty moles or more without even a turn, so i really don't want to get stranded out there and be walking home

Last edited:

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Manic Mechanic is one of our advertisers right on this page. Pirate bikes (another one of our advertisers) also sells Jim's adapters and might have them in stock. You would need to either take measurements of the hub (explained at Jim's site or ask for those needed dimensions from spooky tooth & they should be able to measure it for you... then see if Jim or Pirate has that size in stock. I'm not talking about how many teeth on the sprocket, but the diameter of the hub. I've only used one of those on my bikes and it is super. On the other hand I've gotten a lot better now at mounting the rag joint rear sprockets which comes with the motor kit. With one you learn a lot and the other you have a superior setup. Either way you're going to get that bike on the road and have the time of your life. This is not a junior make believe motorcycle. It is what it is, a motored bicycle and even guys who have both enjoy the back to basics rides with the motorbicycles. Lots of fun. Get a helmet... If you spend some time with the advertisers here you can learn quite a bit just from that and get a lot of great information. Then spend some time with old threads here. Do a search and you may find one on that bike in particular. Or start a thread on that model and see if you get others here with the same bike and same supplier. Ask questions, but also do some research, too.
SB