Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle Welding, Fabrication and Painting - The Chop Shop

Motorized Bicycle Welding, Fabrication and Painting - The Chop Shop Custom fabrication and projects, tanks, frames and more.

Old 05-06-2011, 11:06 AM
The Boy Who Never Grew Up

Default Re: Tinsmith's saddle how to...

Here's the thread I was trying to find which shows how to do a vintage seat in a thinner leather like elk hide. It is simpler and involves no stitching. I posted this thread last summer. Hope it is helpful to someone.
http://motorbicycling.com/f38/rebuil...eat-24473.html
SB
Old 05-06-2011, 11:36 AM
a guy who makes cool bikes

that looks pretty awesome. i've got a pile of old rusted seat pans and one of these days i'm gonna have a go at re-doing them. thanks for the how-to!
Old 05-06-2011, 03:21 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Not the leather or the method that counts, it's the Silverbear touch.

Steve.
Old 05-07-2011, 06:22 AM

You guys are kind. Baird, I wanted to congratulate you on your great showing at the Death Race... woohool One of the best things that has happened for me here on the forum was the time I spent with you and Barelyawake in the Rustoration Buildoff over a year ago. I was way out of my league and have learned so much from you both. Good to give back the little I can.
SB
Old 12-14-2011, 11:24 PM

I wish I would have read this before I did my seat. I was going for the bobber look so I used a banna seat from Italy. That pan was modifed to bend up where it hits the chopped fender. I was lucky enough to let my wife take me to a thrift store. I found a childs wet suit with gel pad knees and a womans leather jacket, cheap. I used a black and Decker knealing pad. I put the pan inside the leg of the suit and cut to length. Super glued it under the pan. Then I cemented the B&D pad to the suit with gel pad in optimum position for the buns. Stuck that assembly into the arm of the jacket, trimed and glued.

Last edited by OG-Whizzerdude; 12-14-2011 at 11:29 PM.
Old 12-14-2011, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OG-Whizzerdude View Post
I wish I would have read this before I did my seat. I was going for the bobber look so I used a banna seat from Italy. That pan was modifed to bend up where it hits the chopped fender. I was lucky enough to let my wife take me to a thrift store. I found a childs wet suit with gel pad knees and a womans leather jacket, cheap. I used a black and Decker knealing pad. I put the pan inside the leg of the suit and cut to length. Super glued it under the pan. Then I cemented the B&D pad to the suit with gel pad in optimum position for the buns. Stuck that assembly into the arm of the jacket, trimed and glued.
Sounds like you made a very comfortable saddle. Excellent! It's surprising and gratifying, too, to see what you can come up with, winging it. I'd like to see a picture if you're willing to share. I'll try to remember to take a picture this weekend of the saddle from this thread now on Tinsmith's stretch Worksman and having being ridden a good many miles.
SB
Old 12-15-2011, 12:17 AM

I'm not that proud of this one. A little too bulky. I need to trim down some foam.
The good news; I still have an arm and a leg. Lol
Old 12-15-2011, 05:50 AM

Understood. The first seat I rebuilt is on my Panther and the upholstery job is kind of rough. I was trying to cover it in the same way it had been covered at the factory instead of using my own instincts. Their material was much thinner than the Elk hide I was using so my attempt was on the boochy side. Works fine, but very obviously was done not quite right, so one of these days when I get around to it I'll do it again and try to make it nicer. That's the good thing about our builds... they're never really done and we always have opportunities to make them better.
SB
Old 12-15-2011, 09:01 AM

Excellent work Silverbear! It's great seeing the old seats being refurbished and utilized on new builds!
Old 12-16-2011, 01:30 AM

I put so much into the front end on this bike, the seat has re-do written all over it!