removing bearing cups on Micargi

GoldenMotor.com

turbojoe

Mar 30, 2011
Little Rock,AR
Anyone familiar with removing the bearing cups from Micargi bottom bracket? I'm replacing the crank with 3 piece from the SBP shift kit. I can't get the bottom bracket adapter in till I get these off. Do they screw off, or do I just hammer the crap out of them?

Attachments

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Just knock them out from the back side with a hammer and drift punch. They are simply press fit into the frame.

timboellner

Apr 1, 2009
Towson Maryland
They aren't threaded. They are pressed in.
Take a wooden dowel or something long enough to reach into the bottom bracket and push them out from the far side.
Use a mallet or hammer on the dowel
Work your way around the circle a little at a time.
They will work their way out. Don't try to pry them out.
You don't want to get that BB out of round or it's toast.

If the frame tubes protrude into the bottom bracket you may need to get in there and file or dremel them out of the way for the new one to fit.

It's not too tough..

TiM

turbojoe

Mar 30, 2011
Little Rock,AR
Thanks guys, I got them out. Now my question is the bb adapter suppose
to be pressed in too or is it suppose to just slide in? I got the adapter from
Sick Bike Parts. As it is right now, it won't slide in. I could probably hammer
it in but I want to be sure before I do that.

timboellner

Apr 1, 2009
Towson Maryland
I don't think I'd hammer them in.

If they are the ones that I have with the 3 allen head bolts, you'll need to rotate them to get the holes to line up on the other side.

Depending on how tight they are I would use some sandpaper and clean out the bottom bracket till you can slide them in.
Removing the paint will probably be enough.

WD-40 wouldn't hurt either.
Don't bugger them up ..
Call Jim at sick bikes if you need to.. He is very helpful and will steer you through if need be.

TiM

Damraider

Mar 12, 2011
hayward
Use a rubber hammer or a block of wood to get the side in that has the counterbored screws . Then put the screws through and pull the other side in with the screws and light tapping . That way the screws are lined up nice . I just did this to my Dyno and it worked slick .

Steve