re-jet now or wait

GoldenMotor.com

commuter

Oct 3, 2008
My ride: 66 with NT carb
I have roughly 600 miles on my bike, keep the oil/gas ratio a lil high because of it being a bushing, nonbearing motor. 20:1

It has always ran boggy in the idle to 3/4 throttle range regardless of needle height. Didn't really matter as when it was WOT, it screamed like a banshee. Since the majority of my commute is basically down one really long road with no stop signs it was WOT or close to it, so not a prob.

I had last week off work so I had time to tinker with bike. I assumed the boggy on low end was due to air leak so checked and sure enough had a leak at carb to intake joint. Fixed leak, took test rides and plug chops at different needle positions, and now my low end is spot on. Only problem now is WOT is a dog. My main jet is too large and bogging out motor.

I have an expansion chamber from a kx65 I'm going to adapt to motor, was going to do it this week at work.

Do I go ahead and rejet now or wait and see how much difference the new exhaust will make? Ive heard both, that it will lean it out and that it will richen it up.

k.mah

Nov 22, 2012
oceanside,ca
IMO...Wait.
I made the mistake of jumping in too soon before I did my expansion chamber and everything else and ended up spending extra $ to get all new jets after the fact.

commuter

Oct 3, 2008
My problem is I'm a results kind of person. If I rejet first then I will know how much difference the chamber makes. If I wait to do it after then I won't beable to tweak exhaust for best results. I am going smaller so solder and drill, can't really see that ending up more costly in the long run

k.mah

Nov 22, 2012
oceanside,ca
We are one in the same when it comes to that. And i did exactly what you are saying you want to do....Hopefully yours turns out better than mine! Just have $20 set aside for new jets (just incase) :)