spark plug size hueseng engine?

GoldenMotor.com

andrewflores17

Jul 12, 2010
colorado springs, CO
anyone got the compatiable spark plug number laying around went into checkers today and they cant find one that will fit it and maybe the proper gapping i searched the forums could only find stuff for 2 strokes

also what would you guys recomend put iridum ones in my truck they worked good dnut

andrewflores17

Jul 12, 2010
colorado springs, CO
thought id type them up for the sake of conveince
ngk iridum plug cr7hix
ngk regular cr6h7
denso iuf22
champion 29y

thanx 2door that website had all the info i got a plug from dax for my bike but realy wanted a iridum one put them in my truck expensive but they did help out (5.7l v8 25 mpg is my record silverado 1990 )

i love this site thanx again zpt

Don P

Sep 1, 2010
indiana
Hi all this is my first post. first let me say this first . i am a trained auto mechanic with 25 + years of experience and 20+ years of drag racing so i can read a spark plug.

the stock plug that comes with my engines is Torch A5rtc. after putting 2 to 3 hundred miles on my motor i pulled the spark plug and took a look. to my horror i seen that this plug is to hot for this engine.

the ground electrode on the plug was getting to hot all the way back to base of the plug.
and on the porcelain i seen aluminum specs. if i was to keep running this plug piston will get a hole in it over time.

so i went on the hunt for a proper plug for these engines.

i tested the NGK cr5hsb that is recommended on this forum it is a cross to the a5rtc it also is to hot and i seen specs of aluminum on the porcelain after only 10 miles,
so i need a colder plug.

NGK cr6hsb is the next coldest plug but no one had one here, it would need to be ordered.
so we crossed that plug to a champion z9y it is a copper plug. this is the same plug Honda uses on it 50cc 70cc 100cc 125cc ect 4 stroke motorcycles.

I ran the champion z9y for 125 miles and the finding are. the heat-range is just right no specs of aluminum on the porcelain the electrode is showing it is in the right heat range and i picked up 2 miles per hour on top end my gas mileage has jumped 8 miles per gallon

the champion z9y is the spark plug i am going to run.

NGK cr6hsb will probable preform the same, i may get one and test it

Happy motor bicycling !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
I've been running the Iridium NGK CR7HIX for the last 1,000miles in my HS and it performs flawlessly. That's what I'll be using from now on....check your local lawnmower shop. Cheers.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I've been running the Iridium NGK CR7HIX for the last 1,000miles in my HS and it performs flawlessly. That's what I'll be using from now on....check your local lawnmower shop. Cheers.

Did you notice any difference in power with the iridium plug. I know when I put one in my 2 stroke I could tell a difference.
SB

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Did you notice any difference in power with the iridium plug. I know when I put one in my 2 stroke I could tell a difference.
SB
Just slightly, it seems to pull stronger than ever and starts with one or two pulls no matter what. It's def my plug of choice for this engine....I run them in my 2-strokes too.

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Lol....can't says I blame ya....to pay more for shipping than the actual item being purchased would be ridiculous. I ordered a couple at that price and a bunch of other goodies so $7 for shipping isn't too bad.

And then if you have orders over $100, your shipping is free.

Sorry JB....

The plug was $6.50. The shipping was $7.00!!! I didn't get it.

Tad Bit Tipsy

Jan 2, 2010
Pensacola,FL
Why would you guys ship a plug. You can go to any parts store and have them order it, no shipping cost at all. I have the guys here at Oreilly's stocking at least three different plugs for me at all times, all I had to do was ask!

fredgold52

Dec 3, 2009
Illinois
I'm going plug shopping this morning. I have to say that so far I am amazed at the heat range we're talking about. I've been a motorcycle mechanic since the days you could buy a new Honda 160. That's a long time ago. Seems to me the Honda and Yamaha 4 stroke street bikes ran NGK B8hs or es. If it needed to be warmer than that, you could go to a 7. Note: Champion plugs numbers go the other way - bigger number + hotter plug.

I have only seen a couple NGK's in the 5 range, some 6's and lots of 7's and 8's. I want good performance out of my engine too, but I'd rather run a cool plug, foul it and replace it, than cook a piston. So I'm gonna be looking for an NGK C8HSA. 7 would probably be OK too, but no 6's for my engine.