Question,,The pedals are compeletely locked up since I've put the chain on.

GoldenMotor.com

axeiom

Aug 28, 2009
Chicago
Hi all, First time here for me. You all got great ideas and helpful tips.

I've mounted my grubee skyhawk 2 stroke engine. Chain and sprocket installed.
All i gotta do is do the carburator, clutch, and accelerator.

Only thing I've noticed so far is my I can pedal my bike. The pedals are compeletely locked up since I've put the chain on. I thought would still be able to pedal my bike with the engine not running.
what happen:-||

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Re: Question

Yes,
I didn't state that very clearly. You are right. Attach the cable to the arm. Then you can depress the clutch handle and you can then roll the bike, peddle it or whatever. As it is with the chain and rear sprocket in place the motor is not allowing you to move the wheel unless you push really hard or take out the spark plug relieving compression in the motor. You'll get it. The hard part is over... that rear sprocket. Let us know how it goes. Wish I could take my first ride on a china girl all over again.... big grin until the chain jumped the sprocket. I didn't have things lined up right. But what a rush it was when all went as it should. Take your time setting up and have a great ride!
Silverbear

axeiom

Aug 28, 2009
Chicago

Thanks for all your help. Its dark now so I'll prolly figure it out tomorrow. Today was spent mounting the engine, sprocket, and chain. It was really hard work. I hope i did it all right. I'm not very mechanically inclined.

:-||

axeiom

Aug 28, 2009
Chicago

I took out the spark plug. the wheels spins a little more freely without the plug. I can hear the piston make the put put put sound. So as long as I attach the clutch cable to the clutch arm then the wheels should move completely free with out turning the engine?

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota

I took out the spark plug. the wheels spins a little more freely without the plug. I can hear the piston make the put put put sound. So as long as I attach the clutch cable to the clutch arm then the wheels should move completely free with out turning the engine?
Correct! It will roll freely then with just alittle drag from the chain.
Silverbear

axeiom

Aug 28, 2009
Chicago

Silverbear. Ok i did what you said. I attached the clutch cable to the clutch arm. When I press the clutch handle and lock it in place the bicycle moves freely. When I unlock the clutch handle the bicycle does not move freely and turns the engine.

How far to the right does the clutch arm have to move. I noticed it barely moves to the right but it still works. Is it suppose to move way to the right?

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota

It sounds to me like you've got it the way it should be. Congratulations! Pretty soon you should be ready to fire it up for a test run. Let us know how it goes...
Silverbear

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado

Silverbear. Ok i did what you said. I attached the clutch cable to the clutch arm. When I press the clutch handle and lock it in place the bicycle moves freely. When I unlock the clutch handle the bicycle does not move freely and turns the engine.

How far to the right does the clutch arm have to move. I noticed it barely moves to the right but it still works. Is it suppose to move way to the right?
Silver Bear is probably asleep by now. He's old... :)
To answer your question, it doesn't really make much difference how far the clutch actuator lever moves as long as it disengages the clutch. It sounds like you've done everything right so far. Keep us informed of your progress and ask if there's future questions; we're all here to help in any way we can. ( I can make jokes about Silver Bear's age. I'm about as old as he is.)
Tom

axeiom

Aug 28, 2009
Chicago

Thanks guys. You've all been very helpful and given me some assurrance.
Now I just gotta adjust my chain a bit, install the acceleartor, CDI, fuel tank.
Hope it all goes well.

Its a Grubee Skyhawk GT5 80cc from bikeberry. Not sure how reliable this engine is and
I hope bikeberry is a reputable dealer and didnt pull a fast one on me. I'm not really big
on buying things online.

I see a lot of troubleshooting issues with other people's engines (engine not starting,
engine dying, oil/fuel leaks, etc) are these problems common with all engines?.bld.
Are many of these problems a result of a bad engine from the factory or bad
assembly/lack of skill of the user.

My engine is installed on a Diamondback 19 in frame Comfort Bike.
I live in Chicago

Last edited:

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota

Silver Bear is probably asleep by now. He's old... :)
To answer your question, it doesn't really make much difference how far the clutch actuator lever moves as long as it disengages the clutch. It sounds like you've done everything right so far. Keep us informed of your progress and ask if there's future questions; we're all here to help in any way we can. ( I can make jokes about Silver Bear's age. I'm about as old as he is.)
Tom
Old Tom,
You got that right. The sun goes down and I start fading away, then up with the sun in the morning. I'm an elder now and that's the way of things. I remember a time when I thought thirty was old. One thing I do know is that staying active with things that interest you is good... like these motorbicycles. And you and I both know that we don't heal up so well as we once did, so avoid situations where we can get hurt and not be able to ride for a long time. I've had a few mishaps which taught me to be careful, but no real wrecks. People say it will happen some time to everybody, but I'm going to do everything I can to postpone that until the twelfth of never. I go a little faster than I should, I guess, but give the bike a regular check over for tightness and soundness of things. I'd like to still be riding when I'm a geezer. Right now I'm a kind of geezer with training wheels, in training for active geezerdom. If a time ever comes where I live in a wheelchair, I want one with a 2 cycle motor on it. Ha!
Silverbear (aka grandpa geezerman)

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota

Thanks guys. You've all been very helpful and given me some assurrance.
Now I just gotta adjust my chain a bit, install the acceleartor, CDI, fuel tank.
Hope it all goes well.

