Engine starts when rolling in neutral (sometimes)

GoldenMotor.com

Nerevar

Oct 9, 2008
Pennsylvania, USA
Hi all!
I just had my first ride of the season today, and the engine is pulling strong! Even with the end of last year's fuel lol. On the last ride of last season, the flower nut on the pressure plate of the clutch had somehow worked itself loose and I had no clutch. The old flower nut was now basically round. I bought a new one and it arrived yesterday. Installed it, and presto, working clutch, except now sometimes when rolling with the clutch lever pulled in the engine will start even though the bike is still in neutral. Other than that it's running great. Rode about 20 mi. today! Nice weather here in PA! Any suggestions?

RedB66

Dec 28, 2007
Sunshine State
Question is...."Is it in Nuetral?" Whenever you adjust the flower nut you should check the tension on the actual clutch cable. Make sure your getting the full motion of the arm.

Nerevar

Oct 9, 2008
Pennsylvania, USA
Yes, it is in neutral, meaning the clutch lever is fully pulled in. I took the cover off and it does disengage. However, after several feet of rolling I can hear a metallic grinding, and the friction disc will suddenly make contact and cause the engine to turn once quickly, then it returns to being fully in neutral. Any ideas what I should look for before I tear the clutch apart?