Flame thrower

GoldenMotor.com

Mightyboosh

Apr 28, 2012
College Station, TX
I want to give this a try. My idea is to come out of the CDI with spark plug wire to a switch, and from the switch two sp wires one to the engine and one to a spark plug in the end of the muffler.
I think im going to have to make the switch. I dont think the switch needs to be too complicated. something that is normally closed and i can press the button and it bumps the conductor to the other spark plug.

Anyone know what this kind of button is called? or am i talking nonsense.
p.s. I can accept blowing a old motor in the name fun with fire.

locell

Jan 16, 2010
mesa
I want to give this a try. My idea is to come out of the CDI with spark plug wire to a switch, and from the switch two sp wires one to the engine and one to a spark plug in the end of the muffler.
I think im going to have to make the switch. I dont think the switch needs to be too complicated. something that is normally closed and i can press the button and it bumps the conductor to the other spark plug.

are you thinking of something like a horn button? I've seen those labeled as "momentary switches"

leaded50

Oct 29, 2011
Norway
...and here locell is quite near the optimal idea! Put in a pump who could spray into the end of the exhaust pipe, trough a near flat pressed tube, or as used in procars, a injection nozzle. Use a diesel glowplug to fire it up! But all this need some electrical.......

No raw gas extra in cylinder,no ignition changes, and the engine running giving the exhaust pressure to "throw the flames out" the exhaust pipe, without backfire.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
This is just a hunch (and I'm not really TRYING to be a stick in the mud) but something tells me that if one of us actually gets a flamethrower working on his motorbike, it'll become so problematic that the novelty will wear off real quick. Just to make one semi-reliable could prove costly, not to mention the unwanted (law-enforcement) attention it's likely to attract.

Greybeard

Feb 8, 2011
Sequim WA
When I said "
BTW. I've never heard of any type of engine problems associated with flamethrowers, but a few mufflers have suffered."
yes, there have been engine troubles related to this type of flame thrower.
when you use it, you're washing the cylinder(s) down with raw gas which washes oil away.
why is it that whenever someone posts something about a problem, there's always someone who has to come back and say "no, you're wrong!"
Yep, you are so right. There is always somebody telling us that we're wrong and giving anecdotal evidence about some "friend" that had a problem.

If used with common sense, the chances are slim that your 4 stroke engine will suffer damage, and virtually no chance a two stroke would be damaged no matter how you use it. Looking at u-tube vids of flamethrowers I see people that are probably pulling out the choke to increase the amount of fuel in the system. The flames that are short and white, or blue white are made with a proper mixture. The big, lazy, yellow flames are done by adding additional fuel, and if that is done by pulling out the choke and pumping the throttle, you are indeed washing the cylinder walls down, and common sense says that aint good.
I built my first one years before dragray was born, and drove that old car to school for 3 years before I replaced it.

There are dozens of manufacturors of flamethrower kits. The street rod industry is huge, as is the sharing of information. They couldn'd survive as vendors if their products were known to cause engine failures.

Last edited:

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana

There is no standard or normal type switch that will do what you want. The high voltage will just arc thru the switch when it's open.

You might be able to fab a knife type switch to do that.

There is a special switch that is made to do that though. They were produced for the experimental aircraft guys. They sometimes convert auto engines for their planes, and they used this high tension switch to enable them to have a second ignition coil for backup , with only one set of plugs and one distributor.

Last edited:

Mightyboosh

Apr 28, 2012
College Station, TX
There is no standard or normal type switch that will do what you want. The high voltage will just arc thru the switch when it's open.

You might be able to fab a knife type switch to do that.

There is a special switch that is made to do that though. They were produced for the experimental aircraft guys. They sometimes convert auto engines for their planes, and they used this high tension switch to enable them to have a second ignition coil for backup , with only one set of plugs and one distributor.
Yep you hit it on the head. I had it all together, took off down the road popped the clutch and i had arcing all over the switch. I bought a switch from radio shack, the biggest one they had. A toggle ON--OFF--ON. The power was too much. Im thinking another CDI is needed and I need to have the switch between the engine and the two CDI's. The CDI is what steps up the current right? I think the switch will be able to handle the current coming form the engine.

I think the best set-up would be to have a CDI with a switch in it. If anyone knows anything about that id like to hear about it.

Sep 4, 2009
Texas
I know a buddy of mine used to turn the key off on his car for about 2 seconds and when it turned back on it made a huge BOOM! I imagine if you were to get goin 30 MPH and held the kill switch when it fired back up would likely do the same thing...I'm between builds so I can't test this.

Mightyboosh

Apr 28, 2012
College Station, TX
I know a buddy of mine used to turn the key off on his car for about 2 seconds and when it turned back on it made a huge BOOM! I imagine if you were to get goin 30 MPH and held the kill switch when it fired back up would likely do the same thing...I'm between builds so I can't test this.
I think this will cause ignition to high in the exhaust pipe.

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
I know looks like a third grader drew this, but is this what you are talking about when you say knife button? where can I find copper sheets at?
A knife switch is just a short piece of bar copper, with an insulated handle on the end, attached to a terminal bracket with one screw that it pivots on. the contact is just 2 pieces of copper mounted together with another terminal conection, and when you close the switch it knifes between them to make contact.
Look at an older type fuse box or electrial disconnect for 110-220 power, to get the details.

locell

Jan 16, 2010
mesa
was this a mid 80's model subaru by chance?

Sep 4, 2009
Texas
was this a mid 80's model subaru by chance?
Nope it was like a 60 something Mustang convertable I think it was back in the early 70's. Funny you should mention 80's Suburu I had a wagon replaced the tranny engine pretty much everything over the years I had it man was that a tough car!

locell

Jan 16, 2010
mesa
Nope it was like a 60 something Mustang convertable I think it was back in the early 70's. Funny you should mention 80's Suburu I had a wagon replaced the tranny engine pretty much everything over the years I had it man was that a tough car!
ya those things are solid, i had a friend that would turn off the key, pump the gas a few time, turn the key back on and BOOM it was louder than a pistol shot. I thought that was an exclusive feature to the 1985 Subaru GL, now i know better