Its a Grubee Skyhawk GT5 80cc from bikeberry. Not sure how reliable this engine is and
I hope bikeberry is a reputable dealer and didnt pull a fast one on me. I'm not really big
on buying things online.

I see a lot of troubleshooting issues with other people's engines (engine not starting,
engine dying, oil/fuel leaks, etc) are these problems common with all engines?.bld.
Are many of these problems a result of a bad engine from the factory or bad
assembly/lack of skill of the user.

My engine is installed on a Diamondback 19 in frame Comfort Bike.
I live in Chicago
It sounds like you're getting close. It's good that you read the posts and are trying to do things right and safely. It is true that you read posts here which make it sound like we spend most of our time fixing and very little of it riding. It used to be like that with snowmobiles in this part of the country... always breaking down far from home in the worst weather. Things do sometimes go wrong, but people don't send in posts saying, "runs fine, went to work, nothing happened." It is kind of like the hospital or doctor's office, only showing up when something is wrong. Spend much time at a hospital and you get the idea just about everybody is sick. I spend a lot more time riding than fixing and I suspect that's true of most of us here. That said, it is also good to anticipate trouble and do what you can ahead of time to avoid it. This forum is great for giving us that information and for having people here willing to share. The deal is to pass it along sometime and help somebody else out who is even newer than you to motorbicycling.
One thing I would suggest is that when you have everything hooked up and think you're ready to go for a spin, put the clutch in and walk along with the bike for a block or so, making sure the chain doesn't want to jump the sprocket, which it will if things aren't lined up right. Make sure that tensioner is tight to the frame so that it can't twist on you. Got a helmet?
I can hardly wait to hear how things went.
Silverbear

axeiom

Aug 28, 2009
Chicago

Is it ok if I use Walmart Brand (Super Tech) 2 cycle oil?
I'm having trouble finding 2 cycle oil but Walmart has plenty of their house brand in stock and its cheap $3.75 and it has a built in oil ratio mixer measuring thing on it.

Whats the capacity of the fuel tank?

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota

Is it ok if I use Walmart Brand (Super Tech) 2 cycle oil?
I'm having trouble finding 2 cycle oil but Walmart has plenty of their house brand in stock and its cheap $3.75 and it has a built in oil ratio mixer measuring thing on it.

Whats the capacity of the fuel tank?
I don't have answers for you on this one. Your seller's information should tell you what size tank you bought, but you're going to mix it in a can anyway so it doesn't really matter. I would suggest just filling the tank on the bike about half way with the mixed gas. I'm sure the oil is OK, but I can't advise you on the ratio. There are lots of threads here on mix ratios and frankly some of it is confusing. I would suggest you use Opti-2 or Amsoil Sabre Professional from my own experience, others will swear by breaking in the engine with non synthetic oil. This is a judgment you'll have to make. Maybe 2door will weigh in on this one.
Silverbear

axeiom

Aug 28, 2009
Chicago

I started up my bike today. I suppose it was somewhat of a success.

My bike still needs more road testing.
I have not yet hooked up the kill switch wiring yet.
I know my bike is still a work in progress.

I locked the clutch and started to freely pedal my bike to get going. After pedaling for about 20
feet, I unlocked the clutch and the engine kicked in. I didnt go full throttle and went about
300 ft and back. I didnt want to go to far and too fast. But I at least know the engine works.

I guess the only problem is my engine does not idle. As soon as I release the throttle and
lock the clutch so I can slow down to stop, the engine completely dies off. Is that normal?
I have no problem restarting the engine but when I slow down to stop the engine cuts out.
I have no idle.

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota

I started up my bike today. I suppose it was somewhat of a success.

My bike still needs more road testing.
I have not yet hooked up the kill switch wiring yet.
I know my bike is still a work in progress.

I locked the clutch and started to freely pedal my bike to get going. After pedaling for about 20
feet, I unlocked the clutch and the engine kicked in. I didnt go full throttle and went about
300 ft and back. I didnt want to go to far and too fast. But I at least know the engine works.

I guess the only problem is my engine does not idle. As soon as I release the throttle and
lock the clutch so I can slow down to stop, the engine completely dies off. Is that normal?
I have no problem restarting the engine but when I slow down to stop the engine cuts out.
I have no idle.
Congratulations! It sounds like your first test flight was a real success. You need to adjust the idle screw on the side of the carburetor. Mine has a little spring on it. One of my motors idles as it should and the other won't until I replace the adjusting screw... mine was cast with a curve in it so that it can only screw in part way... I don't worry about it for now and keep the motor going at a stop with the throttle control. It's good to be cautious with these first runs, especially. The more you ride and tweak this and that, the more confident you will be that it will get you where you're going. Have fun,
Silverbear

axeiom

Aug 28, 2009
Chicago
I fixed the idle issue. It worked. Thanks silverbear.

Now here's the new problem.

I rode around the block for 40 mins at various speeds. It was a fun/good
ride.cvlt1

Then all of a sudden the engine just slowly died. I tried to restart but no sucess. When I try to restart the engine would make the put put put sound then die.

Any ideas. Just when I fix one problem another comes up. I hope its not serious problem though.

:-||

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi

I spend a lot more time riding than fixing and I suspect that's true of most of us here.
Silverbear
It's when there's nothing to fix so you begin to tinker and modify that you know you're in REAL trouble! .cptr.