New kit troubles

GoldenMotor.com

Len455

Mar 11, 2012
Phoenix az
Hey guys! Well today i put on my brand new pk-80 from pirate cycles, i must say im liking pirate cycles alot. They ship fast and upgraded my oil from a small 1.3 oz pac to an 8oz free!(and some star burst) anyways on topic now. So the install went fairly easy but my sprocket is out of whack and dummy me took to many lnks out of the chain so i had to put some back. Seems to work ok. But my engine is running rather rough at lower rpms and it almost sounds like my chain is coming off then back on. Any ideas? And im thinking about going to a centrafugal clitch because i cant stand the one on there. Has any one had any exoeriance on these? Thank you guys for all your help!
usflg

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Len455

Not sure what to tell ya on this for sure, but I say go over the chain and sprocket really good and make sure it's all lined up correctly and that there isn't to much slack in the chain or that it isn't too tight, make sure the sprocket is centered on the wheel and that the engine is secure on the frame, some pics my be helpful for us to see exactly how yo have everything set up.

just double check everything for tightness and alignment, these are things that are critical on these kits, anything loose or misaligned and you will have troubles.

map

Last edited:

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
Hey guys! Well today i put on my brand new pk-80 from pirate cycles, i must say im liking pirate cycles alot. They ship fast and upgraded my oil from a small 1.3 oz pac to an 8oz free!(and some star burst) anyways on topic now. So the install went fairly easy but my sprocket is out of whack and dummy me took to many lnks out of the chain so i had to put some back. Seems to work ok. But my engine is running rather rough at lower rpms and it almost sounds like my chain is coming off then back on. Any ideas? And im thinking about going to a centrafugal clitch because i cant stand the one on there. Has any one had any exoeriance on these? Thank you guys for all your help!
usflg
As far as your chain, you want about 1/2" slack. Filing the teeth on the sprocket, to take the sharp edges off helps. Running rough...have you checked for vacuum leaks?

frozenveinz

Sep 25, 2011
Washington
New clutches will sometimes squeal before they wear in. To help it wear in faster, when you start moving, slip the clutch slowly instead of all at once. After a while the squealing will stop and it will be alot easier to adjust.

Sep 4, 2009
Texas
You did put just a dab of grease on the little ball bearing that goes behind the rod that engages the clutch (On the left side of the engine) If it is dry it will make a noise.

Len455

Mar 11, 2012
Phoenix az
I pulled the plate when i put on my chain and again for the new chain and it was full of grease. Thanks for all of your help everyone

Sep 4, 2009
Texas
Oh yea not onthe same page haha. Dose that rod just pull out?
yes sir it just slipps right out and the ball bearing will roll right out and be lost if you aren't careful...not a hard thing to replace but still LOL (You would just need one about the same size as the end of the rod.