Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle Welding, Fabrication and Painting - The Chop Shop

Motorized Bicycle Welding, Fabrication and Painting - The Chop Shop Custom fabrication and projects, tanks, frames and more.

Old 03-19-2016, 05:28 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Re: rear suspension #2

Wow, making it happen!

I ordered and just got 2 hangers from BMI via ebay for $9 shipped. Looks like you have it handled though.

Honda sounds lean maybe. Clean the main jet with wire or torch cleaners. May have a varnish build ring up that carb cleaner wont remove.
Old 03-19-2016, 07:08 PM

Yeah..agk being out all the time affects all. On that honda issue...i put a nt carb on..same thing. Till i find a small honda racing mechanic...its out of sight..out of mind... Dang emotional buy...
Old 03-19-2016, 10:02 PM

yeah BMI seems to make their money on ripping people off on shipping... two hangars costs $6 to ship priority with the flat rate box. I bought some stuff from them and it cost over $20 to ship something that would have cost me less than $10..

Last edited by Tony01; 05-09-2016 at 03:41 AM.
Old 03-19-2016, 11:36 PM

Glad to hear the build is coming! Im thinking of running my nexus 3sp. Im going to have 12t engine to 36 js to 12t down to the freewheel...thats where i dont know what to run back to the 18 on the hub. If i go 60t (#35) then 24 back to the 18 hub. Got any idea if that would work. I have no idea what 1st ratio is on the nexus . with a 212..2speed you'll be able to take the freeway...lol
Old 03-20-2016, 03:02 AM

Haha freeway!!! LOL!! . I'd like to build something comfy enough to ride to the races... 450mi from here.... You know... Road trip...

The hardtail made my back ache after 50mi days.

Dunno about the nexus but you won't have engine braking with it. The sturmey s3x you will and it's a 60% jump from first to top gear.

With the 60 it will be 5:1 at the engine but then you will overdrive it to the hub. Maybe a 11 instead of the 24 that will give 9 in nexus direct drive.
Old 03-20-2016, 07:09 AM

About the IGHs I run both the Nexus and the SA S3X.

The Nexus has direct drive in 2nd with a .733 reduction in first and a 1.36 OD of 2nds direct ratio.

The S3X has 3rd as direct are the other ratios are lower. It is nice to have engine braking this hub gives. Plus it will drive in any direction.

For a Nexus build if you ran a primary of 11t/25t a secondary of 10t/44t top speed at 4k rpm would be 40mph, 52mph @ 5k rpm. This gives a low ratio of nearly 14:1 for take off.
To lower the ratio add teeth to the primary jackshaft sprocket. Remember a stock CG sprocket bolts directly to an 18t sprocket on the Nexus.

The S3X is not so easy dealing with the sprockets as the center is larger and the sprockets have a different spline set up. It is tough, handles pedal starting a CG with no issues. Its an excellent hub! Worth the extra $$ and time need to make a sprocket for it. The Nexus is more fragile but I feel will last with care. Plus they are cheap as dirt if you shop around.
Old 03-20-2016, 03:18 PM

Cb2..those sx3's...130$...I'll try the nexus..and be gentle. Then again...after experiencing engine breaking on the last Briggs..i liked it.Good info 01.. now I have a starting ratio from experience. If.. the nexus don't hold up..maybe a freehub with just 2 gears. They sell a 1gear swap out..so why not remove a spacer add another gear. Maybe I could use single speed chain too.
Old 03-20-2016, 04:25 PM

Into the wind...making the mm & js plate ...pic coming

Last edited by scratchbuilder; 03-21-2016 at 07:19 PM. Reason: Remove the snivel
Old 03-21-2016, 09:34 PM

Well, scratch is scratching my attempt at a js carrier. I'll have bite the bullet and wait for carriers.....and pay the 13$ shipping. But my way will not work. I need the space that the 1 1/4 pipe takes up. Running the js hangers will give me another 1/2" of adjustment for chain tension. Its a good thing....that way i dont rush the build.
Old 03-21-2016, 10:41 PM

Awlrigght. ebay.. 2 of the agk type bearing hangers 9$ free shipping. Interestingly the seller is 'stevbmi'..could be bmi..on their site it was 13$ for shipping..thx for the info on ebay CB2