Clutch must be "slipping" right?

GoldenMotor.com

Ghost0

Mar 7, 2008
Bellingham, WA
Yes that is definitely clutch slip. Either your clutch cable is too tight, which I can't tell from the vid or you need to adjust the flower nut.

NerpAngel

Sep 28, 2009
Ellensburg,WA
I took the cable out and just tried to walk it forward and it still didn't spin. Also, i've tried like 10 different flower nut spots and nothing has worked :(

Ghost0

Mar 7, 2008
Bellingham, WA
Well if the flower nut did not solve your problem then I think the problem is more severe. Like something is really broke and not just out of adjustment. Check in Norm's repair section for a thread on clutch removal and repair. I fear that the large spring in your crank case has broken, of course it could have just loosened up but that is where I would start.

NerpAngel

Sep 28, 2009
Ellensburg,WA
Update:...

We realized that when we pull the clutch lever in and out, that plate that sits right below the flower nut doesn't fully move in and out. A section of it stays behind while the rest of the plate moves freely back and forth. Why is this one spot sticking like that? The spring right behind this plate is flat against the plate... I even tried my spring on his bike and it was the same problem.. :(

Ghost0

Mar 7, 2008
Bellingham, WA
It is very common for the pressure plate not to move away from the clutch pads evenly, just the nature of things. Nothing to worry about. Your problem is that the internal spring is no longer applying enough force to engage the clutch. I still think that either your internal spring is broken or has spun loose. Look at Norms clutch repair and rebuild section and you can see how to remove the clutch and output shaft. This will tell you if this is where the problem is.

dytesaft

Nov 9, 2009
norway
a pretty similar problem happened to me a while ago, i had tightened the flower nut to max but it still wasnt engagin, so i took out the clutch pads and cleaned them with brake cleaner and inserted them back in. now my flower nut is hardly tightened at all and clutch works perfectly and not slipping.