I Love My Two Stroke Bike

GoldenMotor.com

Egor

Jan 30, 2008
Hurricane Utah
I have been posting about the building of the Happy Time engines I have built and I think it needs to be over in this Forum. I have solved so many of the problems with the little engine that now I enjoy them more than my Whizzer bike. I hope the guys at Whizzer don't find out. I mean it I have gotten mine to run like my 63 Yamaha Omaha Trail, and I loved that bike. Ill bring the info over here so we can apply it to all our bikes. I love these bike engines and they love me. LOL Have fun, Dave

Egor

Jan 30, 2008
Hurricane Utah
Don't get the wrong Idea I am going to give it to you straight. Here goes.
Well I got another one finished today. Ill tell you this, these kits are not the easiest things to get going. First off the sprockets are the worst. I have to carve on them for at least an hour. The one on the engine was so bad the the chain would not come close to running through. The one in the rear just kept derailing till I hit every tooth on the sides so that they would role into the chain. I am getting tired of the head studs being too long. The last engine had the stack of washers and I thought this one would be better, (not). As soon as the engine started it blew the head gasket, the aluminum is so soft that it just pushed it out from under the head, I added another washer to the stack and a new gasket and it runs fine. The last bike I found had 32 spokes so the sprocket would not go on that wheel, and I liked that one. I found a wheel on a Recumbant bike I was building so that is the one on it now. I ran the bike around for a while, it runs good and quiet, but the porting is doing no good with the stock muffler, I will do my mods to that too. I up'd the size of the hole in the carb to a .063 and it seems to work good. It was idling straight away. I like the 41 tooth sprocket that came with the kit, the chrome tank, I think I like too. The clutch handle is the best, I never thought I would like anything better than the Russian one. The throttle and kill switch is better than the last batch of engines I got. As soon as I work out the last of the bugs I am going to paint the thing, I know I said that the last time I built a bike and it is still the same old color. Have fun, Dave

Egor

Jan 30, 2008
Hurricane Utah
Do you think this barrel has missed a machining operation? To me it looks like they forgot to mill the top, see the rounded over edge! I put it on the block and put the piston to the top and it fall's short. You can see I have been carving on the ports. I widened the transfer and enlarged the exhaust and intake. Well, I don't know what to think about the barrel I will try and put it on the mill and mill the top off. Have fun, Dave

PS: The cylinder I used on the other engine was clean shave'n and the piston was at top. See the piston in the other pic how low the pin location is, (short rod). Also look and the size of the cut outs for the transfer ports, I removed a lot of metal from that barrel (one on top)

Attachments

Egor

Jan 30, 2008
Hurricane Utah
I have not run the cylinders from the two Dax engines yet I only have the one I previously ported and it was of another make. I love the way this engine runs so far I only wish it was with the barrel it came with. I don't like the idea I have to machine the top to get it rite. I guess it would work, the main thing is that the rest of the buying public that get this engine would not have the means to do the work it needs to be correct. I know the cost of the engine is kept down by making as many steps easy as they can. The head gasket was pure Aluminum, I used it again with the new barrel but the head studs were too long and the nuts bottomed out and it blew the gasket out immediate. If I had run the engine straight out of the box I can only wonder if it would have worked, the barrel I took off could be taller. I never run the engines out of the box, there are too many things wrong with the engine that just need to be done, it would run but Why. Have fun, Dave

Egor

Jan 30, 2008
Hurricane Utah
I did a final mod on the carb and I need to post it over at the carb mod thread. I said I put the hole in the carb at .062 and I liked the way it ran but it still needed something, I have a repair manual for the year 1910 It is actually patent leather and looks like a Bible, (don't tell the Bishop, but I can get away with having it in Bible class) I just can't help read when asked. LOL. But one of the things in the book was a section about Wick carburetors. Yea they made them! Well I thought about the Happy carb and thought, if I add a kind of wick under the hole I made in the carb it would add more fuel MIX to the idle. And what do you think! I let the engine idle for ten minutes and not a hiccup. So here is a Pic. Have fun, Dave

PS: I Need to find a way to post YouTube vids so I can show off how well it runs. What do you think of the light on the Schwinn? Cool Yea

Attachments

Egor

Jan 30, 2008
Hurricane Utah
I took this bike out for a long ride today and it is so much a pleasure to ride I wish I could get every one of your bikes to run this good. Ill put links to the threads I have made to help get every bike so that its owner can have a Happy Time. Have fun, Dave

PS: I have been known to be a perpetual tinkerer! I have a Four cylinder outboard engine that is making its way to a BIKE
PSS: Early pic of the bike.

