Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Bicycle Motor > Motorized Bicycle Trouble Shooting

Motorized Bicycle Trouble Shooting Use this area to post problems that may arise, if you could use some help in figuring out what is wrong with your engine and what needs to be done to achieve top performance.

Old 01-08-2017, 03:29 PM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie

Default Need Recommendations and Help

Sorry if this was posted in the wrong area.

I'm currently working on building a motorized bicycle. I built one before with one of the chinese 4 stroke kits but this one is just much bigger that what i had originally imagined. I currently have a 212cc Predator Engine, I've heard they mess up spoke and didn't bother worrying about it because i have a sprocket mounted to my rear wheel. I'm attempting to jackshaft it, the problem is: I don't know gearing and so im hoping someone can help me out. the way I am attempting to jackshaft it is to have the drive sprocket on the left while the wheels sprocket is on the right. I really could use the help and wisdom of people who have been at this awhile. thank you for taking the time to read this

- Beach cruiser ~shcwinn
- 212cc Predator engine
- not much else is gathered except the kill switch and minor stuff.
Old 01-08-2017, 03:33 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Re: Need Recommendations and Help

How fast are you wanting to go?
Old 01-08-2017, 04:29 PM

Mine is geared through a belt drive cvt to a 50t sprocket. Plenty of speed, remarkable torque, and seamless shifting is really nice. Look up the TAV2 or go kart torque converter.
Old 01-08-2017, 06:13 PM

If you're looking for how to set up the jackshaft, here are some pics of the jackshaft on my 125cc lifan bike, it might give you some ideas:

Left side view:

Right side view:

Including rear wheel sprocket (note that your rear sprocket would be bigger as the lifan has internal gear reduction while the predator does not):

If you're interested, here's the whole bike:
Old 01-08-2017, 09:34 PM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie

You've got a really nice looking bike. Is there a kit that you'd recommend or a site where I can order specific parts. If you could explain the gear reduction that'd be great.
Old 01-08-2017, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senjikua13 View Post
You've got a really nice looking bike. Is there a kit that you'd recommend or a site where I can order specific parts. If you could explain the gear reduction that'd be great.
Actually, I've got 2 really nice looking bikes lol. The black one is nicer than the red one, although the black one is still unfinished (it's to the point where I can ride it though, and it can hit 65 mph!). If you're using a predator engine, the last thing you want to do is buy a kit. Predator kits are even more garbage than the 2 stroke kits. For information on gear ratios, read step 55 of my instructable: http://www.instructables.com/id/79cc...LLSTEPS#step55

For that matter, you might want to read the entire instructable, the only difference is that you are using the 212cc instead of the 79cc, pretty much everything else will be the same. Are you planning to remove the governor system btw? If you are (and I'd highly recommend it) that might be a bit different, but should be similar. And I'd also recommend using sturdier wheels than the ones shown in the instructable, personally I'm a big fan of mag wheels. My red bike currently looks like this:
The red one has teny rims, the black one has I don't know what, but they were from mbrebel.com.
Old 01-09-2017, 01:08 AM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie

I will take a look at the instruct able. Why do you recommend removing the governor? I bought a set of Max's but mine are a bit different than yours. I'll post a pic of then after I'm I get back over to my buddies.
Old 01-09-2017, 01:12 AM

The governor system's purpose is to prevent you from blowing up your rototiller or what have you by limiting the rpm of the engine to about 3600. Remove the governor, and you can turn at least 6000 rpm, and you'll go almost twice as fast. Also due to the clutch engaging around the 2800 rpm range, if you don't remove the governor you'll have a very narrow speed range.
Old 01-09-2017, 01:16 AM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie

I'm not truly seeking to speed it up but being able to seat around 30mph would be nice anything extra would be nice but not truly needed
Old 01-09-2017, 01:19 AM

If you remove the governor, then you can have it turn like 4400 rpm at 30 mph, and gear it lower so you have lots of power. Try a 13:1 ratio, that should give you plenty of power and a top speed of about 35. BTW why did you decide to use the 212 instead of the 79 if you only want to go 30 mph?