Sidecar?

GoldenMotor.com

Bike Monster

Jun 4, 2010
Conneticut
I was thinking of making a wooden sidecar for my army bike project... I dont have access to a welder so i need something that can be made with out one...,

Last edited:

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
You can pick up a cheapo new stick welder for under a 100 usually at HarborFreight or Jacks tool shed.
Cheers

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Bike Monster, like Chainmaker said or use angle iron and bolt it together.
Look up "Art of the custom sidecar" site and at the bottom you will see a sidecar build by Steve Bodiley. He has a cad drawing and an exellent write up of how he did it.

My thought is that following what he did you should be able to do a bolt together frame using either locktite or nylon locking nuts on the bolts. That would have been my plan except for the fact we are lucky enough to have a welder.

Welcome to the sidecar world.

Steve.

mmmmudd

Dec 31, 2010
california
Some great links here! A friend and I experimented with some bmx hacks back in the 80's we got a couple to work alright, and in the process learned a LOT about frame geometry. I've seen a lot of bicycle sidecars that just bolt onto the rear of the frame, and i guess they're okay but the frame isn't very strong back there, especially when being jerked side to side. If ya look at the any of the bmx builds the main means of support is through the bikes' headstock. The original bike frame is meant to be strong uppy-down, and with the side hack its gonna get yanked from side to side.

Something else to consider is that with a side hack the steering is more like a quad or ATV. . . the first thirty feet I ever rode on a bike side hack ended in a ditch, it's very very counter intuitive at first.

Hope this helps, I'd love to see where ya go with this.
Mudd

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Bobby, there are a lot of problems with that, that I can see. The first is the cost. All you need is a frame attached to the bike with a wheel on it.
The trike frame would have to have the sprocket removed and the top braces removed so you can mount the sidecar lower to the ground. Then you need to weld a frame to the trike frame so that you can mount the sidecar and hook it up to the bike.

If you look at the other sidecar thread you will see how I built mine. The next one I will use angle iron but the square tubing was at the house and free so I used it. Old bed frames would be a good source and free if you get lucky or cheap at the Goodwill store.. Bolting it together using nylon lock nuts if you don't have a welder would work.

My next body will be made using 1/4 inch luan plywood since it is cheap, bendable and light. You may have to pedal it some day. Plywood base and a 2X4 frame to give the sidecar shape. You can build a very nice sidecar with simple hand tools and basic power tools like a saber saw.

My thoughts are that you can put a finish on it many ways. Stain the wood with a stain colour you like and 6-10 coats of water based, gloss spar varnish with a foam brush. Three coats and then sand it with 400 wet or dry paper. Your choice of wet or dry. Lightly sand every coat after that just to knock down the nibs and provide a tooth for the next coat. I'd use the paper dry.
Next to last coat I'd sand it until it is dead flat with little or no shiney spots. The last coat should come out dead smooth and shiney. Wait a couple of months in warm weather and buff it to a blinding shine if you wish.
Hey, I restored antique furniture for 43 years. I make it soud easy and it is..

The next is glue canvas to it using wood glue and then paint it. Gives a nice textured finish. Apply the glue with a 3-4 inch, short haired, roller. Gives a nice even coat that way.

Last is find some very thin sheetmetal and cut and prefit the panels to the sidecar and then glue the panels to the sidecar with contact cement with the roller. When dry, paint your colour.

I'm thinking about making a video but then I'd have to clean up the work shop and that would take a while.

Steve.

Last edited: