New technical update on the new intake!

GoldenMotor.com

crmachineman

May 24, 2012
New Hampshire
without arguing price or anything else, i'm curious as to if the thing really works. i've built engines with shorty manifolds that have topped out over 60mph (or, 56mph with a GPS and reliable forum members as witnesses.)

in your ebay ad you claim 40mph with a 30t sprocket and 190lb rider. i know guys who weigh that (and then some) who've reached higher speeds with 36t, or even 40t, with basic, proven mods.

i'm not trying to discredit you or your product. i mean, it might turn out be a radical new design no one's ever thought of before, and i encourage you to keep testing it.

it's your "performance" findings i'm leery of. 35-40 is easily achievable with nothing more than a dremel tool.
Okay, wow. That's amazing! 56 MPH! My bike can't go that fast, and I'm running a 30 T sprocket. Hmm, well, one thing I do know is that when my bike accelerates, it abruptly stops accelerating at about 38 MPH. I noticed a really nice improvement in low-end torque, but the engine clearly has something stopping it from revving high. I don't think it's a lack of power, because when I'm going down a hill, the bike will only go 42 MPH, and it seems like the engine is holding the bike back! I run a stock CDI; could it be that? or maybe there is a high speed limitation to this manifold. This is where my understanding starts wearing thin. You folks have been experimenting with these engines a lot longer than I have, so you might have some insight on the matter.
Thanks!
-Fred

crmachineman

May 24, 2012
New Hampshire
I like your intake design. I think it would be a great platform to mount a set of pocket bike reeds to. Plenty of space. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-Moto-C...ing_Goods_Pocket_Bikes_LE&hash=item4d00d468ce
Yeah. I know, you see that chamber, then you start thinking..... Hmmm, I bet you could fit a reed assy in there! I've been thinking a little bit about that too, but have not come up with a clever design for that. I'm trying to think of something which would work within the round shape of the intake, but that does not sound easy, so probably a totally different design which takes those square assemblies would be better. Well, anyway, I'm thinking about it. Well, what about Pirate Cycles? have they finished designing one, or has that project been put on hold?
-Fred

crmachineman

May 24, 2012
New Hampshire
Hi. The overall length of the manifold is 2-5/16" and 2" diameter. It has the usual 3/4" diameter end for the carburetor to attach. I had to move my engine about 1-1/2" forward to allow for the air cleaner. Im using the CNS carburetor.
-Fred

Hoze513

Nov 24, 2011
Joliet, illinois
Hi. The overall length of the manifold is 2-5/16" and 2" diameter. It has the usual 3/4" diameter end for the carburetor to attach. I had to move my engine about 1-1/2" forward to allow for the air cleaner. Im using the CNS carburetor.
-Fred
Thanks, Iam glad it is not big. I have a GT timberland bike, with the CNS. And it barley fits on there, because of the way the frame is. Thanks Jose

waistofhumanspace

Jan 8, 2011
michigan
it looks like a good platform to put a set of reed valves in it! Reed valves would make a a heck of a lot of differance......ping,ping,pa,ping,ping,a,ping.
anything beats pedaling!

maintenancenazi

Oct 22, 2011
Asheville
Bump, Just wondering if Bairdco, or anyone else who got sent this intake. Has had a chance to test it yet? Just curious of the results....

Peace, James

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com

crmachineman

May 24, 2012
New Hampshire
Hi James, Well Baird should have one of the manifolds, and I did just sell one to an individual in Maine. Hopefully we will get some more insight into this manifold soon. We'll see what happens. zptzpt
-Fred

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
sorry, been busy with work and setting up my race for this saturday...

i got the intake a coupla days ago. thanks for sending me one.

it's a pretty neat lookin' gizmo, well made, precision tooling.

after my race i'll set it up on a bike and see what happens. it might take a little while, i think i'm going to be working out of town all next week.

i'll report back as soon as i try it out. :)

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I've always been a sucker for more bottom end power on all my motors. crmachineman is only claiming more bottom end power. That makes sense to me.

Plenum chambers aren't anything new. If that were the only difference I'd say it won't do much, but changing the intake length is usually a big deal. It looks like that's what this does. What that length works out to, considering plenum area, is very hard to estimate.

It is true that most motors have trouble with negative pulses that push back on the intake at low engine speeds, usually causing a rich condition. If this manifold helps at those speeds, then the plenum must somehow weaken the negative pluse before it gets to the carb.

All my china girls run at least 37 with a 36T which is plenty fast for me, but more bottom end is always useful.

The main problem I see with this product isn't the price, it's that it only fits a crappy CNS. If you made it to fit an NT we could use it with DAX and Speed carbs too.

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
I've always been a sucker for more bottom end power on all my motors. crmachineman is only claiming more bottom end power. That makes sense to me.

Plenum chambers aren't anything new. If that were the only difference I'd say it won't do much, but changing the intake length is usually a big deal. It looks like that's what this does. What that length works out to, considering plenum area, is very hard to estimate.

It is true that most motors have trouble with negative pulses that push back on the intake at low engine speeds, usually causing a rich condition. If this manifold helps at those speeds, then the plenum must somehow weaken the negative pluse before it gets to the carb.

All my china girls run at least 37 with a 36T which is plenty fast for me, but more bottom end is always useful.
Want more bottom end? Get a reed valve. Works with any style carb.

crmachineman

May 24, 2012
New Hampshire

The main problem I see with this product isn't the price, it's that it only fits a crappy CNS. If you made it to fit an NT we could use it with DAX and Speed carbs too.
Hi Bikenut. I think you've got is summed up right! I suspect this manifold probably improves low end torque at the expense of high end. The reason why I say this is that my bike's 40 MPH top speed is really not that impressive, but what I would say is impressive is that by bike does it with a 30-32 tooth sprocket. Considering the way these engines run, that is very important because they vibrate at high speeds, so anything that will allow you to operate your bike at a lower engine speed is good.
Thanks for your input!
-Fredzpt

crmachineman

May 24, 2012
New Hampshire

Hi Bikenut. I think you've got it summed up right! I suspect this manifold probably improves low end torque at the expense of high end. The reason why I say this is that my bike's 40 MPH top speed is really not that impressive, but what I would say is impressive is that by bike does it with a 30-32 tooth sprocket. Considering the way these engines run, that is very important because they vibrate at high speeds, so anything that will allow you to operate your bike at a lower engine speed is good.
Thanks for your input!
-Fredzpt