Robin Subaru 35cc exhaust question.

GoldenMotor.com

Jhammer

May 8, 2010
Greater Toronto Area
Hey,

I'm looking at buying a robin Subaru 35 from Staton Inc. I've been reading reviews and the main complaint seems to be the exhaust. Hearing a lot of people say it is very loud. Was wondering if any one on the forum has this problem.

I did some research.

http://www.robinamerica.com/media/manuals/128547523386571250.pdf

I have been looking thru the schematics and it seems that the motor exhaust is bolted on with the standard oval shape. I was wondering if anyone had ever changed the exhaust set up, from a weedwaker noise box to a more bike style exhaust. And if not if someone who has one of these motors could tell me if that flange is correct and will fitt a different exhaust.

J

happyvalley

Jul 24, 2008
upper Pioneer Valley
As to reviews, I'm surprised because every one I have ever seen talks about how quiet these engines are.

The EHO35 exhaust note is one of the lowest of any small engines I've heard with the stock muffler. I have a hand held DB meter and checking from the seat on a stationary bike up through 5-6K rpms it is considerably lower than the comparatively quiet Mitsubishi TLE43 and about half that of a 49cc Chinese 2 stroke.

The exhaust flange is a standard looking 2 bolt port off the cylinder but what after market or replacement pipe might be usable I cannot say. I like my bikes quiet also and the stock muffler proves adequate. I have experimented with adding 12" of silicon tubing or even common black heater hose to the nipple on the muffler and it does knock down a few DB off the exhaust note though the stock muffler is sufficiently quiet already that whether it's worth it is debatable. (note: I remove the muffler spark screen when adding hose)

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Oh yeah.

The exhaust sound from the Robin is very mild. Way less than a 2 stroke. Also has a much more pleasant tone.

moonshiner

Apr 23, 2011
tennessee
you can easily talk over mine at idle , and its only a little louder at full throttle , a very quiet engine on the scale of things ... cvlt1

gobigkahuna

Apr 25, 2011
E NC
I've only put a couple hours on my EH035 and although it's a bit louder than I expected, it's by no means annoyingly so. I'm guessing you're looking at the friction drive kit? If so, mine went together very easily. I've since decided to go electric, so if you're interested, mine's on the market (see my signature).

Jhammer

May 8, 2010
Greater Toronto Area
Thank you all for the rapid response.

I really like this engine tho. It disappoints me as I'm doing a chopper for my build and it looks not much like a bikemotor. Think I may fab a muffler purely for style purposes. As far as the tank has anyone not using an attached tank? Has anyone hooked it up to a teardrop. Because as I said before not aesthetically pleasing.

J

gobigkahuna

Apr 25, 2011
E NC
I asked about other tank options a while back. The fuel supply uses two lines (fuel and return) so you'd have to modify a tear drop tank to work, but it should be possible. I considered pulling off the yellow plastic housing to make it look more "motor-ish" but then learned that cylinder head gets pretty hot so decided to leave it on. Post a photo when you're done. :)

johnpeter

Jun 13, 2011
SoCal, Los Alamitos
The yellow cover directs air blown from the finned flywheel onto the cylinder and its head.

To put a fine point it. There is no removable head on Robin-Subaru engines as it is cast as one... upper crankcase, cylinder and head all one piece. This is a very good thing for many reasons. No oil weeping leaks, little warpage, lite weight, strong, etc.

In-joy!

gobigkahuna

Apr 25, 2011
E NC
The yellow cover directs air blown from the finned flywheel onto the cylinder and its head.
This came up before, and although I haven't tried it, someone else reported that it works fine since the motor will normally be moving when it is used anyways.

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
In a frame mount, the motor will get air.

If it's mounted behind you, not so much.

I'm leaving my shroud on. After a ride I hold my hand there and there is a lot of hot air coming out. I usually let it idle a bit to cool down before I turn it off.

Can't believe you are selling that so soon Big K, I love mine - :)

gobigkahuna

Apr 25, 2011
E NC
I'm not selling it because of that, I like it and it works great. I just enjoy being on bike paths instead of sharing the road with cars. Probably started when I got hit by a car and then witnessed a couple (fatal) car vs bike accidents. Didn't realize how spooked I still am about it until I started spending all my time on the road. The Subaru + Staton FD is an awesome combination and even though I'm switching to pedal or pedal + electric, I still highly recommend it.

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Ah, got ya. You can electric on the bike path eh?

That's cool. Ebikes have come a long way. I like the front hub direct drives.

gobigkahuna

Apr 25, 2011
E NC
Yup, electric bikes are considered bicycles in North Carolina. So I can ride them on bike paths and wear a bicycle helmet, all legal here. Wish I knew that 3 weeks ago! ;)

Jhammer

May 8, 2010
Greater Toronto Area
Well I'll be loosing mine as it's an inframe mount. Yes I'll post I link here when I start the build in the chopper forum. Thanks for your advice. Does anyone know how much electricity the motor generates ?

Last edited:

grunt

Oct 16, 2011
NORTHWEST MONTANA
I've only put a couple hours on my EH035 and although it's a bit louder than I expected, it's by no means annoyingly so. I'm guessing you're looking at the friction drive kit? If so, mine went together very easily. I've since decided to go electric, so if you're interested, mine's on the market (see my signature).
howdy bigkahuna, i'm interested in your motor, any idea what you want for it offhand? thanks, grunt

grunt

Oct 16, 2011
NORTHWEST MONTANA
Howdy kahuna, i'm new to this forum so i hope you get this, i am interested in your motor and you can contact me at my email address or through this forum. Thanks in advance, grunt