Notched Cooling Fins?

GoldenMotor.com

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
The castor 927 is already mixed with an oil base so the amount in a teaspoon to a gallon wouldn't be very much, but you could mix it at 32 or 40:1 and be plenty safe.... you would want pure castor oil light the Sig brand stuff that's refined and de gummed if you want to add in with the opti2 or your favorite oil... this stuff is usually sold at hobby stores to mix in with model fuels, but here's an online source... it's kinda pricy, but 4 or 8 ounces would last thru several gallons of mix... http://www.sigmfg.com/cgi-bin/dpsmart.exe/IndexText/FSIGCO001.html?E+Sig

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Yup... for the Fred heads, the only one at that price is the 6cc version... the specialty heads with dual plugs or different chamber sizes are all at regular prices, which are also very fair considering the quality and what you're getting.
Luckily, most everyday ridden bikes do really well on the 6cc version, which is why it's the most copied version of his heads and same for most the other aftermarket heads, the 6cc size will work on just about any setup. The larger and smaller combustion chamber heads definitely have their place, but for almost any street ridden engine, the 6cc is going to be the best choice....

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
There is always a possibility since that head does make more compression you may need to go up a size, but with its considerably higher cooling capacity it will most likely balance out, just monitor your temperature and do a plug chop to be sure. The extra compression may mean you will need to run higher octane fuel so if you think you hear any pinging or see any signs of aluminum flecks on your spark plug when you check it, go up to premium and everything should be good.
Personally I haven't had any detonation issues with a 6cc head but I've been running 93 octane mixed with opti2, mine may ping on regular 87 octane pump gas on a hot day but I'm not going to chance it when it's running so good as is...

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
They notch cooling fins on Harleys and most all big bikes I know of...

And well come to think of it, it would look neat, especially on a painted jug.
What does everyone think?
Hi Fellow ZOnie.
How about our AZ Card's ehh?
3-0 with a 2 game lead in our division.

Anyway, slots in your cylinder fins won't hurt anything nor will they help any.
The majority of heat dissipation is done via the head, which is regulated by the heat number on the spark plug.

I am no fan of high compression heads even for $40.
What I do is put in a bit longer NGK spark plug which adds a bit more compression itself and only $10, but you need to get the Heat Index Number right.

It works like this; the higher the middle number in the plug number, the more heat is dissipated from the engine.

The general rule is use the highest number you can run until it runs so cold you foul plugs, it's heat that burns the deposits out and your engine likes running plenty warm.

Heck, I even paint most heads with High Temp black paint which really hampers cooling, but I run NGK 5944 (BPR7HIX) Iridium spark plugs in all my 2-stroke builds for here in the valley even in summer with no heat issues.

This time of year you may need to warm up to a 6 just keep your engine hot enough to not foul the plug.

I hope that helps you understand how heat is transferred out and the importance of keeping some in.

Last edited:

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
If you can find a black paint that'll stay put and it's not as thick as engine paint, the black color really tends to sucked the heat toward the paint so it can actually aid in cooling... maybe see if someone in your area can anodize a few heads in black instead of using paint and see if it runs cooler... you could probably even polish the heads in a tumbler or vibratory shaker loaded with a fine media before having them anodized black for a really nice appearance when finished... the anodizing may not be cost effective if doing only one or 2 but if a batch of 10 or more was sent out it could help keep the price down...
I've seen one seller on ebay that sells anodized billet heads, they are all clones of the Fred, Jake's, BMW, and so on, I haven't seen any anodized stock heads available for sale tho... they do look cool in red,blue or gold tho....

Aug 26, 2015
Overgaard AZ
WOOT GO CARDNIALS! Thanks KC, I've been wondering about plugs. Which brings me to the next question. How long can the threads on the plug be? The NGK plugs look a lot longer than my stock plugs, so I haven't bought one. I ordered a dozen plugs when I bought my kit, because I knew I'd have to do plug chops. What's the max thread count, before it hits the piston?

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
I'm not a fan of adding longer reach plugs on these to gain compression, but people have done it successfully and a longer plug can remove a few ccs from the total chamber volume. The problem is knowing how much clearance you got between the plug and piston crown, but this can be figured out by putting a small piece of clay or wax on the ground electrode of the plug then installing it and Gently bringing the piston up and over TDC, then pull the plug and check that the gap didn't move, then measure the thickness of the wax, clay,plastigauge, or whatever media used to measure the distance from the piston crown.
Since I don't use this method you will need to wait for KC to reply and see how much reach you can go with or how much piston to plug clearance is safe as well as effective.

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca
i met carson palmer when he played at U.S.C. with my brothers son, nice guy back then. i'm sure he still is. funny thing is that troy polamalu was the softist talking player i ever seen, you would never know what a beast on the field he was if you didn't know him. it's good to see the card's doing good, looks like they got some stand up players. not unlike green bay.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
WOOT GO CARDNIALS!
I can't believe how bad we looked against the Rams, man they have a good defense.
One too many errors on offensive and pretty sad to loose by 2 points.

Thanks KC, I've been wondering about plugs. Which brings me to the next question.
How long can the threads on the plug be?
A stock plug is 12mm from washer to anode bottom.
An NGK is 16mm.
They won't work in a straight or milled head, but work just dandy in a stock slant head.

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Dang, I can't use em. I've got a straight head... Any recommendations? I reckon I could take my plug into one of my local shops, and pray.
If you got a some what competent parts counter person you should be able to get them to match up the plug by comparing the size and reach, then you would want to know the heat ranges for that brand and from there it would be easy to replace the plug later or be able to cross reference that plug to get the brand and heat range you want.
I've found the Autolite #275 plugs work great in the Fred heads, but if I wanted to use a Champion plug for whatever reason, it would be easy to go online and find a site that has some cross reference charts to get the one I need from a different name brand like NGK etc...

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
Dang, I can't use em. I've got a straight head... Any recommendations? I reckon I could take my plug into one of my local shops, and pray.
I'd first try one with head loose & held down with my hand while turning crank to see if it hits (some chewing gum on top of piston will tell how close it gets if it seems to clear OK).

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
I've always used clay or wax for checking this, but chewing gum is a good idea... I use a piece of solder for checking piston to head clearance since it'll squish down without damaging anything but solder is too firm to use for spark plug clearance since it could bend the electrode and throw off the reading. One of those cheap digital calipers from harbor freight works really well for measuring the flattened sample.