thinking of getting a predator

GoldenMotor.com

Skarrd

Oct 13, 2010
Chandler, AZ
so i'm thinking of switching to a 4 stroke predator motor rather than the china girl i have been running.

i know there's a hand full of gearboxes available for 4 strokes. but i'm a little curious about what will be compatible with the 99cc predator.

i'm thinking of a 4g t-belt trans going into a shift kit. but i don't know what the bolt pattern is on either the predator or the 4g trans.

even if it's something where it's off by a small amount i could just re-drill the trans for the new bolts.

Skarrd

Oct 13, 2010
Chandler, AZ
a cvt would be nice. the only ones i'm finding are made for a 3/4" bore on the driver side.

maybe i'm not looking in the right areas.

Skarrd

Oct 13, 2010
Chandler, AZ
all CVT with a 5/8s driver have went the way of the dinosaur
still are some NOS that pop on evilbay but that's pretty rare.
Best bet is to use a adapter bushing
http://www.gsistore.com/5idx3odshadb1.html
sweet, thanks for the link.

so i've narrowed down two options.

agk's jackshaft http://www.affordablegokarts.com/mm...e_Code=A&Product_Code=2600&Category_Code=99cc and clutch http://www.affordablegokarts.com/mm...e_Code=A&Product_Code=2400&Category_Code=99cc

or a CVT http://www.bulletlines.com/go-kart-torque-converter-p/52.htm?Click=746 with the 3/4" adapter http://www.gsistore.com/5idx3odshadb1.html

waiting to hear back from agk. emailed them because they have two jack shafts, the HF 99cc one for $140. or a general one for $99, emailed asking what is different between the two.

Ibedayank

Oct 29, 2011
Columbia Tennessee
Torque Converter #41 3/4" Bore (473441-30)
Price:$195.95

price off bmi's website

I normally look for what I want then check evilbay for a cheaper price with free shipping.
Be surprized how much $$$ you can save doing that

jowens

Jul 25, 2011
Webster Fl
Torque Converter #41 3/4" Bore (473441-30)
Price:$195.95

price off bmi's website

I normally look for what I want then check evilbay for a cheaper price with free shipping.
Be surprized how much $$$ you can save doing that
Yank,
would the engagement speed of 2350 be too high for the Predator engine? Shouldnt the clutch engage around 1800?

Ibedayank

Oct 29, 2011
Columbia Tennessee
Yank,
would the engagement speed of 2350 be too high for the Predator engine? Shouldnt the clutch engage around 1800?
IMHO i doubt it. still gives 1250 rpm of useable power band if you do not pull the gov. out of the motor. Now if it engages at a lower rpm then the motor idles at it won't have a "neutral" the max tourqe centrifical clutches rpm engagement ranges from 1800rpm to 3200rpm

Skarrd

Oct 13, 2010
Chandler, AZ
IMHO i doubt it. still gives 1250 rpm of useable power band if you do not pull the gov. out of the motor. Now if it engages at a lower rpm then the motor idles at it won't have a "neutral" the max tourqe centrifical clutches rpm engagement ranges from 1800rpm to 3200rpm
planning on pulling the gov anyway, plus if i remember, the clutches were adjustable (at least a little bit)

i got the engine and the CVT + adapter ordered. hope everything gets here soon.

jowens

Jul 25, 2011
Webster Fl
planning on pulling the gov anyway, plus if i remember, the clutches were adjustable (at least a little bit)

i got the engine and the CVT + adapter ordered. hope everything gets here soon.
Skarrd,
From what Ive seen the CVT's have the drive sprocket inside the covered part of the tranny and not shafted out twards the midline of the bike after its mounted. How do you plan to get the chain to line up with the sprocket on the rear wheel?

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
I believe the 129 bux with shipping Ebay one in the link in post # 7, has the sprocket on the outside, on the same side as the engine.

Skarrd

Oct 13, 2010
Chandler, AZ
Skarrd,
From what Ive seen the CVT's have the drive sprocket inside the covered part of the tranny and not shafted out twards the midline of the bike after its mounted. How do you plan to get the chain to line up with the sprocket on the rear wheel?
I believe the 129 bux with shipping Ebay one in the link in post # 7, has the sprocket on the outside, on the same side as the engine.
good thing i'm running it into the SBP shift kit for a 4 stroke. ;) granted i'm probably not going to be doing much shifting with running the cvt though :p

Ibedayank

Oct 29, 2011
Columbia Tennessee
the cvt its self changes "gears" has a gear ratio of 18-1 to 6-1
the chance of a freewheel gear set not being damaged is pretty slim imho...
look at scotto's build it uses a 212 pred and uses a cvt also magrider has a similar build

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
good thing i'm running it into the SBP shift kit for a 4 stroke. ;) granted i'm probably not going to be doing much shifting with running the cvt though :p
I don't think you will have a useable total drive train ratio if you try to go thru the shift kit.
You will need a rather large sprocket as it is, just to drive direct to the rear wheel. Better do the math before you commit to the idea.

Skarrd

Oct 13, 2010
Chandler, AZ
I don't think you will have a useable total drive train ratio if you try to go thru the shift kit.
You will need a rather large sprocket as it is, just to drive direct to the rear wheel. Better do the math before you commit to the idea.
already did..

cvt has a 10t going to a 17t, then a 10t going to a 445 a 32t going to the cassette which i can change gears to suit what the situation needs.

i'll need to see what the ratio ended up being but it was something like 20:1 down to 6:1