Top two or three 4 stroke kits that come with all the hardware needed

GoldenMotor.com

Tifford

Apr 23, 2011
ny
I am mechanically inclined (I built a car that I drive) and I am looking to order a motorized bicycle kit. While I don't mind going and getting parts if I know what I am looking for, I'd rather order something from someone who has been there and done that.

Here is what I am looking for

1. 50cc: I have a motorcycle endorsement but would rather not wire up lights and all of that. We also have cops every 100 yards here in NY so I need to be legal. I need 50cc because I am 240 lbs.

2. a 4 stroke: I would like to be able just gas and go.

3. A kit that comes with either most or all of the needed parts. I wouldn't mind searching for a few parts as long as I know exactly what I am looking for.

4. For it to be reliable. Nothing more frustrating than breaking down on the way to work.

5. Good to great MPG. I have a car that gets 40mpg and a motorcycle that gets 45mpg. I am doing this before gas goes to 6 dollars a gallon.

6. I would like to be able to pedal while the motor is running

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Howdy Tifford, welcome. My personal preference for a 4 smoke is the Honda. Would check out 4-Stroke Engine Kits but there are many great dealers. (Not seeing a complete Honda kit on their site any more, hmm) I agree on the "gas & go" thing. The 2 strokes are smaller, lighter and better looking. Far easier to pedal just due to the engine allowing you to keep regular, bicycle sized cranks. But do draw more attention due to the sound. They are cheaper and more problematic. As your handy, might be a good way to get your feet wet as it were. Both come with every thing you need to get ridding. Just my thoughts on em. They are all crazy addicting and you might end up building a few. (Some times for your self as friends and neighbors will be asking)

I really, really suggest looking around here. Some amazing builders. Like any thing there are vastly differing opinions on just about every thing but lots of information to be had.

flex man

Feb 24, 2011
Woodland Hills Ca.
Hi
I think 4 stroke for sure . So you can gas up anyware and you dont have to carry oil.
as for something reliable I would go with a Q Matic. Cant beat the reliability
and gas milage . There are many great dealers on this forum ..Terry Blow
Jbcruisin .look around Azbill there are a bunch I am one also .You will need to get a few things .3 piece crank..is about it. But the little more you spend now is totally worth it. In the long run you'll save money and alot of frustration..
These kits are bullet proof . There are many satisfied customers . not like some other brands I wont mention... Just an opinion take it for what it's worth....
I am sure there are people who will probally dispute everything I have said...
I am not against 2 Smokes As I Just ordered a morini Boxer from Terry Bolw
Drop shipper extrodenair I pick it up on 4-26..I cant sleep thinking about it. Thanks Terry.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zy71vGcYaQY Also if your not into building
Terry can build to to your specs.as well as alot of Q Matic dealers me included can build anything you want...........Also I have a shifter that I can install on Your Q Matic if you want gears.....

Last edited:

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
Hi Tifford
I am pretty sure that motorized bikes are illegal in NY
Check the Laws forum below. Some guys are doing it and flying
under the radar but just want you to have the facts before you buy a kit.

Hi
I am not against 2 Smokes As I Just ordered a morini Boxer from Terry Bolw
Drop shipper extrodenair I pick it up on 4-26..I cant sleep thinking about it...............Thanks Terry.........
Are you bringing that Morini to the Willow Springs race on June 18th?
Hope to see you there.

Tifford

Apr 23, 2011
ny
BiMoPed,

You are right!! Motorized bikes are illegal here in the not so great state of NY.

Go figure, the hard working man who is trying to save money is stopped by the govt and those making 200,000 a year or more.

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
BiMoPed,

You are right!! Motorized bikes are illegal here in the not so great state of NY.

Go figure, the hard working man who is trying to save money is stopped by the govt and those making 200,000 a year or more.
So, what are you going to do?
I think at least one guy got a motorized bike registered as a moped? motorcycle?
Lot of trouble to go through.......

flex man

Feb 24, 2011
Woodland Hills Ca.
Hey Bio
I did not read up on N.Y. Are electric in the same catigory? I thought I heard of guys ridding electric. Read some artical about electric bike sales going up in one guys shop. Could have been BS so the guy could sell more bikes..

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Not suggesting any thing here but before knowing they were illegal in NY, I rode around Poughkeepsie for 2 days and waved at every cop I saw. Normally got the NY/North East cop reaction of "Wut, over here" sort of look.

But be sure and look up the DMV web site. Laws here in CT changed drastically and I didn't know it for 2 yrs. Went from 50cc and 30 MPH to 5HP with only street speed limits. But no matter how big an engine I put on a bicycle, they mostly just wave back.

In no way suggesting you break the law, but do know it. Even very well intentioned folks might post some thing believing it to be true.