Attachments

Last edited:

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Egor,
Thank you so much for sharing your considerable knowledge. I'll be following along closely as if I were going to school. In a sense I am. More power is nice, especially on hills and such, but smooth, reliable running is what I'm looking for. I don't have a lot in tools, but judging from the past posts of yours, many things can be done by rank amateurs with pretty simple tools if we know what we are doing and why we are doing it. My hat is off to you, Sir. (And I still want your new headlight.)
Silverbear

xlite

Jun 18, 2009
ny,ny
I up'd the size of the hole in the carb to a .063 and it seems to work good. It was idling straight away.
.063 inches? That's about two and a half times bigger than stock. If HTs even run with an aperture that big plug would foul in first couple miles. You'd probably get less miles per gallon than a ford SUV. :)

Egor

Jan 30, 2008
Hurricane Utah
Sorry I need to be more clear, I am not talking about the main jet, I am talking about the hole I drill in the body of the carb. I started a thread about a mod to the carb to add fuel for the idle, I added a piece of cotton held in place by a small wire wound around the stem and it holds fuel next to the hole drilled. I need to add a link to the carb, so leave the main jet alone.

I took the bike out again today and another thing I noticed is that it starts easier also. I tickled the carb and it took rite off. I love the way it runs and is low on vibration, I think it is the short rod.
Have fun, Dave
.063 inches? That's about two and a half times bigger than stock. If HTs even run with an aperture that big plug would foul in first couple miles. You'd probably get less miles per gallon than a ford SUV. :)

Last edited:

Egor

Jan 30, 2008
Hurricane Utah
I still need to take more off the rear sprocket so the points of the teeth are tapered in at the top from the sides. I did the outside some but it needs more and the inside a lot. I think if we could get perfect alignment to the engine that would work but that is not possible. I am looking for a piece of 1" pipe to add to the frame just under the top one, I think it will make it look vintage. Have fun, Dave

xlite

Jun 18, 2009
ny,ny
Sorry I need to be more clear, I am not talking about the main jet, I am talking about the hole I drill in the body of the carb. I started a thread about a mod to the carb to add fuel for the idle, I added a piece of cotton held in place by a small wire wound around the stem and it holds fuel next to the hole drilled. I need to add a link to the carb, so leave the main jet alone.
Ah yes... I did that mod on two carbs. No wire/cotton. Tried it with and without the slot in the slide (don't see how that slot makes any difference considering the idle screw).

Can't say there was any improvement in idle but it was pretty smooth before so... who knows.

Egor

Jan 30, 2008
Hurricane Utah
Well I did something to the bike today. I was making a run in front of the Aquarium, there is a "go round" and it is fun to carve the corners but I was going pretty fast and gave her the gun and hit a spot in the engine I should not have gone. It was pulling like my old Yamaha and then it happened, a very bad vibration like something came loose on the inside, it shook the bike real hard and I pulled the clutch in and let her coast. It was still running so I tried to see if it was OK but now the engine vibrates all the time, not real bad but not good. I think I may have twisted the crank, you know the flywheels are out of alignment, that is all I can think of. Any way I now need to take the engine apart and see whats up. I was thinking of putting the new engine in there and see how it would run with no mods any way, now I have an excuse. I will keep you posted. Have fun, Dave

Egor

Jan 30, 2008
Hurricane Utah
I started to build a Recumbant bike, and the Lads at the shop think I should build a Worlds Fastest Happy Time, what do you think? I think I will just build the Recumbant. The other is a Concept I want to build, with a Briggs and Stratton 2.5. It would have double down tubes that would continue all the way to the rear wheel. Have fun, Dave

