Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Mountain Bikes and Road Bikes

Motorized Mountain Bikes and Road Bikes Motorize a full suspension mountain bike to get a smother ride or for a little more speed try motorized road bicycles. This section is for sharing ideas on motorizing your mountain and road bikes.

Old 12-12-2016, 12:21 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Re: First build

Also, I've found this hub adapter and it looks like it would work really well. http://www.ebay.com/itm/171282953191...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
To sum up Necromancer's post, there's a ton of upgrades to do to the two stroke kit to make it better. Or just plain usable...
Buy #41 or #420 chain from the hardware store, it will fit your current sprockets and pretty much never break.
Old 12-12-2016, 12:46 PM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie

I saw that one on EBay as well, looked pretty adaptable, I still think I'm SOL with my funny shaped rear hub, but I'm going to measure it at the widest point, I'm thinking I may be able to install a shim of some type to "even" it out if necessary.

Just not getting a warm fuzzy, about this chain and sprocket setup (that came with it), as I've stated I've been working on 50+ HP ATV's for a long time and chain / sprocket quality and alignment are crucial to a good fun, reliable and safe time. I'm going to upgrade it somehow, just not sure which option at this time, I really like this bike I found, good quality bearings and sold as a rock (it's old) so I'd like to keep my rear wheel assemble if possible.

Keep the ideas and comments coming!!!!

I like and respect all input, experience is everything with projects like this. As I always tell my kids "You can learn more in 5 min from someone who already solved the problem, so listen"

Last edited by bigwave; 12-12-2016 at 12:54 PM.
Old 12-12-2016, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultralight01 View Post
Also, I've found this hub adapter and it looks like it would work really well. http://www.ebay.com/itm/171282953191...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
To sum up Necromancer's post, there's a ton of upgrades to do to the two stroke kit to make it better. Or just plain usable...
Buy #41 or #420 chain from the hardware store, it will fit your current sprockets and pretty much never break.
I'm not so sure about that hose clamp... if I was going to use a hub adapter, I'd get one with bolts that I can really torque down to make sure it doesn't go anywhere.
Old 12-13-2016, 05:46 PM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie

" If you have a drill press (or if you're really patient and careful, you could probably get away with a handheld drill), you could also make your own disc adapter for a lot less, I can walk you through it if you want to go that route. "

Disk adaptor plan, lay it on me, I have a drill press, a small welder, I'm extremely patient and tenacious when building and constructing. And I keep at least one fridge full of ICE COLD BARELY pops, that's a requirement when working on my jeep, mustang or ATV's
And my trusty Hounds "Vader and Capt. Rex" , are always by my side. Not to mention it's 20 degrees and falling, outside, and I'm bored :-\

Last edited by bigwave; 12-13-2016 at 05:48 PM.
Old 12-14-2016, 09:41 AM

not entirely advisable but if you need a few mill try removing he outer set of metal plates that go behind the sprocket and it may get you what you need, as I say not advisable but may work for you, did for me and lasted around 300 miles (I was doing 150 miles a week at the time so was relatively short time to me) if you only plan on doing small miles at a time it may last surprising amount of time before it needs fixed.
Old 12-14-2016, 09:48 AM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie

Rear sprocket / hub adaptor: I'm going to give it a try and see how it goes, I've got it pretty well lined up. I see a few other high dollar MT bikes I have hanging from the ceiling have a thicker, same size rear hub without the conical curves in the hub, I didn't want to use a $1200 bike for this project, but I might swap rear wheels around with one of them. Problem solved, and I can get the new rear sprocket / adaptor and spend 0 on a new rear wheel, we don't ride them much and the rear wheel on this one has a good set of bearings, 36 spokes, and seems solid.
Old 12-16-2016, 05:48 PM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie

Whelp, she made the maiden voyage, took three tries and the removal of another link from the chain to get it to stay on. But, after that it stayed on for 2 laps around the hood, took a little work to get the idle right and the throttle cable adjusted but no problem there. All and all, I'd say a success. Running stihl chain-saw oil in it at 16:1 for break in; that's what I had in the cabinet. Why only two laps around the neighborhood?? Because it was 9-degress outside and I looked like Jim Carrey of "dumb and dumber" after just 2 laps!