Centrifugal clutch,yes or no

GoldenMotor.com

outlawbiker

Mar 15, 2009
Chicago NW Suburbs
Im getting ready to have to rebuild my 2 stroke clutch and I was wondering if swaping out to a centrifugal clutch would be worth it?

I already know im going to need some wider crank arms and some other misc parts, but what im really interested in was a few people unclearly mentioned they can pull off from a dead stop without pedaling with one. Is this possible?
I am really getting sick of having to come to a dead stop at a traffic light and pedal my monster of a bike across intersections.

Im running a 44 tooth on a 20 inch tire if that is any consideration.

gooldhotrods

Apr 16, 2014
racine, wisconsin
I do not know about centrifugal clutchs, but am considering trying one. I have an OCC 2 stroke build with a 36 tooth sprocket and an OCC 2 stroke trike with a 32 tooth sprocket, both have 20 inch rear wheels, I do not need to pedal assist either of them to take off. your 44 tooth should have better take off then my sprockets

SchwinnStingray

Apr 1, 2014
Australia
I hope to be fitting one to my chopper soon.
I don't really have to pedal off from a dead stop when the engine is warm but do give the bike a bit of momentum to baby the clutch as I let it out.
Low speed cornering is another reason I am fitting one.

maurtis

Dec 14, 2011
Kyle, TX
BTW, the centrifugal clutch does not replace your manual clutch, it adds to it. So if your current clutch is slipping, it will still slip. You still need to use your manual clutch when bump starting the motor, unless you get a pull start too.

Sep 4, 2012
America's Hi-five
I've not used a centrifugal myself, but I can add that I almost bought one until I changed the front pedal sprocket. That alone made the pedal start from stop so quick and easy that a cent. clutch is not necessary for me anymore. Might be a cheap easy option for you?

zhono

Feb 2, 2012
MA
Is the installation of the centrifugal clutch(and pull start) very difficult, does anyone know? The engine kit I bought came with what I believe to be the gear-pulling tool that I've seen mentioned as being needed for the install, so at least I should have the tools needed. Also, to those experienced with the clutch/pull-start(and these bikes in general) would you recommend the removal of the crank/pedals altogether, to be replaced with pegs(and save on the cost of buying the special crank)? Or is it really necessary to keep the ability to pedal?

mew905

Sep 24, 2012
Moose Jaw
Is the installation of the centrifugal clutch(and pull start) very difficult, does anyone know? The engine kit I bought came with what I believe to be the gear-pulling tool that I've seen mentioned as being needed for the install, so at least I should have the tools needed. Also, to those experienced with the clutch/pull-start(and these bikes in general) would you recommend the removal of the crank/pedals altogether, to be replaced with pegs(and save on the cost of buying the special crank)? Or is it really necessary to keep the ability to pedal?
I'm interested as well as to the difficulty of installation and how to start it without a pull start (because it should inherently freewheel, being impossible to start via pedals).

But my recommendation, don't remove the pedals and crank. Part of the law for most places for these bikes to NOT be considered a motorcycle (meaning you will need a license) is to have functional pedals. Other places have speed limits (32km/hr or 20mph usually), size limits (80cc or 50cc usually), even power limits (Australia has a 150 watt limit, so tiny its useless), and even limits on gears (usually single speed, no gears). Breaking any applicable laws puts you into moped class (if they require licenses where you are), or full-on motorcycle class.

zhono

Feb 2, 2012
MA
I'm interested as well as to the difficulty of installation and how to start it without a pull start (because it should inherently freewheel, being impossible to start via pedals).

But my recommendation, don't remove the pedals and crank. Part of the law for most places for these bikes to NOT be considered a motorcycle (meaning you will need a license) is to have functional pedals. Other places have speed limits (32km/hr or 20mph usually), size limits (80cc or 50cc usually), even power limits (Australia has a 150 watt limit, so tiny its useless), and even limits on gears (usually single speed, no gears). Breaking any applicable laws puts you into moped class (if they require licenses where you are), or full-on motorcycle class.
In my state, these bikes are considered mopeds and are registered as such. Mopeds do not require pedals here, and can have pegs or foot-rests. Probably much different in other places, I assume. Though I'm thinking I will still need to pedal my fat-a$$ up the steep hills and whatnot.

SchwinnStingray

Apr 1, 2014
Australia

I am NOT fitting a pull start with my centrifugal clutch, the centrifugal clutch assembly has a one way bearing in it to allow you to pedal start the engine. Even with the centrifugal clutch, you still need the manual clutch lever if you want the ability to pedal without the engine.

rogergendron1

Sep 18, 2013
woburn ma
On a china giirl it will rob u of power and take off acseleration and restrict what gear ratio you can run duwe to the engagment rpm ots set for so yeh you can tottaly forget about that 36t sprocket lol you will be best off with a 44 or 48 when running a cent clutch on a ht . . .Its just more cheap crap to break

however if you are running the grubee 4g its already set up with one

and if you have a harbor frieght preditor 79, 99, or 212 then i highly recomend a cheeta or a noram or some kind of high quality adjustable clutch you can tune via springs