Belt drive: Wet or dry? Question and tip.

GoldenMotor.com

Roadkill

Feb 14, 2009
Roadkill, USA
Some say spray belt with chemicals and other substances. That seems debatable. I have a GEBE and the belt holds up well. Problem is the belt wants to slightly rub against the gear channel wearing it down. This belt must be centered as much as possible for minimal rub. No matter what you do though the belt will start to fray and run (unwind threads) in time. The tip is to get a propane torch and burn off the threads fast enough to not melt the rubber on belt and or anything else (gas tank, tire etc).

I am wondering if a simple water mist would help the belt NOT start to fray, as it would be liquid cooled by intermittent water spray. Probably an odd thought but maybe there is another non-corrosive to rubber material I could use to prevent fraying?

I check belt every 10 miles and usually hit it with a short burst of flame where needed.

Roadkill

Feb 14, 2009
Roadkill, USA
Belt dressing is discouraged by seller. These belts are kinda thin. If you have used dressing and got thousands of miles out of the thing let me know. How do you line up your gear to sheave perfectly? TIA to all.