Constantly broke throttle cable at the twist grip end!

GoldenMotor.com

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
Driving me nuts! I'm constantly snapping my throttle cable at the twist grip end where it connects to the bulb. What do I have to do to stop it or at least slow it down from snapping?

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
sounds like something must be binding/rubbing in your setup - unhook both ends and check that the inner slides with no resistance at all thru the outer

if that's OK, then check that the carb slide is moving freely

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
Like crassius said, check EVERYTHING for binding. THEN, Apply some light grease to everything that rubs together in the throttle casing. I also lube my cables.
fatdaddy.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Driving me nuts! I'm constantly snapping my throttle cable at the twist grip end where it connects to the bulb. What do I have to do to stop it or at least slow it down from snapping?
Don't twist the throttle so hard ;-}

Is the cable actually breaking or just pulling out of the silver 'bulb' piece?
If the cable end is frayed it must be rubbing somewhere and it just goes down through the L tube so it's tough to say.

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
Don't twist the throttle so hard ;-}

Is the cable actually breaking or just pulling out of the silver 'bulb' piece?
If the cable end is frayed it must be rubbing somewhere and it just goes down through the L tube so it's tough to say.
Cable snap from all the back and forth. Liker bending a paper clip back and forth until it snaps.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
I think you must have a diff throttle grip than I've ever seen. I have not seen one that bends the inner cable. Do you have a pic?

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
Nice build, looks cool. When you get a chance take a few close up pics of the throttle and cable for us, assembled and apart, and we'll get this sorted out.

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
Nice build, looks cool. When you get a chance take a few close up pics of the throttle and cable for us, assembled and apart, and we'll get this sorted out.
It doesn't brake right away. It lasts about 2 months and breaks without warning at the twist grip end.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
good looking bike

could the cable be binding under the tank?

did you open the top of the grip to watch the cable go in & out - that kind of grip pulls the cable right in without bending or rubbing on anything if it is set up right

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Maybe the hole in the twist grip where the bulb anchors is too small and binding which bends the cable back and forth over time and breaks it. I'd also check for a sharp edge where the cable enters the steel adjuster.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
I can't make out your carb throttle connection but an HS 4-stroke throttle cable has a standard barrel end for the throttle grip and a little nub on the other end so the cable just slips down a notch and stays on the barb linkage.

A screw on cable end like 2-stroke kits have the brass one for the clutch should work so you can just buy a quality brake cable with the barrel on one and and nothing on the other end and just use screw on stop at linkage.

Maybe just replacing whole cable inside and out might fix you up.

Unless of course you have something funky going on inside your twist grip which is really what it sounds like if it always breaks there.

Last edited:

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.

Unless of course you have something funky going on inside your twist grip which is really what it sounds like if it always breaks there.
That's what I'm wondering about. A rough spot, some point of friction, something has to be working and wearing on the cable itself in the break zone. They are mass (often poorly) produced parts, there's always a chance of bad molding or machining.

I've had problems with the clutch levers needing cleaning up so they won't eat cables, but so far no probs with any of the throttles I've had my hands on.

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
Maybe the hole in the twist grip where the bulb anchors is too small and binding which bends the cable back and forth over time and breaks it. I'd also check for a sharp edge where the cable enters the steel adjuster.
No sharp edges. It's all plastic inside. I could use a need throttle housing though. This one is getting old.

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
That's what I'm wondering about. A rough spot, some point of friction, something has to be working and wearing on the cable itself in the break zone. They are mass (often poorly) produced parts, there's always a chance of bad molding or machining.

I've had problems with the clutch levers needing cleaning up so they won't eat cables, but so far no probs with any of the throttles I've had my hands on.

You are correct. There is friction now from adding solder to the end of the cable to try and strengthen it to try and keep it from breaking again. I actually have to return it to the idle position as it does not spring back on it's own.