Things I've noticed since the motorized bicycle thing

GoldenMotor.com

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I was in my daily driver the other day, stuck in traffic, as usual, when a lady went past on a bike. It occured to me that my eyes went immediately to the frame, looking to see if there was a motor. There wasn't but then I recalled doing that other times. Since I've become involved with this hobby looking at bikes, every bike I see in fact, I check to see if it's been motorized. That's one of the things I've noticed. Another one is that I find myself being very courteous to bicyclist, Not that I was ever discourteous but now, when I'm driving my car, I will go the extra mile to give a biker all the space and time I now realize he needs to ride safely. Anyone else notice things that you do differently now that you're an MBer?
Tom

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Re: Things I've noticed since the MB thing

Big time 2Door, the "wide birth" when passing bicyclists.
Mostly when seeing a bicycle, I check to see if an engine will fit.

The other day, Calvynandhobes and I were putting a chinagirl on his bike in my garage when a 2 wheeled, 2 stroke some thing buzzed past. All work and conversation stopped as we both paused to look. Was funny, as if on cue.

Retmachinist

Oct 21, 2008
Urbandale Ia

I agree Tom, I have always given bicycles the right of way, but now I probably even give them more room than before. It is terrible out here in the West Suburbs the way people cut me off and pull out in front of me. Funny they never do it when I am driving my S.U.V.
I think what has made it worse is the fact that everyone seems to be on their cell phone and half of them don't even realize they are driving!
As far as looking for or seeing another motorized bike, the only other one I know of around here is the one I sold a while back.

John

calvynandhobbs

Aug 28, 2008
Ledyard, CT

I take notice of anything that sounds out of the normal, but I have found myself looking at bikes a lot more closely. That was funny when Dan and I stopped work to see what had just gone by.

lordoflightaz

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ

After putting my first bike together. I was talking to my brother. Turns out he has hit 3 bicycles. Never anything serious, but still. I guess this explains why I was alway nervous when riding in the car with him driving.

I tend to pay more attention to bikes, but especially the spandex crowd and the dangerous things they do.

Finfan

Aug 29, 2008
Tucson, AZ USA

I will chime in about being more aware of bicyclists. I find I also get annoyed with them for riding on the sidewalk, crosswalk, and going the wrong way down the street.

I have also lost a lot of the stress I used to feel when driving my cage. I used to always get upset about getting stopped at lights, slow moving motorists, etc. Now I just seem to have a "whatever" type attitude. I'll get there when I get there.

Finally the other week I got a mop head for my wife and discovered I had gotten the wrong one when I got home. Did I take it back to get the right one? Noooooo! I modified the mop to make it work!

scratg

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado

scratg[/QUOTE]
Finally the other week I got a mop head for my wife and discovered I had gotten the wrong one when I got home. Did I take it back to get the right one? Noooooo! I modified the mop to make it work!

Ha ha ha, Fin,
When I read the last paragraph of your post, I took it wrong. I thought, "Wow, hope his wife doesn't read that." What I read was, "I've got a mophead for a wife." Sorry, I sat here and laughed when I realized I'd read it wrong.
Tom

a_dam

Feb 21, 2009
Momence, IL

Since I was a kid, I've ridden a bike more than most people, I guess. But especially in the last 5 years. That makes you pay more attention to bikes, even kids bikes. I saw some little kid (about 8 yo) on a bike with maybe 16" wheels that had about 80 spokes each, like the low-rider bikes. I was really impressed and checking it out. You gotta hope no clueless adult sees you and mistakes you for a creep stalking the kiddies.

Since I now always carry tools and a pump, whenever I see a bike rider having trouble, I stop and offer assistance.

I don't mind if a bike rides on the sidewalk or the wrong side of the street. Whatever makes the traffic flow better/safer.

Oh, one more thing. I've always hated, but especially now, seeing anybody jump off their bike and just let it fall to the ground.

Last edited: