Sportsman Electraflyer

GoldenMotor.com

buba

Jul 2, 2010
los angeles
Pat-- bring that electric beauty and a few of your other sensational creations to the Grange races next weekend -thrill the crowd

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
Thanks, guys!
Just tested the e bike with an accurate Garmin bicycle GPS. First, the battery never once cut out. The earlier problem I was having is gone. 60 amp controller and BMS working together. I guess this battery has enough capacity that the voltage doesn't get pulled down at WOT. With slight down grade it pulled 38.48 mph. Maintained 36.5 to 37.5 on the flat. I was in the tuck with my big and wide cruiser handlebars and floppy hoodie jacket. It cruises nicely at 30 mph, which is what I wanted. Just a solid machine. I am pretty satisfied. I took it for a nice long ride this afternoon, just over 22 miles. Varied the speed between 18 and 30 mph with most of it at about 22 mph because I was on a bike path with 20 mph speed limit. My wife was on her pedal bike and I towed her about 10 miles on the way back. Battery was around 48 volts at end of ride. Didn't feel like the power dropped off but if volts equals rpm it probably dropped off a bit at full speed. The ride was on a beautiful paved two lane designated bicycle path, a place I could never ride a gas bike. Total freedom!

Testing by Pat Dolan, on Flickr

Testing by Pat Dolan, on Flickr

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
Got home with enough time to mess with this bike a little. It will use the same exact drive system but set up as a boardie. Harley style forks and will also get disc brakes. Narrower bars and boardie tuck may allow me to reach 40 mph. We'll see.

Electraflyer Boardie by Pat Dolan, on Flickr

ZipTie

Jan 8, 2016
Mpls Mn
that's the most amazing ebike ever built in so many ways Pat? Have you estimated a retail price yet?
My eyes are squeezed shut.

ZipTie

Jan 8, 2016
Mpls Mn
A guy can dream a bit. Dang it is too beautiful not to want one, I just hope you don't find any sofa pizza while looking under those cushions for change/ LOL

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
No sofa pizza ZipTie, thank goodness. No change either but fortunately I'll been able to put a bit of money aside for parts for a build using parts from Pat. If the E bike comes on the market the build plans will shift quickly.

Steve.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Pat these guys aren't blowing smoke. Your Electra is very special. I've had a lot of people showing and directing me to Classic style electric builds. I'm not a hater & won't say they aren't good bikes and some also feature faux motor shapes, but none come close to even getting the look right, let alone use both the quality components you selected and execution of detail you've displayed. I repeat very special... Rick C.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Rick, the only smoke I see in this build is some carefully applied acetylene rich torch work to give the exhaust some authenticity. I also believe that this is the most authentic looking electric bike made.

It has the Sportscar Pat attention to detail and quality in building. Like everyone else watching I'm waiting to see if it's possible for them to become available and then I'll adjust my building priorities.

Steve.

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
Thanks, guys, for following along with the test bike build. One thing I have always done is test the heck out of anything I build. My way of convincing myself there will be no problems down the road. So far I am convinced there are no design issues to be concerned with. Only thing I have done to the blue bike as far as maintenance is to wipe the dirt off. The electric bike guys warned me about the instant torque and that it could break things. Well, the bike does have good torque but nothing like a 212cc manual clutch bike. The electric bikes will hold together without even breaking a sweat.
I believe I mentioned this blue cruiser is a build for my wife who has been asking for an electric bike. She wanted a solid basket to carry things and I found one at a local swap meet this past weekend. Nice big made in America Wald delivery basket.

As a kid I would have sure liked to have this bike for my paper route!

Basket Case by Pat Dolan, on Flickr

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Pat, you have had a history here on the forum of taking things to a new level. You did it with your gas bikes and now you've done it with a truly exciting electric version. Well done, sir!
SB

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Pat I never doubted both bikes would turn out beautifully and they did! I also knew my favorite would be the tracker & it is, but that's just me being me and I'll bet your wife likes hers the best and confirms that you're the best husband in the world for building a bike... just for her. Rick C.