Attachments

xlite

Jun 18, 2009
ny,ny
I started to build a Recumbant bike, and the Lads at the shop think I should build a Worlds Fastest Happy Time, what do you think? I think I will just build the Recumbant. The other is a Concept I want to build, with a Briggs and Stratton 2.5. It would have double down tubes that would continue all the way to the rear wheel. Have fun, Dave
I've been wanting to do a scratch built recumbent. Specially after I found they cost thousands. Not sure if it would attract unwanted attention which could be a problem since the motor is technically illegal. May do it anyway. Please keep us updated.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
I am sooo enjoying this thread!
Sorry to hear the bad news, Egor. I hope the crank did not twist on you. That would mean that it could easily happen to any of us that mod our engines.
If that is what happened, I wonder of cryo freezing a crank could help prevent it from twisting. I bet it would help.

Egor

Jan 30, 2008
Hurricane Utah
Gear Nut - I saw that someone welded the crank pin in place, if I remember he found the wheels out of true from the factory. I will take the top off and run a dial indicator on the wheels and see if it twisted. I saw a guy on a Whizzer going down Spring st. today over by Eldorado Park. It was a black one with a bobbed rear fender, looked cool. We are planning a ride out around Apple Vally when it cools down, out some of old Rout 66. Have fun, Dave

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Welding the crank pin is not a bad idea. It does make rebuilding the crank a bit more difficult though.
All modern Harleys need thier crank pin welded if one wants to hop up the engine. If you don't do it, it becomes not a matter of if they will twist but rather when. Even bone stock engines can twist the flywheels. A real sad state of affairs with them.

Last edited:

Egor

Jan 30, 2008
Hurricane Utah
I have an engine with a bad crank and I took it apart by just driving it apart with a couple of bars over the vice it was not hard. I have since gotten an arbor press, just for lite work but it would work for this engine. The wheels are soft Iron. I used to take the Honda cranks apart and it took a 3 ton press. This engine has the removable weights that are hollowed out for balancing. I saw one of the guys was going to run the engine with-ought the weights. Have fun, Dave

PS: I have not worked on a Harley in 40 years and the ones we did, did not make enough power to twist the crank. Plus they were choppers. I love the sound of a Big Ducati in the morning, yea.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
The new Harley Twin Cams use press together flywheels, just like these chinese ones.
They are still full circle wheels too, only 1 piece halves now. The pinion shaft and sprocket shaft are cast as part of flywheel half.
It takes a minimum of a 50 ton press to get the press fit crank pin to budge.
That taken into account, they can still twist on a bone stock, no modifications what-so-ever engine.
No more taper lock shafts and 350 ftlb torqued sprocket shaft nut.
Harley's answer to warranty issues: increase the pinion shaft run out from a scarry 0.002" to a stupifying 0.012!
Imagine a pinion shaft wobbling about at 0.012! Can you say bearing damage? The horror of it all is the oil pump now rides around the pinion shaft. The shaft goes through it and it is a trochoidal pump. At more than .001 runout, the pump's gears and oil pump body get trashed quickly and cease to pump oil.
Supposedly this all was remedied by model year 2006. I ain't buying it........

Egor

Jan 30, 2008
Hurricane Utah
Well I am having a time getting this stock engine in the bike to run. I guess the older cylinders have a different angle cast into the exhaust outlet. With it stock the header would just run into the pedals. I removed the cylinder again and changed the angle. I just take a large file and work it moving the surface more to the center of the bike. It worked out fine. I wonder what everyone else is doing to make the parts fit? I took some pics of the cylinder with a modified one next to it, so you can see the mods I do. I will put that up. I need to take the sprocket off the engine and cut the gears so that it will run on the chain. I am going to file the cover that goes over the mag so that the clearance is better for the pedals also, I think and 1/8" will make it the same height as the sprocket cover. I was going to leave the flashing on the Cylinder fins so it would be bone stock but I could not take it so I cleaned them up, I did not touch the ports! I am leaving the carb alone also, Ill keep you posted. Have fun, Dave

PS: I put a pic of the rings and how I round them over.

Attachments