'jet' 80's info

GoldenMotor.com

gubba

Dec 29, 2008
jacksonville, florida
does anyone have experience/knowledge with the "jet
80's"?
i've installed about 30 moters into customer's bikes but never a 'jet'.
the price is right but what is their reputation?
i don't want to put a piece of crap in a customer's bike....

thanks for any input

stay dry

gubba

aero07

Oct 12, 2009
Alabama
Here's P80j Jet Info - I only have experience with
the Grubee 80cc and the P80J Jet from Pirate cycles.
It maybe just me but the P80J seems to have a little
more power and bottom end torque. There's also a thread on
a complete tare down of the P80J on the forum.

Model : PK80J-SILVER

Engine type : Single cylinder, air-cooled, 2-stroke

Power * Rotary Speed Rated Power : 2.0Kw / 5000r / min (3HP/5000r/min)

Max Power : 3.5Kw / 6000r / min (5-6HP/6000r/min)

Ignition Mode : CDI

Fuel type : Octane 89 and above

Lubrication Oil : 2 Stroke Synthetic Motorcycle Oil

Mixing Ration for Fuel and Oil : 16:1 for new sets (20:1 after running approx 500Km)

Spark Plug : Z4C 14MM

Fuel Consumption : 2.5L / 100Km

Clutch Type : Friction Plate / Dry

Riding Rich

Aug 14, 2009
pa
I did the PK80-J Teardown and Review.
Search it lots of good info.
I really really like the PK.

Very Powerfull

And Justin at Pirate Cycles is awsem when it comes to customer service.

Mac

Dec 3, 2009
Maine
Well in my case, color would be a HUGE difference! (I bit my lip while writing that), For X-mas. I did 2 builds using new Schwinn Riverside's(7speed). I ordered 2 PK80 Stealth slant head kits. and the usual front mounts (SBP) etc,, well after the usual NGK plugs/tuning etc. The black is a Lame dog, un-tune-able, @#^%$#@$^^. The Silver is a dream machine. I plan on getting with PK tomorrow about warr. No power to.

The quality was good as far as being clean and clutch adjusted, rings all on ring pin guides, nothing missing.

I took the Silver for a ride today, I was taking advantage of the cooperating weather of 20deg F. :). I finally tweeked the carb enough for it to clean out upstairs. Good pull and Huge Q too.
If you need any measurements or anything, let me know. The only thing that is different about the kits is the paint color.

Mac

Riding Rich

Aug 14, 2009
pa
I have both the black and the silver PK and they have both run the same for me.

If your black one isn't running good there must be somethin goin on.

What exactlly is it doing. I can prolly help you get it fixed up and runnin good.

troyboy

Your East Coast Gasbike Connection
Apr 18, 2009
Wista ma
Well in my case, color would be a HUGE difference! (I bit my lip while writing that), For X-mas. I did 2 builds using new Schwinn Riverside's(7speed). I ordered 2 PK80 Stealth slant head kits. and the usual front mounts (SBP) etc,, well after the usual NGK plugs/tuning etc. The black is a Lame dog, un-tune-able, @#^%$#@$^^. The Silver is a dream machine. I plan on getting with PK tomorrow about warr. No power to.

The quality was good as far as being clean and clutch adjusted, rings all on ring pin guides, nothing missing.

I took the Silver for a ride today, I was taking advantage of the cooperating weather of 20deg F. :). I finally tweeked the carb enough for it to clean out upstairs. Good pull and Huge Q too.
If you need any measurements or anything, let me know. The only thing that is different about the kits is the paint color.

Mac
Mac,
Did you get your black PK here from Pirate Cycles.. If so let me know, i'll swap it out for you..
No worries..

Justin

Mac

Dec 3, 2009
Maine
RR,
Thanks, I will check that thread out. I have dome everything I know how to do and some other things too(Norms recommendations). Yesterday, I re-drilled the jet on my silver, #70 bit, WOW what a difference, I do have a SBP Chamber on it, warmed up, did a WOT for about 1/4 mile, plug was perfect, no 4 stroking, sweet acceleration. I'll say this, a Schwinn Riverside is not supposed to go that fast, I built it for a comftable cruiser, but it's nice to get it going at peak performance.
I didn't have access to the Black Jet yesterday, my son went to a friends house. I will swap the carbs 1 last time today. I already contacted Zoom, they offered replacement, will cost me $50.00 to send it back, doesn't make sense money wise. '
I'll let you know later today the results.
Mac

Riding Rich

Aug 14, 2009
pa
I wouldnt send it back.
Talk to justin at pirate cycles i'm sure he would hook you up with a good deal.
He got a large shipment last night.

Maybe i'll take that jet off your hands and fix it.

I'd take the head off and see how much clearence there is between the head and piston.
Use Clay.
.020 / .030 inches is good.

More than that and you could prolly mill down the head and or the cylinder top.

The compression makes a huge diff in performance.
That clearence makes a huge difference.

I allways take my motors apart completly befor i run them.
That way everything is optimal.

Are all your gaskets matched up?

Mac

Dec 3, 2009
Maine
Justin.
No I got it from Zoom. Im new to this Hobby, still getting my sources figured out. I see your down in Worcetser, MA. That's wayyyy closer to Maine, save $$ on shipping. I'll Bmark your site. Thanks.
Mac

Mac

Dec 3, 2009
Maine
RRch,
All gaskets are intact. Motor has good compression. It revs slower than usual, like it's under load (yes the clutch is fully disengaged). Has about 1/2 the power of the Silver...
I'm getting tired of my son looking at my MB, and then his, with THAT smile...

Mac

Dec 3, 2009
Maine
RRich,
The Black jet has stock exhaust as did my Silver until I got it tuned and running right in the stock configuration. I'm a belt and suspenders kind of guy, I wouldn't add more "variables" to a motor that wasn't running right, I piped the Silver AFTER it was performing correctly, 1 thing at a time. I know the carb. that is tuned for a pipe will not perform the same on a non-piped motor, but it's a heck of a lot closer.. besides it's a reasonably effective way to eliminate a major carb. issue. As you probably know, taking parts off one bike to trouble shoot another is a pain in the butt, wind up doing 3x the work, and the warm up and test ride in 20deg F. is always pleasurable.
Thanks for the help, I'm always open to suggestions.

Mac

Riding Rich

Aug 14, 2009
pa
The only thing to remember is that pipe makes a huge difference in power overall.
Really the only other thing besides tuning that i can think of is TIMING.
Maybe the black 1 u got wasn't casted as clean.
.5 mm one way or the other on a Port will make a big diff.

I ported my black PK.
Not alot either about 1mm adjustments.
I'll tell ya the difference is pretty impressive.

If i get a chance to get a SD mem card today i might be able to get some video.
I have a cheaper camera but hopefully the sound will be pretty good.
And i'd love to take you guys for a ride in the snow.

It's pretty nasty out there today.
I ride at least 10 Miles a day to work and back.
No matter how cold it is.