Are these pedals worth it?

GoldenMotor.com

SilentRider

Aug 19, 2014
Massachusetts
I know you can pay a lot more or a lot less than $65 for decent pedals but has anyone tried these or other slim platform pedals? What do you think?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/PEDALS-PLATFORM-OR8-UL8-MTB-SLIMLINE-9-16-MTB-BMX-BEST-SELLER-GREY-/231487698772?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35e5bdf754

I have some nice metal platform pedals now so I don't really NEED these, but I don't mind spoiling myself if I'll enjoy some better quality pedals. For reference, these would be going on a ebike I built and have 2K into it.

GoreWound

Dec 1, 2014
Canada
take the following with a grain of salt (I also don't trust derailleurs)
I have never seen the value in "upgrade" pedals. I have tried several styles of pedal, even a pair of locking ones that connect to your shoes. as far as I can tell pedals are basically the same as each-other, unless the pair you have include some kind of stupid gimmick that renders them less useful than normal pedals.

if the expensive pedals make you happy, then by all means splurge away, but in my opinion they are not worth the money.

Last edited:

SilentRider

Aug 19, 2014
Massachusetts
Slim pedals have some advantages. It allows for more efficient pedaling by allowing you to lean back and push through the normal “dead spots” at the top and bottom of your pedal stroke. also increases ground clearance a bit for cornering.

frank66

Jan 15, 2015
canada
thick pedals kind of disgust me aswell.
there are only two levels worth buying currently. the first being the 20-25 dollar plastic pedals for bmx. they are very very good for the price.

the next level - eclat plastic or gusset aluminum. both slim

i have own all 3 and the eclat and the gusset are worth the cash. but there are a few models so besure to get the slims :)

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Aluminum BMX freestyle platform pedals. Best grip and a nice large platform for comfort.
Who CARES about pedaling efficiency? It's MOTORIZED!

frank66

Jan 15, 2015
canada
I know you can pay a lot more or a lot less than $65 for decent pedals but has anyone tried these or other slim platform pedals? What do you think?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/PEDALS-PLATFORM-OR8-UL8-MTB-SLIMLINE-9-16-MTB-BMX-BEST-SELLER-GREY-/231487698772?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35e5bdf754

I have some nice metal platform pedals now so I don't really NEED these, but I don't mind spoiling myself if I'll enjoy some better quality pedals. For reference, these would be going on a ebike I built and have 2K into it.
they look nice. i like the gunmetal finish. they fit the bill. if they slop back and forth side to side after 2 months like alot of pedals do....

do u have pictures of the bike? what model is it?

frank66

Jan 15, 2015
canada
i saw your bike. i love the frame and lack of wires! and switches and lights and heated ball warmers etc

those wellgo pedals have been popular but the plastic snafu pedals for 20 dollars are in every bike shop in multiple colours in the last few years and the welgo pedals phased out.

Last edited:

Lungcookie

Aug 15, 2013
Oregon
Seems like these pedals are about average price for a 'slim-line' style.
I liked these Origin8 pedals so much I bought a second set!:eek:
I cant say they are any better than the $35 pedals from chainreaction though.
They seem to holding up well, over 500miles on 1 set, still snug, no play.
They are rather wide but that's why I started to use them, the pedals I ran before these were hurting my feet because they were so narrow.
Super grippy, if you put a knee or leg to the pedal in anger expect some damage.

Dec 11, 2014
Tucson
I worked at Fair Wheel Bikes for 4 years so expensive is a matter of perspective. We worked with cutting-edge parts and technology which comes at a price. If something like that is worth it to YOU for your application it is money well spent. My in laws seem to think they have a way to take it with them but I don't. Enjoy ha ha.