Around the World on a Honda Cub!

GoldenMotor.com

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
For that matter, it's a couple from Portland OR on two bikes.

And they aren't actual Honda Cubs. They're the modern descendent of the Cub, made by an outfit called SYM in Taiwan. They're now known as the "Symba 100". My understanding is that this outfit made the "Super Cubs" and "Passports" under contract for Honda. At least in the later years. When Honda discontinued the model, SYM kept right on going with it.

I only discovered this bike a few days ago. Browsing moped/scooter photos, looking for ideas for builds. But this bike made me start thinking about an actual bike purchase. I probably won't do it since my MB is more versatile and less expensive. But this bike sure does look sweet.

I was really dazzled when I spotted it.
NewSymba_PhotosGallery_10.jpg

Researching the bike a bit, I came across this 'journal' of this couple's around the world bike ride. I haven't even read it all yet. But I've accompanied them, so far, across the USA then up to Toronto. Hopped across the ocean to Cape Town, South Africa and up to Zimbabwe.

The guy writes well and gives some nice photos. He's descriptive. I even feel as though I'm coming to know the bikes themselves. It's a great read.

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/underboning-the-world-2-symbas-1-couple-no-sense.716979/

Their bikes are a bit bigger and more substantial than ours. (Kinda ironic, isn't it?) But these folks are just like us!

Slogger

Sep 8, 2014
nohio
Thanks, BGW!
That's an awesome old/new little bike. Honda made the best small 4 strokes back in the day.
I notice it has an enclosed chain. Running in an oil bath the chain will last about forever and once stretched will be maintenance free.
I wonder how much..
edit: ah, $2400. Not too bad.
Their 150cc bike looks pretty fun, too.

Last edited:

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
Great find!

I just added that to 'my favorites'! I'm to Kansas, and like you said, this guy's writing is very good. Reminds me a little of Jack Keroack (sp?).

Slogger

Sep 8, 2014
nohio
Whoops, those chains aren't in an oil bath. Being enclosed is still a big improvement.
Those folks must have butts of iron to go across Australia on those.
Too slow for me, doing a long journey I'd need about 500cc anyway.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
It's all compromise, a Cub is antlike, slow, but relentless and hard to kill. It's also easier to ppick up when you fall off it.

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
Thanks, BGW!

..... I wonder how much..
edit: ah, $2400. Not too bad.
Their 150cc bike looks pretty fun, too.
You're right. That's not too bad. And somewhere in that guy's thread he mentions someone finding them on sale for $1999.

Add to it that fact that this is a design that's been in production for nearly 60 years. I'd trust that the bugs have been worked out. The reviews I've found seem to bear that out. Catching them on sale, one can figure on $2500 total.

Not bad at all.

The 150cc? Do you mean the "Wolf Classic"? Yes, that's a nice looking bike, too.

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Thanks for the link, Blue. Interesting cronicle. He is a good writer.

I own one of those little beasties. It's a 73 model called a MC-70. I was going to restore it last winter but things didn't work out. It's in near perfect condition now but I'd like to do a full restoration. It's stored in a shed at my in-laws house that my wife and I now own. Maybe I'll drag it home before winter sets in.

I don't plan on riding it around the world but it would make a fun grocery getter.

Tom

Attachments

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
This is quite a good story! Only on page 11 and they're looking for ways to get the bikes to India. Anxiously awaiting the Himalayan portion of their adventure!

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
Thanks for the link, Blue. Interesting cronicle. He is a good writer.

I own one of those little beasties. It's a 73 model called a MC-70. I was going to restore it last winter but things didn't work out. .........

Tom
Why, yes, Tom! I remember you posting and saying that you were thinking of doing something with that bike. And it would be a fun errand runner. I'd be pleased to ride around on something like that.

As an alternative, if things are too busy, you might just give it a little TLC in order that it's at least preserved a bit. So that you can do something with it when you've got the time.

It's a beauty and deserves to be in your thoughts.

This is quite a good story! Only on page 11 and they're looking for ways to get the bikes to India. Anxiously awaiting the Himalayan portion of their adventure!
I'll try not to be too much of a spoiler......but northern India really chews on these poor people and spits them right out. They got out about half dead and I was about half-horrified. Nepal, on the other hand, was much more kindly and they did some recuperating.

I've joined them so far as far as Laos. And it looks interesting. I've got four pages already setup under this one. I'm about to go to bed. I'll bet we make it to Cambodia before I fall asleep.

