how does the electric start work?

GoldenMotor.com

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
If you look at the 'specifications' you'll see, "electric start power cord length", this would lead me to believe that you'll need to plug the starter into house current, 120 volt, to utilize the electric starter. This style of 120 volt starter is common on lawn and garden equipment such as mowers, snow blowers, etc. They give you the pull start option for when you're not near a power source. I'm sure there is a starter button either built into the engine or you'd need to wire one in to the start circuit. I'm sure a call to the supplier would confirm my suspicions.
Tom

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
if its made for a scooter,it would connect to a battery.
Not if the engine is designed to be used for other applications. They give you over two feet of "power cord". Why? Yes, it's being sold on that site as a "Scooter Motor". That doesn't mean it was made just for scooters. I gave the man only an opinion. I didn't say it was carved in stone. Why argue?
Tom

Vistaman73

Chat Box Junkie
Nov 29, 2009
Shawnee, Kansas
When you look at the picture, you see 2 wires on top. Those is most likely the starter wires. So, with 2 wires, it will probably connect to a standard 6 or 12 volt battery. (6 is more likely.) ALSO, the shape of the starter resembles one on a riding mower so that just makes my reasoning more supported. Just throwing out what I think.

Vistaman73

Chat Box Junkie
Nov 29, 2009
Shawnee, Kansas
wait, I take that back, those 2 wires may not be, it is hard to see but if you tilt your screen one way or the other, you can see bundled white wire behind the pull handle. that is most likely it. I am still sticking to the battery idea an the other stuff I wrote.

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
I have an engine like that off of a scooter. the scooter it a 12 volt electric start the starter also
doubles as the battery charger. I don't have the voltage regulator and all the wiring
that is supposed to go with it. You can hook up a ground wire to a battery and touch
the starter with the hot wire off a 12 volt battery and it will spin the engine like a top.
it also has a hand pull rope.
anyway I didn't read the spec on that engine but I do have one like it. it might be a 120 volt
starter on that one.
I do have an extra starter for one. the starter rotor mounts right directly to the crank no bearing
in the starter that rotor just hangs onto the crank by a tapered threaded end. Kind of different
if the stater had ends and bearing a guy could mount it on a MB engine some way maybe on a jackshaft
shift kit?

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
I have an engine like that off of a scooter. the scooter it a 12 volt electric start the starter also
doubles as the battery charger. I don't have the voltage regulator and all the wiring
that is supposed to go with it. You can hook up a ground wire to a battery and touch
the starter with the hot wire off a 12 volt battery and it will spin the engine like a top.
it also has a hand pull rope.
anyway I didn't read the spec on that engine but I do have one like it. it might be a 120 volt
starter on that one.
I do have an extra starter for one. the starter rotor mounts right directly to the crank no bearing
in the starter that rotor just hangs onto the crank by a tapered threaded end.
if the stater had end plates and bearing a guy could mount it on a MB engine some way maybe on a
jack shaft shifter kit? starter and 12 volt power to charge a battery and run lights.
the generator has I think 4 brushes . its a booger too strong magnets inside it will pinch your finger
flat if you ain't careful.
something else is if you hook up a 12 volt auto light to the output wire with no voltage regulator it will flat burn it out very quickly.
norman

Last edited:

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Hi Guy`s, I Have Several Of Those Scooter Motors With The Starter. I Have Seen The Starters Listed For Around 15 Bucks. My First Build Was A Friction Drive. It Was Idleing, Was Adjusting The Carb. The Starter Wire Shorted Out In My Face, I Thought Someone Was Welding. Lol, Hot Spark For Idle. The Starter Has A Single Cable With A Bolt Round Eye End. The Two Smaller Wires Are For A Plug In Kill Switch. I Have A Mini Chopper Here, It Runs The Lights Without A Battery. I Think It Is For Battery. I Plan On Hooking One Up Some Day. Ron

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
The electric starter mechanism on those little engines is called a dynamo. They act as both a starter motor and a generator. I have a pocket bike in my garage right now with that exact engine. It uses a 12 volt SLA battery and a very small regulator. The regulator is not much bigger than a match book. The dynamo spins up the engine suprisingly fast for being a direct drive device. As Norman said, the rotor portion attaches directly to the crankshaft. there are no gears, ect involved. When I inquired at a local shop on how to attach one to my go-ped (same engine, pull start only) the gentleman told me that the electric start ones have a different crankshaft to accomodate the electric starter device. It would be cheaper for me to replace the whole engine that do a conversion. Sadly, the shop went out of business after a few years and I now have no local shops to go to for parts anymore. :(

Last edited: