wheel size and speed?

GoldenMotor.com

Gator Wrestler

Jan 22, 2009
Springfield LA
This depends on the type of drive system used. A friction drive is not influenced by wheel size. A belt or chain drive system will tend to give lower top speed but more torque with a smaller wheel. This is assuming the same size is used for the other drive components. There are however other considerations; the main one being overall drive ratio. I would suggest that one immerse himself in the wealth of information to be found in these forums.

mechanickid

Aug 7, 2008
nh
a smaller wheel will make you go slower. if your going 20mph with your 26" you will go 15.10mph with a 20 inch.

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
looks like i'll probally stick with my 26" wheels.
i was asking cause i have a 18" front and 16" rear wheel with a sprocket attached,these left over from my electric bike parts.
i have a 48cc dual start starfire II grubee frame mount.
my bike will do more than 20mph but i let off the throttle at 20.
but my $10 walmart speedo could be not working right,as it felt like i was doing 30mph or so and the speedo kept resetting itself.
i think i have a 41t sprocket on back.
the bike will go up a steep hill full speed,no problems at all.

Last edited:

Mrakulous

Mar 9, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
I have 20" wheels on my 26" old schwinn frame. With the standard kit, i think I've gotten it up to 15-20 mph. I don't have a speedo, but the cars in my nieghborhood don't seem to pass me too fast. The spped limit is 25. That's my white Grand Marquis I'm not allowed to drive anymore.

Attachments

Upshifter

Dec 27, 2008
Oregon
How about taking a mountain bike with 26 inch wheels and installing 24 inch wheels? Would that be a good way to lower the bike, and lower the gear ratio for more power and less speed?

I have a Chinese Roadmaster mountain bike with 24 inch wheels, and I have another similar Chinese mountain bike with 26 inch wheels.

Of course the bike with 26 inch wheels has a larger frame too. I'd like to use the smaller wheels on it; and I'll have to modify the brakes to get them to work with the smaller wheels. But, I want a lower center of gravity, and I want a lower gear without having to change the rear sprocket. Wheel diameter will take care of that.

What do you think?

DEATH4OF4

Mar 22, 2009
Green Bay, Wisconsin (Frozen Tundra)
I Have An Old Giant Cypress St. It Has 700c Wheels (tall + Skinny) With 34 Tooth. I Got To 43mph On A Good Day. Taller Tires And Smaller Sprocket = Faster And Less Vibration, But Not Good For Slower Speeds As It Will Start To Bog Down.its Also Not Good For Off Road Of Hills... But Still Work.

gubba

Dec 29, 2008
jacksonville, florida
cabinfever.....
all 'off the shelf' speedo's (i have a $10 schwinn) will give you the speed for the following wheel sizes:
16"
20"
24"
26"
25.5"
27"
28"

there is a different code to input for each size.
the code for the 26" is 2073... this code gives me a 3 mile error on 100 measured miles. thats close to perfect.

stay dry

gubba

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
my $10 schwinn speedo from walmart only works with wheel sizes 20" and up,as i used to have it on my electric bike which had 18"frt and 16"bk wheels(i selected 20",it was close enough).now i put it on my 26" mountain bike with gas engine and selected the new code for 26",but it started to reset it self everytime i rode,so i replaced the battery and it still resets every few days.the 16" x 2.125wheel with heavy gauge spokes mite go on my bike if my stock 26" ever breaks or warps.i know it will go slower unless i put a smaller sprocket on it.and course i would have to put the 18" on the front and modify the brakes and i would have to put a shorter crank and peddal(which i already have to do anyway to clear my dual start engine.

Last edited:

lordoflightaz

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
cabinfever.....
all 'off the shelf' speedo's (i have a $10 schwinn) will give you the speed for the following wheel sizes:
16"
20"
24"
26"
25.5"
27"
28"

there is a different code to input for each size.
the code for the 26" is 2073... this code gives me a 3 mile error on 100 measured miles. thats close to perfect.

stay dry

gubba
That number is the circumfernce in millimeters of the tire inflated. You can measure this and plug in the correct number of MM.

gubba

Dec 29, 2008
jacksonville, florida
cabinfever......
many people are complaining that their speedo resets.

the reason it resets is called RF radio frequency this radio wave hits the chipset in the speedo and resets it.

i had to find a place to put the speedo where this doesn't happen. in my case on the left handlebar near the end where the clutch and brake handles mount. no more resetting.

stay dry

gubba

smittyeh

Sep 14, 2008
Has anyone experimented with the difference between very treaded 26" and a road tire? I am running 26 x 2.5" thick tread, and have been thinking of switching to a tire with less traction, more like a road tire. i could narrow the tire slightly to 2" also. lower coeffiecent of Friction, less slowing you down all the time?

anyone care to agree/disagree?

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
the mountain bike tires are a rougher ride(more vibration)and less speed.
the road tires(or cruisers tires)are smoother less vibration and faster.
but i have the mountainbike tires and get up to 32mph,but its a little rough.
im looking to get cruiser road tires.