Pirate cycle hub adapter slipage

GoldenMotor.com

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
50 foot pounds will surely break something. Either the adapter, the hub or the threads.
I wouldn't go over the recommended 60 to 80 inch pounds.
When you bought the adapters was there not any instructions that came with them with torque values?

Tom

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
50 foot pounds will surely break something. Either the adapter, the hub or the threads.
I wouldn't go over the recommended 60 to 80 inch pounds.
When you bought the adapters was there not any instructions that came with them with torque values?

Tom
Tom, I'm not sure you realize how big these bolts are.

I think I may have got to the bottom of this. I just redid the whole thing.

First I loosened the sprocket bolts, and then the adapter bolts.

Then I tightened the adapter bolts like I usually do, but this time, after that I put a torque wrench to it set to 20 ft lbs. It tightened a lot more after that before getting to 20 ft lb. I must have only been tightening it to about 15 or 16 ft lbs. That's not very much for bolts this size. Then I tightened the sprocket bolts.

I bet it won't slip now. It's a lot tighter than I've ever had it before. I better redo the Atomic BB.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I was only guessing at the size of your fasteners. I've seen one sprocket adapter installed, don't know the brand but it looked to have something in the 6 to 8mm range for bolts.
I hope you've found the problem and get that good looking beast back on the road with no further problems. Let us know how it goes.

Tom

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Alright I've ridden enough miles to now to say with confidence, it's not slipping. Torquing the 2 bolts on the hub adapter to 20 ft lbs did the trick.

My problem was from using too small a wrench. A 6" ratchet wrench isn't big enough unless you're a gorilla breaking wind.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Great news. Now all you need is for summer to come back so you can ride.
Winter set in here, big time. Snow and cold. No riding for this old man for a few days, at least until the ice is off the streets.
Thanks for the follow up report.

Tom

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Great news. Now all you need is for summer to come back so you can ride.
Winter set in here, big time. Snow and cold. No riding for this old man for a few days, at least until the ice is off the streets.
Thanks for the follow up report.

Tom
I wish you could keep your cold weather to yourself. It's coming here this afternoon lol.

larry57

Mar 20, 2012
st james ctiy ,fl
Does anyone have a good idea how to better lock a pirate cycle hub adapter onto the hub? All of mine tend to slip on the hub, and end up against the spokes no matter how tight I tighten it.
well, i have a pirate adapter ,,mine hasn't slipped YET but if it does ,,i'm going for a THIN COAT of gorilla glue leave it over night ,,my frist carb set -up with that dumb z shaped manifold ,,carb popped right off the manifold ,,gorrilla glue fixed that so try it ,,VERY THIN COAT ,,finely got a real manifold a carb ,,got rid of the junk ,,put a pirate hi-comp head on my gt-5 ,,i now have a smoooooth gas bike ,,,got to put a front disc on ,,,its dangerous ,,with just a coaster brake .HAPPY MOTORING dance1

the chief

Dec 9, 2012
chicago
have had this problem before, adapter just wasn't tight enough, get the allen heads for a ratchete wrench, sometimes its hard to tighten with a regular allen wrench as the spokes get in the way, a ratcheting wrench will solve this.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
The ideal thing would be if Pirate would include torque specs with their adapters. I mean how hard would it be to drop a little sheet of paper in each box?

Tom

Last edited:

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I was having a problem with slipping, but not anymore after I torqued the bolts to 20 ft lb.