New guy here

GoldenMotor.com

bigvig

Oct 2, 2011
Maine
Hey everyone. First, GREAT site! A wealth of information and knowledgeable people. Great place. Ive been lurking here for a few months now trying to get as much info as possible. I dont know much about board trackers except Ive always loved them.

Ive built a few bikes in my day and been riding for about 25 years. Last bike I built was in 1997 and it was a '73 Shovelhead bobber. Springer front end with no fender, 21x2.5 front tire and 16x4 out back (both on spokers), solo seat, bobbed rear fender, drag bars, 93inch stroker with kick start only and jockey shift, no blinkers, etc. A real screamer. Im an old-school guy and love minimalistic bikes. If it doesnt make them go faster or stop quicker, I dont need/want it.

I sold my '73 in 2000 when I quit my job moved with my then girlfriend (now wife) and was basically going to have a go at being a self-employed artist (still doing it so it turned out OK). Ive been riding a '76 Honda XL125 dirt bike for fun since, but been itching to get back on the street.

So, about 2002/03 I saw a board track racer in town and that REALLY got me hooked and wanting to build one. About 3 years ago I said I was going to soon....., and about April this year I decided that as soon as I had the time to do it I was going to. Well, this winter Ill start on her (Im basically starting now with this post here). You know how it goes, if you dont do it NOW, you probably wont. This has been a LONG time coming for me and Im really excited.

Im VERY mechanically inclined and if I had a jig (or the know-how) Id build the frame but I dont and since Ive never built a frame Im probably going to have to buy one (unless I can find a "kit" frame and weld it together myself). Ive been looking at a lot of bikes and I know where I want to go with this so here's a rundown of things Im not 100% sure about concerning board trackers, what Id like to do and if Im talking about a "motorcycle" or "board track racer":

Id like to basically have a small, stripped-down motorcycle with head & taillights so I can run any time. Transmission....maybe if its period correct/feasible because Id like to ride in/with traffic regardless (jockey shift?). I REALLY want to keep it period correct though, so if that means bicycle with motor, Ill do that. I like the drop frames and the style of the 1919 Indian Daytona and the 1916 Excelsior.

Now, Ive seen some really nice modern bikes too on this forum that are really nice, so depending on costs, period correctness, etc., I might just have a go at something similar. Only thing is, I want a motorcycle, not a bicycle with a motor. If I can build something on a bicycle frame, small motor with no tranny that stays with traffic safely at 60+ mph and put lights on it, Ill do it.

So, thats my intro! Im sure Ill be posting lots more once I start looking at the advice I get (which HOPEFULLY there will be LOTS of because ANY and ALL is MORE than welcome and encouraged!!!!) and start buying/building parts.

Last edited:

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
welcome Bigvig... always good to have new builders in board... and being an artist im sure you can bring some unique touches to this forum.

If you want to buy a ready made frame i think you cant go wrong with a "Sportsmanpat" or "Helmutt" frame..... both builders are regulars here and they make top notch bikes and parts.

60+mph is very very very very fast on a bicycle, and probably not acheivable without a BIG engine and tyres that can handle that sort of speeds or a BIG set of balls.... or both!

cobrafreak

Feb 16, 2011
sacramento ca
Welcome! 60 mph is possible. Very possible. Looking forward with what you come up with. Everyone borrows ideas from everyone else so we need some new blood :)