engine recommendation

GoldenMotor.com

rijopiatt

Dec 30, 2009
Indiana
I've got a 1940 Schwinn I want to mount a motor on. I'm going for the old timey look like the first motorcycles/motorized bikes. I posted on the 4-strokes forum and based on the feedback, they are probably out of my budget. I've browsed the sites, but it gets pretty confusing. Here's my wish list:

1. Old time look (I'll be fabricating a copper/brass gas tank,etc.)-some motors look like they just came off of a modern bike, with chrome exhaust,etc.

2. As much speed as I can get.

3. Reliable-I'm mechanically inclined, but I don't want to be tearing down an engine and tinkering all the time.

4. Probably a kit this round (though I'm a pretty good scrounger) so I get more familiar with all the components and the possibilities.

All suggestions appreciated.

Rick in Indiana

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
With the two stroke kits, while you do save some money;

1. Old time look = DIY, but is somewhat easier as they're an old "style" to begin with.

2. As much speed as I can get = DIY, they're pretty much the same out of the box, it's all in the finishing touches and upgrades ('cept morini's but those cost the same as a 4stroke)

3. Reliable = DIY again lol as some of the stock components leave a lot to be desired regardless of which "brand" kit, but that's pretty simple and cheap - provided you anticipate it (the forum is filled w/tips concerning just that lol).

4. Probably a kit this round = A good idea because although you'll no doubt replace/upgrade a lot of it - you can easily build a good MB with just the kit components and it's a heck of a lot simpler that way as you'll not hafta guess sizes.

I'd heartily recommend basing your purchase on the reputation of the vendor than any "name brand" - while the engine kits really only differ slightly from one to another, the same can't be said of all those who sell them ;)

As this "hobby" is actually an addiction - you'll want to do a lot of continuing business as you tinker and upgrade. If a kit just turns out to be a lemon or you mistakenly order the wrong part - the coupla bucks ya saved offn ebay was spent right there lol

edit: Oh right, I gotta see yer ol' 1940 Schwinn - I love the vintage look FTW (you need a few posts under yer belt before it'll letcha post links/pics tho, 'nother one or two outa do it)

Last edited:

Masterm222

Feb 14, 2009
Billings, Montana
Whats the difference between the Grubee Skyhawk and the Raw motors. I read a lot about the pk80. Is that a different motor yet? I reallize some motors have 6mm cylinder studs and I'm glad I got rid of the one I had. Just been thinking about building another chopper style bike for the summer since I sold one of my Jags and installed my spare motor on a nieghbors bike. Want to tear down and do all of my porting before install so I can do the transfers on the case halves to. I have a hard time completely tearing down a good runningg motor that far.