Good night, all!

By the way.......how many of you guys remember the strip in which Phred the terrorist is bragging about the great new contract that he's going to get from the VC? Only to read the letter, look up with a sad and surprised expression and says, "I've been traded to the Pathet Lao!"

gaffo

May 10, 2014
Norman
For that matter, it's a couple from Portland OR on two bikes.

And they aren't actual Honda Cubs. They're the modern descendent of the Cub, made by an outfit called SYM in Taiwan. They're now known as the "Symba 100". My understanding is that this outfit made the "Super Cubs" and "Passports" under contract for Honda. At least in the later years. When Honda discontinued the model, SYM kept right on going with it.

I only discovered this bike a few days ago. Browsing moped/scooter photos, looking for ideas for builds. But this bike made me start thinking about an actual bike purchase. I probably won't do it since my MB is more versatile and less expensive. But this bike sure does look sweet.

I was really dazzled when I spotted it.
View attachment 79405

Researching the bike a bit, I came across this 'journal' of this couple's around the world bike ride. I haven't even read it all yet. But I've accompanied them, so far, across the USA then up to Toronto. Hopped across the ocean to Cape Town, South Africa and up to Zimbabwe.

The guy writes well and gives some nice photos. He's descriptive. I even feel as though I'm coming to know the bikes themselves. It's a great read.

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/underboning-the-world-2-symbas-1-couple-no-sense.716979/

Their bikes are a bit bigger and more substantial than ours. (Kinda ironic, isn't it?) But these folks are just like us!
Hi Blue - I like the Sym Wolf myself. I first heard of Sym about 5 yr ago, back then their Wolf was a 125, now its a 150cc. FYI, they are a real Honda bike producer. where under contract in the 80's to make Hondas in Taiwan using quality factory and builds under guidance and sanction of Honda. When Honda stopped making their kewl little bikes (IDIOTS!) - SYM just kept on making them...........and still do today. Wolf sure looks nice - but at 3K, and the Jaingsu Sacin (Skyteam) CT70 (125cc) and z50r (125cc) - both 1K, sure tough to pay 3 times more for a bike that is probably around 1.75 time more reliable.

10 yrs ago it would probably be 4 times better at /3 the cost - but I don't think that is the case anymore.

check out he thread at ADVrider forum - over there there is a father/son that rode from Sand Francisco to New York City in 6 weeks - one a 150cc no-name Chinese Scooter and a Jaingsu Sacin (Skyteam) CT70 Honda clone 125cc. Scooter had some starter failer around Montana (had to find a part and self-install it), CT had the wheel nut fall off (lol)..........that is what Locktite is for - other than that the CT had no mechanical failures.

gaffo

May 10, 2014
Norman
It's all compromise, a Cub is antlike, slow, but relentless and hard to kill. It's also easier to ppick up when you fall off it.
........"with a basket.....over the FRONT WHEEL"......lol.

been awhile since I've seen a "Downfall" skit. First one was the Palin/McCain one 7 yrs ago. saw a few since then - one on IL2 Cliffs of Dover flightsim, and couple of others - forget now on what.

always hilarious.

Bruno Gans will now be immortalized as Hilter. I have that movie and its a 5 star - Bruno IS Hilter. there is no better version. Alexandra Maria Lara is always fine to look at too. City of............? flick about Argentina, The Tunnel (about Berlin Wall - guy in this one plays Albert Spear in Downfall).

that other guy - and short sweating general - he's in a few LEXX tv show episodes (4th season - so don't bother ---only first 2 are good - esp 2 yr - 3 is average and last yr is unwatchable.

more more!! another!............can't get enough of those clips

Last edited:

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
My mate Fubar's Cub in Norway in winter. He wanted to do Russia, but it was too slow, so he made a composite honda parts bin sidecar outfit. Then he met his girlfriend and his daughter happened, etc etc, but now he has a 4 x 4 ex RAF ambulance set up for extreme winter touring.

In it's nest.

2015 Dragon Rally in Wales.

Last edited:

racie35

Nov 17, 2012
usa
A copy is a copy so I'd agree on the lineage. Thread title says cub . Wasn't the progression Cub,passport and then clone?

racie35

Nov 17, 2012
usa
I think I read somewhere once that a Honda Cub was the most sold motor vehicle ever. That's quite a feat.