Starting problems!!

GoldenMotor.com

Bobby S

Jun 17, 2011
pomona, ca
So I am sure I did all the installation correctly. I checked the spark plug to see if it was wet... and it was, well alittle anyway. and I when i try to start the engine it starts, puts, and then turns off. I don't understand what it is. I tried to change the choke. when the engine was cold I turned the choke on/up and when it heated up (once, after about 50 tries.) i turned it to half choke.

Any ideas??

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
Did you pull the tank shut off valve out of the gas tank, and clean the inside, and strainer. Have you checked the fuel flow to the carburetor? Have you checked the carburetor needle and valve, have you checked the float...how about those for starters?

Bobby S

Jun 17, 2011
pomona, ca
okay I'll try the tank thing. When I pressed the pump ( little nob on carb ) a few times gas started coming out of bottom. When I assembled the bike I made sure the needle and the valve was working correctly. I can feel and hear moving when I turn the throttle. And I don't know what a float is?? Sorry I am new at this and not yet familiar with all of the names and terms.

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
okay I'll try the tank thing. When I pressed the pump ( little nob on carb ) a few times gas started coming out of bottom. When I assembled the bike I made sure the needle and the valve was working correctly. I can feel and hear moving when I turn the throttle. And I don't know what a float is?? Sorry I am new at this and not yet familiar with all of the names and terms.
These are the things that you NEED to run a engine...
1. Compression
2. Fuel
3. Ignition

1. Can or have you checked the compression.
2. The needle and seat can not be heard by turning of the throttle. Check the float needle..This can only be done by opening the carburetor.
3. Just because you may have fire from the high voltage lead (spark plug leads) off the CDI, is no guarantee it will fire through the plug when installed. Bad plug or loss of compression are factors.

The Three Things it Takes to Make an Engine Run

Here is a shot of the float, needle and seat inside the carburetor.